Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Nov 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1780073)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lola T640/T642/T644

Mark Wilson's Lola T644E, and that folks, I guess, is a rarity, since it was the only one at the Walter Hayes Trophy meeting:-

Last edited by John Turner; 2 Dec 2006 at 09:52.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1780074)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think a few more T644Es must be around somewhere. Looking at old programmes tends to indicate that there are, or were, at least several around.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1780075)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Lola T644E I believe was a development of the very successful T640. I don't think it sold as well as the Reynards and Van Diemans of the day, but still won quite a few races. I also think that it's possibly the last Formula Ford that Lola made.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1780076)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's certainly a different and interesting shape! When were the T644s built, Ian/Alan?

Last edited by John Turner; 2 Dec 2006 at 09:53.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1780077)   #5
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Julian Bailey won the Festival in a Lola in 1982 and Gerrit van Kouwen a year or two later.

Was there not the T642 between the T640 and the T644E?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 10:30 (Ref:1780079)   #6
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Julian Bailey won the Festival in a Lola in 1982 and Gerrit van Kouwen a year or two later.

If my memory serves me correctly Andrew Gilbert Scott was favourite for the 81 festival in a T640 but changed to the new Reynard at the last minute.

Julian Bailey won the 1982 Festival in a T640, but only after being attacked by Maurizio Gugelmin (who ended upside down on top of the tyre wall). I have a video of it and Baileys suspension seems to bend as Gugelmin went over the top. It didn't seem to matter as Bailey carried on regardless!

There was a T642.

Gerrit van Kouwen won the 1984 Festival in a T644E. (I think the 'E' stood for European version)

The T640, T642 & T644E all look pretty much the same externally.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1780080)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
If my memory serves me correctly Andrew Gilbert Scott was favourite for the 81 festival in a T640 but changed to the new Reynard at the last minute.
1983 Alan, yet another win for 'Patch'. That was the Festival when Ross Cheever and Sandro-Sala had that almighty shunt at Paddock.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1780081)   #8
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only Reynard win in the top class.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1780082)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
1983 Alan, yet another win for 'Patch'. That was the Festival when Ross Cheever and Sandro-Sala had that almighty shunt at Paddock.
I was viewing from the bottom of Paddock Hill. It was wasn't a question of if it was going to happen but when!
Old 16 Nov 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1780084)   #10
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller

The Lolas described came out in 1982-83-84 respectively for the T640/642/644s. I think Alan's right the 'E' was for a European car as opposed to the US version - different tyres I think.

They were never especially numerous, though all very quick, as shown by results. Don't know why they weren't more popular, perhaps the 'Reynard marketing machine' was in full flow by then, and VDs had many years of history and success behind them. Maybe they were more expensive?

The last year, 84, the main success was van Kouwen at the Festival, though Markie Blundell won the SoT in a T644E I think.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1780089)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
The last year, 84, the main success was van Kouwen at the Festival, though Markie Blundell won the SoT in a T644E I think.
Think it was a Graeme Glew 'Team Touraco' car?
Old 16 Nov 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1780090)   #12
JohnMiller
Veteran

Fleetray Racing?
Old 2 Dec 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1780134)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I've copied (and edited a couple of mine!) these posts from the Walter Hayes Trophy meeting thread, which is in the 'Historic Racing Today' forum. It seemed that there was thread within a thread worth developing here. Anyone care to do so?
Old 2 Dec 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1780241)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Do you mean develop this thread, or edit/copy some of your posts?!!

Well i'm pretty sure the Van Kouwen car was definitely Touraco. It was a sort of dark yellow colour with red sign writing and from memory the only car really capable of challenging the Coyne/Peters works Van Diemen, Pratt Madgwick Reynard steamroller that year and the Festival win was a masterstroke!
Old 2 Dec 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1780361)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Do you mean develop this thread, or edit/copy some of your posts?!
Err, Yes, cos I've already done the latter which is why it's here!
Old 2 Dec 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1780377)   #16
JohnMiller
Veteran

I meant Billy Blundell's car ran under the Fleetray Racing banner. I though Van Kouwen ran his team himself but I might be wrong.

Last edited by JohnMiller; 2 Dec 2006 at 16:09.
Old 2 Dec 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1780414)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Err, Yes, cos I've already done the latter which is why it's here!
Pulling your leg!
Old 3 Dec 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1780700)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, so is this one we can get a hold on how many built, the chassis numbers, and who they were delivered to initially?
Old 3 Dec 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1781010)   #19
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to own and race a Lola T642E and ran it for four sucessfull seasons in Monoposto. I think it was chassis no49...in my notes somewhere.
I think it was an ex Dave Morgan car, Rob Goodwin won the mono 1600 championship in it and i bought it off a guy called Mike Fyles. I sold it in 2001 to Oli Stirling and now i believe its in Australia or NZ.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 16:01 (Ref:1781743)   #20
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry chassis 45. Here it is.. http://www.formulaford1600.com.au/MA...s/historic.htm
Old 29 Dec 2006, 17:25 (Ref:1801353)   #21
Aowl
Rookie

Aowl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Markie Blundell won the SoT in a T644E I think.
It is my understanding that it is my car, in fact, which is the one in which he achieved that title.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1801424)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Welcome Aowl; can you provide a chassis number?
Old 30 Dec 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1801683)   #23
Aowl
Rookie

Hi Thanks for the welcome.

Its not with me atm, however I'm pretty sure the chassis plate says T644E Chassis #11, i will check on that though.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1802108)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Great, will await your confirmation!

Anyone else able to identify any chassis nos?
Old 31 Dec 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1802347)   #25
Aowl
Rookie

Quote:
The Lolas described came out in 1982-83-84 respectively for the T640/642/644s. I think Alan's right the 'E' was for a European car as opposed to the US version - different tyres I think.
The Tailpieces are different between the US and E versions too.

The E versions have moulding around the rear suspension which is essentially horizontal, whilst the US tail flipped up at the back in a sort of wing like affair (apparently), i only have the Euro rear end.

As i posted elsewhere.. can anybody help me get in touch with Simon Davey. When work changed ownership all my email stuff got messed up and/or lost.

Help? Anybody?