Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Aug 2009, 17:57 (Ref:2516271)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
You'd be surprised how many times recently I've seen racing fans who wouldn't normally go to an historic meeting say that they would have liked to go but thought it was too expensive.
I wouldn't I'm afraid, simply because someone will always tell you there's a better deal elsewhere. Human nature.

They could have bought a one day ticket presumably (?) so got to see some of the event, if they really wanted to go, but I suspect they equate "historic" with slow, uncompetitive and old. Which as you know is not the case. Thus they'd baulk at paying the cost of a BTCC ticket if that was what the Festival was charging.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 22:23 (Ref:2516446)   #27
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Well, here's a thought starter for you? Saturday was HEAVING. Sunday dead.
Saturday had the dusk race, and Santana. Otherwise, pretty much the same card.
I guess £35 for 12 hours of racing (near enough) and a top act playing live made sense to however many more people?
Old 6 Aug 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2516620)   #28
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To answer a question, yes I had to pay for a stand. The 3x3 tent was £400 + VAT which was great value.

MG Live preaches to the converted and is a massive social event. The racing is just clubbie and compared to times past there weren't many people watching it, I hardly think my Midget or Montego compare with the Group C cars/F1 cars/w.h.y. as a draw. Just think how many museum entry fees you'd have to pay to even see that lot static let alone racing, then compare it to the SC ticket prices LOL!

Several years back I went to the "old" classic at its height as a Friday spectator with a load of friends from work - car enthusiasts, not petrol heads. We adored the Festival format, able to dip in and out, look at other things - IIRC there was a Rallysprint too or is memory fading? It was c. £20 to get in on practice day, and that must have been 10 years ago?

More power to Ken's elbow I think there is the potential for a real family day out, which means drivers will *want* to race at such a big event, which means I'll get more custom.

There's room for everyone - Redshoes can go to Masters Brands, others to Silverstone Classic. Just because it's not *your* cup of tea, it's not *wrong*, just *different*. And my bank balance says that SC09 wasn't *wrong*! It's great there's someone trying something new - do the same old thing, you get the same old result.

Oh and as a competitor I'd much rather pay a premium and do fewer high-quality meetings than lots of "cheap" 20 minutes around Combe, Lydden or whatever.......(which require just as much effort and outlay in preparation etc. Be honest, entry fees are a minor part of race costs)

Last edited by midgetman; 6 Aug 2009 at 07:45. Reason: Clarity
Old 6 Aug 2009, 08:01 (Ref:2516629)   #29
Ken Prichard Jones
Rookie

Ken Prichard Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks for all your comments. We are trying to take the SC into the mainstream of family entertainment and have something for all the family to enjoy. This is a difficult task whilst trying to preserve and enhance the quality of the racing experience for both the drivers and the spectators. We, probably, got the ticket price for Sunday wrong although the radio stations forecasting heavy rain on Sunday must have deterred a lot of people. However, there is keen interest in next year's event from all the grid organisers and many drivers already and we have received a lot of positive feedback (with helpful criticism and constructive suggestions) from many sources. The best and cheapest way to come to the SC, as a spectator, is to be a member of a Classic Car club and bring your car. That way, a family of four could have attended on all three days for less than £80.00 in total. We want to encourage more car club displays and hope that this deal will bring in more enthusiasts' families.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2516630)   #30
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just out of interest its Old Timers this weekend .Does anyone know how much it is to spectate at the Nurburgring.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 08:12 (Ref:2516632)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Details here:

Weekend pass Euro 58
Historic Paddock Euro 350.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2516635)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The classic car attendance for static displays is a great idea, It boosts attendance, revenue and the overall spectacle, there are more nice old road cars to look at than there ever has (or will be) racing cars.

althought that might be open to debate given the proliferation of continuations and facsimiles in the last few years.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2516637)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
On the subject of going to a historic event, if people want a great weekend at a large festival then look no further than Spa in September. But then again perhaps the cost of getting there would be too much, easier to go and watch a BTCC event.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2516639)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
We always say the same, Spa is the best spectacle and for all the right reasons yet it still reminds us of how difficult it is to draw a crowd to an historic meeting. Its no longer a trip for us South of London than a trip to Oulton PArk say, but phsycologicaly its different.

the biggest thing going for Silverstone in this respect is its central location nationally
Old 6 Aug 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2516652)   #35
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Spa is a super weekend and one of the great Historic Races,6 hrs,but no spectators.
Idea,Why not organise a Ten Tenths trip.Cheap and cheerful.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2516656)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
A Chara trip?
Old 6 Aug 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2516660)   #37
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
That's Spa sorted.
80 Quid for four people for weekend,SF ,best value in Historic UK Motorsport.
Don't understand the moaners about pop concert.If you are a racing fan you have a free concert and if a pop fan free racing.No brainer
These bods ,especially on TNF,who complain about concerts don't seem to have the same reservations about contributing within their entrance fee to the Goodwood Party on Sat night which cost as much to stage as the concerts and can only be attended by invitation.You have options at Silverstone.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2516667)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
On the point of getting there, as an enthusiast if I weren't racing I'd look to see if I could slot in with one of the teams and in return do some running for them. If not then why not take the classic car and get into the relevant paddock parking?

Haven't booked my crossing yet but there's usually a spare seat in the car and the ticket covers car and passengers.

Anyway back to the topic.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2516679)   #39
dirty boy
Rookie

dirty boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an enthusiast, this was my second year at the Classic, I thoroughly enjoyed it, although Sunday was a bit 'quiet' with little to keep people there late on. (The campsite at Whittlebury was empty by 6pm).

When you're paying that little bit extra for a weekend ticket, from my point of view, we wanted to make bit more of a holiday out of it, 8 of us pitched up Friday. Friday and Saturday were superb, but as a group of enthusiasts (and male) we enjoyed having a few beers during the day, which prevented us going home that night, but we were left with little to do but break out the guitar in the tent and sing poorly.

But then I suppose the race teams etc are keen to get home and have jobs themselves, balance is always difficult.

Personally, the only thing(s) I missed were the Rally demonstrations of last year and the slightly special sight of the JPS and 6 wheeler but that's nothing to do with the organisers.

Group C and the WSCM are a massive draw evidently, and the stands were pretty much full (decent ones) by the time we'd wandered there.

Myself and a mate also managed to get on the pit wall at one point, albeit accidently - we were unaware of the restriction, however, we had a stroke of luck in being able to stay there - won't say how!

All i'd say is that, 4 of our group did Le Mans last year, and said they enjoyed this more, being able to wander around the cars and speak to the drivers has massive appeal to Joe Public, if not a pain for the drivers and teams themselves, but they should remember they're the attraction.

Good work i'd say. Maybe one day i'll be racing instead of watching - who knows.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 10:31 (Ref:2516696)   #40
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Nice post "dirty boy"
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2516710)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agreed, it sounds like the weekends I used to have there too.

Interesting comment about the quiet Sunday. I note this is a recurring theme. Why though?
Old 6 Aug 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2516775)   #42
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder how long it will be before my Focus becomes a classic and then the family and I can do the 3 days for £80 ??

The issue with the concerts is clouded because for several months they were a separate cost (£60-£100 for the Saturday one from memory), then they disappeared completely and finally re-appeared 'for free'.

£20 per day, with a discount for a 3 day pass, is what I would expect if the event was at Brands but £79 (in advance, plus nearly £7 in fees ) was a huge hike from 2008.

I felt the overall 2008 event was better, the actual racing was excellent both years, but I would prefer a motorsport event rather than an event where motorsport is a part. When the event was launched it seemed to be a music event with racing, Rocking and Racing I believe, and the concert tickets were the big sell. Hopefully that idea has now gone and it can return to a racing event. Maybe the Scarf and Goggles can return).

I spent 3 enjoyable days at this years event but the reason for my comments is that it could be so much better.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2516798)   #43
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excuse my ignorance, what was the Scarf and Goggles?
Old 6 Aug 2009, 14:52 (Ref:2516801)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Excuse my ignorance, what was the Scarf and Goggles?
It was the "pub" where most of us got ****ed with the drivers (when I was there spectating) every evening.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2516805)   #45
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In hindsight,perhaps,because of the lower than expected ST turn out,there were quite a few more who did not/could not run,would it not better just to stick with a cut off date of 1975 frinstance.No Minis,nothing modern-ish?.

Last time I left the Scarf and Goggles it became The Garf and Scoggles.Was a good meeting place [after your race!] though.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2516806)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
1983 seems a good cut off for touring cars. Let's not forget that it was originally billed as the David Leslie tribute race. He ran in the ST era so that's why it was pitched at that particular period. Personally i think an F3 race would have been more appropriate but hey ho.

So if (and I do think its valid) there is a race for more recent touring cars it should at least go to December 1982 when Group 1 and Group 2 was canned in favour of more sophisticated regs.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 15:13 (Ref:2516809)   #47
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK then,75 was only a starting point.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2516817)   #48
dirty boy
Rookie

dirty boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit more feedback.

I think the organisers can consider anything pre 1990.

It's worth bearing in mind the audience they've tried to appeal to (with Pussy Cat Dolls, Blue) it's going to be anyone born around late 80's early 90's, hence you have to think about what cars were on the walls of those born at that time.

I was born in 1980, I had a Porsche 930 Flatnose/Lambo Countach on my wall, not exactly what you see racing, but you see my point, some cars are considered classics to other generations, as much as 1930's cars are appealing, it's the cars you say "oh, when I was lad, a bloke up the road had one of those" some cars stir the emotions, bring back memories, which would explain why I missed the Group B rally stuff, as they were charging about when I was a lad.

Variety is the key I think.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2516823)   #49
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of Group B - how about a rally stage again? I know that the Rallysprint stage has gone but surely something could be done, along with the "Slowly Sideways" Group.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2516824)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty boy View Post
Bit more feedback.

I think the organisers can consider anything pre 1990.
Well that is twenty years ago.

Quote:
It's worth bearing in mind the audience they've tried to appeal to (with Pussy Cat Dolls, Blue) it's going to be anyone born around late 80's early 90's, hence you have to think about what cars were on the walls of those born at that time.
Not sure that works really, it was after all only post race entertainment. But Blue?

Quote:
I was born in 1980, I had a Porsche 930 Flatnose/Lambo Countach on my wall, not exactly what you see racing, but you see my point, some cars are considered classics to other generations,
Shame you missed Moby Dick but never mind.

Your point is valid but where would a line be drawn? It's perhaps better to reflect where technology changes arrived rather than years. As a f'rinstance turbos arrived in Formula one in 1977, so theoretically you could run a Formula One series from 1977 to 1985 when tubos were banned/restricted. The problem comes with changes of car design in that period because we went from flat bottom, to ground effect and back to flat bottom.

Quote:
as much as 1930's cars are appealing, it's the cars you say "oh, when I was lad, a bloke up the road had one of those" some cars stir the emotions, bring back memories, which would explain why I missed the Group B rally stuff, as they were charging about when I was a lad.

Variety is the key I think.
Well if its a historic meeting, you cannot forget the pre war stuff simply because; a) they are seriously difficult to drive, b) they provide real entertainment even if on the track they don't look fast and c) we would be the poorer if they were locked away in a museum.

Many people say that either their dad, or they, had a Capri (which I race). It even gets a bit boring talking about oversteer to people because the car had that reputation. But we do talk to people and that is part of the privilege of racing historic or classic cars.

The festival sounds to me like it was a success in terms of the entertainment value for the officianados but maybe lost something for those who would just like to take a peek. It suggests to me that it should play to its strengths rather than pander to a wider audience who will go away if there's no Pussycat Dolls.