Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Sep 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3306152)   #1
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 USGP: Better promotion than last year

If you look to the left, you can see that I live in the Houston, Texas area. For the geographically challenged, that's roughly two hours from Austin and CotA.

Last year, the inaugural USGP had almost zero regional promotion. I am pretty certain that the promoters were using the inaugural event as the draw. It appears to have paid off, as over 118,000 people attended last year.

This year, they have to promote, and I'm seeing that locally. I've seen ads on at least two local stations for the 2013 USGP. I've also seen billboards next to the major freeways (I-10 and the Sam Houston Tollway).

That's a good thing, mehtinks. I don't know how much promotion there is in other regional markets (Dallas, San Antonio) or other large markets (NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.) for the USGP. I'd imagine very little in the larger markets, because the people who are able to attend don't need a commercial to remind them.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3306208)   #2
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It may be a preemptive strike against the forthcoming return to Mexico which MAY hurt USGP attendance if Mexican F1 fans have to choose between the two going forward, or maybe because there is a concern the 2013 WDC & WCC may be decided before then.

In any case, eventually the novelty factor will wear off once and IF Mexico and New Jersey ever happen but attendance will drop regardless because of the lack of a strong US fan base and of course the cost of tickets and lodging which was criticized as being way over priced and inadequate without driving an hour.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3306347)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I'm sure our race will be very well attended , I don't think there is anything to worry about, Mexico, or New Jersey aren't going to affect the Austin race....
Old 19 Sep 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3306379)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 22 Sep 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3307216)   #5
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If hotel availability and prices ate any indication, this year will have massive attendance. I ended up using AirBNB to find a place that wasn't over $250/night for a 1.5 star hotel...
Old 22 Sep 2013, 02:06 (Ref:3307228)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
You should be able to find far better prices than that if you are prepared to travel to the Grand Prix ...

I think camping is going to start to become popular as we'll for many fans ...