Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jun 2017, 10:42 (Ref:3740201)   #1
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
speedy27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Winton 2017 - event pics

A historic race meeting with a difference at Winton, approx. 2.5 hours north of Melbourne, Australia.

It was the 41st running of this annual event, which differs to the norm here by virtue of being a combined bike and car race meeting and also with a heavier than usual emphasis on the pre-1960 racing and sports racing cars.

This is a link to some of my pics from the event. Clicking on 'show more' near the top of the page shows the sequence of the pics plus a link to the results for easy ID of vehicles and drivers.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/petere...57684665883066

If the hyperlink doesn't work, just copy and paste the following into your browser address bar : https://www.flickr.com/photos/petere...57684665883066

Last edited by speedy27; 11 Jun 2017 at 10:56. Reason: Hyperlink not working!
Old 14 Jun 2017, 13:07 (Ref:3741183)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Stunning pics of stunning cars Peter, many thanks

Is that a March F3000 chassis, 87B or 88B in there somewhere?!
Old 14 Jun 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3741227)   #3
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Stunning pics of stunning cars Peter, many thanks

Is that a March F3000 chassis, 87B or 88B in there somewhere?!
Much appreciated, thanks.

No F3000's ran at this meeting. They were called Formula Holden here (using the local V6 engines) and, as far as I know, there is at least one early March still in the country, but never seen it at a historic event. So far, only three have been restored and are regularly running, being two local cars and a Ralt, but none ran at this meeting!
Old 14 Jun 2017, 16:40 (Ref:3741273)   #4
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Peter. Great pics really.
Did I see a Simca Aronde??? And a Versailles or Beaulieu or Chambord????? Both RHD!!! Has this kind of stuff ever been imported of brought by a typhoon?
And your Austin university with a door opened to Cambridge!!
Can you tell me what is the bike # 110 (Aermacchi, Paton may be) please? I use to buy parts from TSS (the Two Stroke Shop) do they still exist?
Positive (Bugatti) or negative, you love camber (Minis). It so good to have news from another continent (planet!).
Old 26 Jun 2017, 04:03 (Ref:3746862)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
chunterer, I'm guessing you mean either car 22 which is a 1982 Martini Mk47, while 97 & 112 are both Ralt RT4's

Gerard, #110 is listed as a 1962 Motobi GP replica, 250cc.

Yes there was an Aronde as well as a Vedette - can't imagine how long it has been since they have appeared on track together! As well as the A90 that was racing, there were also an A50 and A105 in the car park.

Thanks for sharing the photos Peter,
Attached Thumbnails
Simca Racing Team.jpg  
Old 26 Jun 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3746886)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think the 3000 chassis must've been in one of Peter's other albums then.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 12:10 (Ref:3747268)   #7
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
john, thanks for your clarifications. Couldn't spot the Motobi, et zut alors!
Your two Simca's are pure wonders. This brand offered the best alternative to Peugeot's down here. The Aronde (swallow) was popular with a 4 cylinder and so were the Versailles based on a Ford V8 and 3 speed gearbox.
Are you aware of any connection between those racers and the French clubs, Simca owners and/or Club Vedette or may be Obsolete Ford? Would be great!
Some names changed overt the years, when Simca took over the Ford France subsidiary. Simca's boss Henri Pigozzi did like pompous names, such like Versailles or Chambord …
Old 7 Jul 2017, 22:46 (Ref:3749507)   #8
emseetv
Rookie

Australia
Gosford, NSW Australia
emseetv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Winton - Group N Race 2

The 2017 Historic Winton meeting was held on 27-28 May. It is the oldest annual historic meeting in Australia and features motorcycle and car races across various classes in a fantastic weekend celebrating the preservation of these classic machines. The meeting is jointly conducted by the The Austin Seven Club and The Historic Motorcycle Racing Association of Victoria. I've produced two videos from the meet. The link below is for the Group N Historics plus I've also released a video of Race 3 of the Sidecars from the meeting also. Hope you enjoy.... here's the YouTube link...
https://youtu.be/d2bAJk9ojWI

Last edited by MagnetON; 8 Jul 2017 at 10:16. Reason: Pre-Approved
Old 7 Jul 2017, 23:29 (Ref:3749512)   #9
emseetv
Rookie

Australia
Gosford, NSW Australia
Great shots Peter. It was an great weekend with some excellent racing in both the cars and bikes.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 15:23 (Ref:3749599)   #10
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Did I see a Simca Aronde??? And a Versailles or Beaulieu or Chambord????? Both RHD!!! Has this kind of stuff ever been imported of brought by a typhoon?
Can you tell me what is the bike # 110 (Aermacchi, Paton may be) please? I use to buy parts from TSS (the Two Stroke Shop) do they still exist?
Positive (Bugatti) or negative, you love camber (Minis). It so good to have news from another continent (planet!).
Sincere apologies for the delayed response, but being a child of the late 70s and early 80s, most of your questions had me sweating when I read them It's good to see that they have already been answered, but if you need more info, there is a link to the results which appears when you click on 'see more' near the top of the album page.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the pics and it's a treat to be able to spread the enjoyment of these events to people who are not readily able to be at them. Take care.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3749600)   #11
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by emseetv View Post
Great shots Peter. It was an great weekend with some excellent racing in both the cars and bikes.
Thanks for taking the time to look. Great videos from you too - looks like really hard work to produce these packages from the perspective of this stills shooter!
Old 8 Jul 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3749623)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy27 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to look at the pics and it's a treat to be able to spread the enjoyment of these events to people who are not readily able to be at them. Take care.
Ho no, thanks to You speedy27 for sharing those great moments. Take care too!
Old 10 Jul 2017, 04:11 (Ref:3750085)   #13
emseetv
Rookie

Australia
Gosford, NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy27 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to look. Great videos from you too - looks like really hard work to produce these packages from the perspective of this stills shooter!
Yep... takes a bit of time but I did them as a thanks to the organisers who put on a great show. I was actually down there to follow the bikes as I'm producing a documentary on the 500cc Classics with a focus on Bob Rosenthal's Matchless G50. Hoping to release it mid next year. But... ya gotta love the bangers!
Old 27 Jul 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3754910)   #14
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Simca Arondes and Vedette V8 were sold in Australie...and were reasonably popular for a time...the French Blue Aronde has been campaigned here for many years in Historics...
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:23 (Ref:3754970)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thank you GTB, fantastic part of Simca's story you have here. I've always been amazed by Henri Pigozzi's personal story he was a pioneer of car marketing. From a strict commercial point of view I wonder if exporting that far was worth.
A model looking alike your Vedette but fitted with the Aronde 4 cylinder was named Ariane or Ariane 4. Very convenient for large families or parisian taxis.
Did you have other french cars in period?
Old 30 Jul 2017, 09:04 (Ref:3755862)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you GTB, fantastic part of Simca's story you have here. I've always been amazed by Henri Pigozzi's personal story he was a pioneer of car marketing. From a strict commercial point of view I wonder if exporting that far was worth.
A model looking alike your Vedette but fitted with the Aronde 4 cylinder was named Ariane or Ariane 4. Very convenient for large families or parisian taxis.
Did you have other french cars in period?
Bonjour Gerard, no never had French cars...however I did have the use of a Renault 10 for a several months once...and later did and engine overhaul on a similar car (gotta love the ease of fixing wet sleeve engines).

The Aronde Pilote is Geoff Rose, an ex-Navy man I got to know through working for La Defense myself :-)

I wanted to put some photos of the car up but now that Botophucket has decided to hold people to ransom for 3rd party hosting...well...I refuse to go chasing another hosting program that could also perform the same price gouging trick. So...I only post images on websites that will allow uploads.

Bon Chance! Mick
Old 30 Jul 2017, 09:44 (Ref:3755869)   #17
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You should be able to upload here as far as I am aware.

Up to 6 files per post.

Go for the "Reply" option and then, most likely, you'll need to scroll down a little to get to the "Additional Options" and then the "Manage Attachments" option.

HTH.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3755873)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Bonjour et merci beaucoup, Mike! I dont like the ransom system many so called modern sites put on us.
If you like the wet sleeves system may be you noticed that Renault use to fit paper seals tricky to replace while others used Orings.
The Renault 10 was not really the weapon on a windy road though
You can tell Geoff rose he has some new fans on another continent by now!
Bonne journée! Gérard.