Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 29 Oct 2001, 15:24 (Ref:166959)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher tips Hamilton as future ace

This is just in from Autosport.com:-

F1 star says McLaren protege has got what it takes Hamilton has received plaudits from Schumacher

Reigning Formula 1 World Champion Michael Schumacher has tipped British karting ace Lewis Hamilton as a Grand Prix star of the future.

Schumacher raced against Hamilton for the first time at the weekend in the final round of the Formula Super A karting World Championship at Kerpen in Germany. Schuey spun out of the first place but was classified as runner-up in the second, while Hamilton finished strongly in the top 10 in both events.

"He's a quality driver, very strong and only 16," said Schumacher. "If he keeps this up I'm sure he will reach F1. It's something special to see a kid of his age out on the circuit. He's clearly got the right racing mentality."

Hamilton, whose career is being masterminded by McLaren, has struggled in karts this year but will move up to cars in the upcoming Formula Renault Winter Series.

He said: "I never really had a chance to get near Schumacher, which was a shame because I'd have liked to beat him around a few corners."

High praise indeed.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 16:02 (Ref:166968)   #2
danielclarke
Rookie

danielclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Please!

Oh Please!

This is exactly what gives karting a bad name, competition is getting higher and higher until eventually the top money starts paying for the top drives and the top equipment. Hamilton, although he's not a poor driver, is the perfect example of any rich kid buying the best equipment and support to get him the best results. Don't get me wrong, he will probably get into F1, since money will get him there, and will probably get a good seat in McLaren, but there are plenty of drivers I could pick out for you that would "whup his ass" if they had the same opportunity :-)

His head is screwed on that's for sure, I've raced against him in the class I used to be in, which was the cheapest, and for the brief year he was there, racing a against drivers from all different financial levels, and he didn't shine through believe me. I've beaten him in races, and we struggled to fund that class! In fact, there are plenty of drivers in club racing who used to beat your Jenson Button and Justin Wilson in karting. Anyway, then Lewis was put in the expensive classes, with the expensive equipment, and suddenly he starts winning races and then heralded as the next F1 star.

If it was the first time I'd heard this about a karting driver, I would be laughing, but it isn't and now I'm starting to get annoyed by it. If people want to know who the best karting driver is coming up the ranks, they should put them all in equal karts and see how they get on, rich kids like Lewis Hamilton with their enormous US style motorhomes, (which cost more than the house I live in) Alex Lloyd and the likes of Michael Conway (who can't even heel and toe in FFord I might add) Would be forgotten about.

There are kids out there (I include myself because I'm sooo big-headed) Who have the genuine ability and determination to be the best. But simply can't afford the high costs that have arisen from the serious competition in just about every class of Motor Racing now. I achieved nothing special in Karting, due to lack of funds, I was in the cheapest class (TKM) which offers very close, competitive racing simply because all the financially-challenged drivers are in there. I came out with 4th in the British Championship in my last year (2000)

I then went into cars, single seaters with Silverstone Drive. I was lucky to be able to afford the £30k that got me in their BRDC championship. I won it, now I'm trying to fund an Avon Junior drive, but am struggling. Now people are telling me how good i am to have won the championship, I was only there because of money, if others had money, they would provide me with very close racing, prolly' even beat me, they fact is, racing is now about money, and not really ability.

Okay, in the lower classes, you'll see ability shining through, but that isn't on TV, that isn't in the public light. Whereas F1 for example, F3, FFord and FRenault, well it's only the well-off people that are there anyway, Avon Junior's will cost me £65k for the summer champs. Do you know anyone, personally, who could afford that? How about around £100k for Slick50?; £150k for FRenault?; £350k for F3?; and last but not least, millions for F1, well how much does F1 cost for the drivers not in the teams who can actually afford not to charge drivers, 'cos there aren't many. There's an experienced racing driver working for Silverstone Drive, well there are a few, but the guy organising BRDC FFord Championship that they run, Ken Bowes, will get anyone in F1 for only £5million. That's right:

F1 drive available, £5million o.n.o. Rich buggers apply within...

Come on all you financially-challenged drivers, lets all band together, and do..... do exactly nothing because money seems to simply dicate everything these days :-)

Regards

Daniel Clarke
http://www.DanielRacing.com
Old 29 Oct 2001, 16:23 (Ref:166974)   #3
Tim555
Rookie

Tim555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that was very well said Daniel, I can not agree more there, its exactly like motorsport today. But i have heard a rumor, that a new class is appearing next year with a better spec car than F3 thats 10xs cheaper and you get money for racing in it! Have you heard the same?
Old 29 Oct 2001, 17:09 (Ref:166988)   #4
danielclarke
Rookie

The Challenge Initiative

I think you mean the Challenge Initiative championship, it's setup by Peter Wardle and some other guy I'm not sure about. They will run cars producing 350+BHP with wide slicks and rear wings only so racing can be close.

Much bigger prize money should be available because 50% of ticket sales will go towards it, but I'm not sure if it will make money for you, it may not be that popular at first, depending on how it's marketed, by if I know Peter like I think I do, he's no fool, I think it will be a big success if all works out...

He's keen for me to race in it too next year, but I'm not sure how the schedule works yet, I have so many possibilities apart from FFord, I'm in the Michelin Renault Clio Scholarship with Tim Sugden Motorsport, I think I passed ROund 2, out of 5 rounds, so if that works out I should get a free drive in the Clio Cup next year too :-)

Regards

Daniel Clarke
Old 29 Oct 2001, 17:30 (Ref:166994)   #5
Tim555
Rookie

So why you looking to other championships if this is going to be so good? Any reasons why looking to do other things? Why has no more people heard about it at the moment?
Old 29 Oct 2001, 18:33 (Ref:167028)   #6
danielclarke
Rookie

The Challenge Initiative

Well I'm not sure if this is going to be good, if it isn't and I haven't looked at anything else, I'd be buggered wouldn't I? :-)

It might not get that much publicity, I have to look at progressing beyond next year or the year after that, if I'm going to make a career out of racing, it's no good racing in a low-profile class like old FFord's or something (No offence to those guys but it isn't for young racing drivers looking to progress through the ranks)

Regards

Daniel Clarke
Old 29 Oct 2001, 19:25 (Ref:167068)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
financing is a pain - quite a few people i know have had problems with the money side of it. then there's people who seem to have endless amounts of it. one (now infamous) story is of someone offering me a fiesta drive because he couldn't think of anyone else to offer it to.... (i don't have a racing licence or any experience..)

as for the kids in karting, if you're lucky enough to get snapped up by a big team, then you'll get the publicity that any other very good karter might miss out on, and if daddy runs out of money, then there's no safety net. i wait to see how lewis hamilton does in cars, but i won't be judging him on his first winter series. i shall just be very smug if he's spanked...

it's unfair to be nasty to kids that have a lot of financial support from daddy, because they usually get judged on their talent soon enough.

and as for publicity, it's something that usually happens accidentally. ask john b&q about that one....
Old 29 Oct 2001, 19:30 (Ref:167075)   #8
Tim555
Rookie

Daniel, hearing what I have, I think its going to be the most publicised motor racing series in this country let alone the world. Its a new concept and going to attract alot of people. Well as we both know we wont actually know this but the way its going to be run will be good, and the cars you said about are better than F3! Come on I rather watch u over take in stupid powerful cars than those paint drying f3 and formula renault and most times formula fords. This is were the big budget things go into cars that cant be overtaken, these are all the same and controlled, same engine, tyres, fuel, brakes etc etc etc you must know that.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 23:17 (Ref:167192)   #9
danielclarke
Rookie

Challenge initiativ

Yup, Peter is an experienced racer, he knows how to make cars fun to watch - the brekaes will be pretty poor too, so we will be able to overtake each other aswell :-)

Regards

Daniel Clarke
Old 30 Oct 2001, 09:51 (Ref:167321)   #10
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets not abuse drivers who happened to have a rich daddy. If I recall it right a guy named Senna was also pretty rich and still was an all right driver.
Also, maybe Justin Willson was beaten in gokarts, but as you will see he is 192cm-s and nearly 80kg. In F3000 where everybody has the same equipment he kicked butt pretty easily. Another fact, he did not pay for his ride this year, which means team Nordic thought he is good enough for a free ride. Finally, I do not see Justin buying a seat in F1 right now, so that much about your "rich kid" example.
Other than that I have to agree with you, I also raced in F3 of course not in the UK. I had to give up my seat after 2 races because of lack of funding. I do know what you are talking about, but motorsports was always about money and this is not going to change.
A perfect example for you. Here is this Hungarian kid, won everything in Hungary there is to be won. Sat in a Porsche Cup car for a race and finished 13th in his first race ever. I might add that he qualified 15th with used tires, because he did not have enough money for new ones. So where is the moneyman, giving him money. He is as good as anybody out there. He is 50 kg born to race. I could not get him funded even though I did try, that is motorsports, you better deal with it.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 11:29 (Ref:167341)   #11
Tim555
Rookie

Atilla, your perception in motorsport is very shallow. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE DRIVE! Justin wilson is too tall for an F1 car, and if you want to check out that new motorsport championship, I have finally found a web address : www.challengeinitiative.com
Old 30 Oct 2001, 12:49 (Ref:167380)   #12
danielclarke
Rookie

Tim's right

Yeah Tim's right, lower levels of Motorsport, like what FFord was originally meant to be, ar egetting more and more competitive, so costs are getting higher and higher, teams aren't making money, but having to charge £65k a championship in Avon Juniors!!

They have created a monster, just like with F1 years ago, competition between manufacturers raises the technology, but also the costs, until you only get lords, Princes and Kings racing against each other :-)

Regards

Dnaiel Clarke
Old 30 Oct 2001, 12:58 (Ref:167384)   #13
Rimrider
Racer

Rimrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daniel, do you know if Peter Wardle has had his championship approved by the MSA Championship Control Panel?
Old 30 Oct 2001, 13:11 (Ref:167392)   #14
Attila
Racer

Tim,

If Justin is so tall for F1, than how the hell did he fit in to a Jordan, and how the hell did he drive that quick. Jordan tested 3 drivers, Justin was clearly the fastest, for commercial reasons Jordan took Sato, who is not even close to Wilson. That is the sad reality. By the way, generally an F3000 car is not bigger than a F1 car and this is a fact.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 13:14 (Ref:167394)   #15
Attila
Racer

Yes and I forgot, Justin got a free drive from Nordic. Because I work in it I do not think that I have a "shallow perception" of motorsports. In f3000 there were 3 non paying drivers this year, and Justin was one of them. He even went on record saying this in the media. Sorry I will not post any more. :-))))
Old 30 Oct 2001, 13:36 (Ref:167397)   #16
Tim555
Rookie

Rimrider as far as I know its all systems go and every one is registered
Old 30 Oct 2001, 14:11 (Ref:167408)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
(the top f3000 teams get a lot of sponsorship so there's often no need for a driver to pay their way - eg ricardo sperafico lacked most of his budget for the 2001 season, but it was not really a problem because of the team's sponsorship from petrobras)

i respect anyone who is racing. i'd like to be there and they are. simple. finance or often lack of it is a factor of life no matter what you do.

Old 1 Nov 2001, 10:23 (Ref:168270)   #18
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daniel, while I feel for you having seen many good drivers over the years without budgets fail to make it and poor ones with money rise through the ranks (Peter Nilsson being one, sorry but he's the first example of talentless rich kid that springs to mind), I do feel your outbursts will do you more harm than good.

Ranting on about 'I'm just as good as whoever' but haven't got the money to prove it starts to give you an image of being bitter and twisted. Its puts team managers off.

This new slicks and wings formula - good luck to it. But when 50 per cent of gate money goes into the prize fund - come on! Powertour struggled to get 200 paying punters at times this year and at least one TOCA meeting was under 1000 (10000 people at Silverstone night race my arse - well alright if you tot up the toilet cleaners and burger van staff as well as every free ticket holder in the paddock).

If the new formula does take off it's likely to be at club level. Big crowds eh? Big prize fund? Oh, and as for any arrive and drive series - did anyone read the MSA hearing into the Lotus race at Spa. One driver, backed up by two others, argued only half points should be awarded as some of the cars failed to run properly so it couldn't have been a fair race. It doesn't matter that the MSA said he was wrong and that full points should be awarded - the point is that motorsport is not equal in terms of both machinery or budgets. never has been never will.

So my advice to you Dan is go and get on with it and good luck to you. I hope your future works out as it sounds as if you have got some talent.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 11:16 (Ref:168286)   #19
danielclarke
Rookie

What is this?

What? Are you giving me advice on my approach to racing? Don't judge me on one post please Jonny, I get on very well with teams I talk to, they are impressed with my knowledge and dedication blah blah...

I'm not simply moaning about the fact that rich kids get all the attention because they get the best/expensive equipment and backing, I'm feeling for the not-so rich kids wiht the desire, the hunger, the agressive approach to racing, that would see them World Champions many times over. I've seen kids who go crazy on the track, not in a bad way, but kids that really attack a circuit and a race, I used to be like that myself, so determined and focused, it's lead people like Ayrton Senna to fame and fortune, but it won't work for the ones that don't have the money. I'm saddened by the fact that Motorposrt and it's fans in general are missing out on real racing, because the real drivers, or at least a lot of them, are never gonna' make it simply because of money and the lack of it in their case.

I might add, I've just acquired a manager/fund raiser. An old friend, who owns a few companies and deals with many clients will be raiing the £65k for me for the summer championships this year, and hopefulyl for many years to come, although I'm a little annoyed that it won't come as quick as to pay for the Winter Series right now :-(

As for the Challenge Initiative, ticket sales are cut, schemes will be introduced, maybe you ought to go to their website like Tim55 told everyone, and you'd see where they tend to get around such problems as spectator numbers etc. - www.challengeinitiative.com

Let shope this Challenege Initiative goes on to many successes and gives racing a kick up the bum, maybe we'll see a turn around as far as money that's required for motorposrt is concerned.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 23:02 (Ref:168545)   #20
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

I've been involved in Cadets,TKM karting at grass roots club level with several drivers who had no money and the've made it to 'the big time' NOT by being 'rich kids'(I remember Lewis as a struggling Cadet novice at Rye House didn't I notice any signs of wealth just a brave coloured guy running his kid) Good results got them so called 'works' drives (equipment loaned by kart traders) Two notable 'poor kids' (Jenson Button was one of them) we raced made it into cars by signing up long term with professional management! It's just a fact of life Daniel, so some without money DO make it. We cant all make the big time! Actually I drove to Kerpen on Sunday to watch (720 mile day trip!) in torrential rain (cost me £140 all in) Schuey was good but he came off in the morning heat on the rolling lap opps! first lap he was last and came off again same corner! finishing at the back! Final 1. was very wet Schuey knew 'his' home track and took about 10 karts around the outside of turn 1. and made it up to 3rd before stuffing it there on lap 15! Lewis Hamilton made his way up to 7th by being steady in both finals. His teammate Nico Rosberg had a spirited dice with Schuey in both races but was beaten off. Race 1 was damp, great racing, karting at it's best. Luizzi was is a worthy World Champion 4th in race one clinched it, but got spun out in race 2. My guess is that Schumacher's words of praise about Lewis Hamilton were quoted out of context in Autosport as a piece of PR, probably from a kind reply to a British newspaper reporters question. Dont let it wind you up Daniel, if you beat him on the track, that's what it's all about! the rest is bull****!
Old 1 Nov 2001, 23:21 (Ref:168550)   #21
danielclarke
Rookie

What is wrong with people here???

Isn;'t anyone reading my original post properly? My emphasis is on the fact that a bucket-load of excellent, determined, devoted drivers are missing out in Motorsport because of lack of funds.

Rennen, maybe Lewis Hamilton did appear to be "a struggling Cadet with no signs on wealth" I know Alex Lloyd used to be a back-grid driver at my home circuit, Wombwell, running out of the back of an old car in his earlier days. But then within a few years, both of them have their enormous American Motorhomes parked side-by-side at Karting events, and then later, racing in Europe etc... As for Jenson Button, his dad is the guy behind "Rocket" engines in Karting, he's sold many an expensive engine to the likes oh Lewis Hamilton, whom with the money, could afford his highly-tune machines.

I know Lewis used to run out of a car and trailer too, even though I never knew him at all, I remember being in a friend's Mercedes van with him and nmy friend, arguing who'd done what in racing, my friend was trying to show me off to this "new" kid about how good I was, little did I know who this kid actually was :-) Within a year or so, he was at the front, in the spotlight, with the money etc...

About the "long-term" management too, you think that is free? You think that "Long-term manager" is on every checklist of every Karter that starts up? Managers don't grow on trees my friend :-)

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone else posting the same message again, I'm not bitter about this, I'm not saying poor kids don't make it, and I'm not saying rich kids are ****. There is no black and white in this. I don't have the money for motorsport, but I've recently got a bloke who'll be finding funds for the Avon Juniors for me now. I know there are other drivers like Justin Wilson who has cquired sponsorship throuighout the years, and has scraped through here and there, and well done to him, it makes me happy to see it. What I was originally saying was a lot of the Karters who appear in the press about being the next "Jenson Button - smirk" aren't as good as they appear, and that it's the fact that they had the money to by the equipment and the backing to get them the results. As I said, Karting has become so competitive, like many other forms of Motorsport, that lots of money is required to pay for the bets equipment and backing etc...

Can someone please reply to back me up, people have given me a pat on the back through messaging and emails, but I'd like the people who are against some things I say, to see that I'm not on my own in my thoughts here...

Regards

Daniel Clarke
Old 2 Nov 2001, 12:15 (Ref:168711)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
you're right about poor drivers not making it. in general. of course there's the odd little cinderella story, but if you don't have the equipment, you won't make it. unless you should have been a pr person, and you've magicked up a fantastic pr campaign, of course.

example hyla breese, who happens to be on this very forum. he's not exactly rolling in sponsorship, but he made it to the lotus championship this year. where from there you'll have to ask him.

saying that all drivers who are poor don't make it isn't right though.
Old 4 Nov 2001, 18:43 (Ref:169788)   #23
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Schumacher told this to a reporter from the News of the World! Okay Daniel? Actually I believe a 'poor' drivers can make it! and do! and when they do! you cynical Brit's love to try to bring them down!
Old 4 Nov 2001, 21:19 (Ref:169844)   #24
Takuma
Racer

Takuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daniel,

You asked for example of "poor" drivers who "made it". how about Jason Watt, who sold almost everythiung he owned to start racing, he was then able to attract the backing to enable him to race at a high level, before his tragic accident. Jan Magnussen also came from a normal background and his talent allowed him to reach F1. Warren Hughes has made a living out of his "poor" background. In CART, Memo Gidley came from a very poor background to become on of the top drivers without any major backing, it is possible to suceed if you work hard enough.

I look forward to seeing what you can actually do in a car or if your comments about funding are just a cover for you having reached the limits of your ability
Old 4 Nov 2001, 21:50 (Ref:169858)   #25
danielclarke
Rookie

Oh my God!!

Can everyone go back to my original; post!! I just told peopel to stop posting if they weren't going to read my post properly. I'm not saying "poor" people won't make it, I'm saying there are lots of "poor" drivers with lots of motivation and ability, who will never make it.

I know some people without money have made it gawd, I don't go around with my eyes and ears closed. They were good at raising the cash when they needed it. But a lot of people aren't, so a lot of drivers who emphasise on racing ability, and not other qualities like P.R. and fund raising etc. will never make it. And that's a big shame, for motorsport in general...

No more attacks at me for things I didn't say please...

Regards

Daniel Clarke

P.S. Can we try to give our real names when registering with these MB's it's very confusing when you get replies form people named "takuma" :-)