Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Feb 2018, 05:51 (Ref:3803313)   #1301
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
ever thought that nobody asked him?
True.

Or that maybe he actually did say he doesn't like it, a few times (like almost every other team principle did), but there was nothing anyone could have done to stop the Halo going on the cars anyway. The FiA had mandated it.

LOL @ the conspiracy theorists with their 'Mercedes has issues with the Halo' comments!?? It was Mercedes that came up with the Halo design in the first place!
Old 23 Feb 2018, 05:52 (Ref:3803314)   #1302
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Finally an onboard video with Halo fitted.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/966757806857703425

That is terrible!!
Old 23 Feb 2018, 06:27 (Ref:3803316)   #1303
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Could not agree more....

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesa...d.php?id=00137
Old 23 Feb 2018, 08:31 (Ref:3803334)   #1304
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
ever thought that nobody asked him?
Not in the slightest - there was much discussion about alternatives and he was in at least some of those meetings, plenty of public discussion on which he could have commented at any time (I seem to recall Mr Lauda doing exactly that) and as someone deep in the middle of the game, he would have know what was going on.

I don't disagree with him but I don't really understand the need to make noise once the horse has well and truly bolted.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3803378)   #1305
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
I thought that they were going to be allowed to use some form of fairing to minimise the flow disruption or has this changed recently?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...d-fans-935056/

Edited to add - Oh goody, yet more areas for aerodynamic bits to be fittted and for the FIA to have to issue 'clarifications' about
Looking at the HALO, I am hoping that the teams' best efforts are foiled!

Can but hope!
Old 23 Feb 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3803386)   #1306
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The halo is an abomination in my view. Just an ill-thought out exercise in corporate ass covering.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3803393)   #1307
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Agree with Toto, the halo is never gonna be good looking.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3803405)   #1308
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Finally an onboard video with Halo fitted.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/966757806857703425

That is terrible!!
Absolutely, plus the body work on either side of the cockpit really narrows the field of vision.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3803413)   #1309
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Already posted above!

Last edited by Moneyseeker; 23 Feb 2018 at 14:55.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3803427)   #1310
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so obviously fans like us are pretty much in agreement...the HALO, despite its best intentions, looks horrible.

once the world at large sees them at the first race, will opinion reach another level of scrutiny and public backlash?

will this be like the failed change in quali from a few years back...when the world sees it in action for the first time, will the negative attention be enough for them to change the rules early/mid season?

so question, can the HALO be removed at this point?

maybe not during the early season fly away races but by the time they return for the European portion of the season?
Old 23 Feb 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3803428)   #1311
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so obviously fans like us are pretty much in agreement...the HALO, despite its best intentions, looks horrible.

once the world at large sees them at the first race, will opinion reach another level of scrutiny and public backlash?

will this be like the failed change in quali from a few years back...when the world sees it in action for the first time, will the negative attention be enough for them to change the rules early/mid season?
I had posted awhile back something similar. I think there is a group who follow F1 during the off season (us) and most of that group are aware of what is going on and what it looks like. I think there is another tier of fans who are long standing F1 fans, but generally just start to pay attention as the first race weekend approached. I do expect there to be quite a large outcry from that second group who might currently be blissfully ignorant of what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so question, can the HALO be removed at this point?

maybe not during the early season fly away races but by the time they return for the European portion of the season?
Short of a clear safety issue evolving during the year in which some type of serious accident is blamed by the Halo and that justification for removal can be on safety grounds I think there is next to zero chance it will be removed this year. Everyone will suck it up and deal with it. I wouldn't even put money on it being removed next year. Especially from a liability perspective they will need to have a replacement in the wings (and we already know they move extremely slow on this topic).

If Indycar windscreen proves successful during 2018 then I can imagine we might see something different (windscreen or canopy) for the 2020 season. I can imagine it's adoption for other series may be stopped (assuming they are not past a point of no return).

Richard
Old 23 Feb 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3803432)   #1312
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Short of a clear safety issue evolving during the year in which some type of serious accident is blamed by the Halo and that justification for removal can be on safety grounds I think there is next to zero chance it will be removed this year...
if public outcry is loud enough, i could see them 'manufacturing' a reason compelling enough to warrent their removal.

something minor of course, but a driver who has stopped trackside finds themselves getting stuck inside their HALO as they try to extract themselves without any help. then a red flag as assistance is given.

im picturing some sort of winnie the pooh getting stuck in a jar of honey type scenario.

more of a comedy of errors but enough to give cause for their removal!

but seriously...yeah i agree, think we are stuck with these things for a while!
Old 23 Feb 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3803446)   #1313
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am not at all concerned about the Halo 😇 because in reality I don’t believe it’s going to stay on the cars for that long ....
Old 23 Feb 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3803450)   #1314
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I am not at all concerned about the Halo �� because in reality I don’t believe it’s going to stay on the cars for that long ....
same, i could genuinely see them switching to a windscreen and saying they thought it was of great importance to get something, anything onto the cars to protect the drivers.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3803456)   #1315
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I am not at all concerned about the Halo 😇 because in reality I don’t believe it’s going to stay on the cars for that long ....
But didn't the FIA say, they wanted something in place for this season? If they drop the Halo, how quickly can they implement another device, Shield included, without adequate testing?
Old 23 Feb 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3803468)   #1316
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They had a priority to introduce something that solved a problem. They also introduced a deadline. To do this they have introduced this. You could argue they could have developed something else, but, at least at one point, it looks like it wouldn’t be ready for the deadline. Now they can hone this, and look at other solutions to improve on this.

Please understand I’m not saying anything is actually needed. However, rather than just be glib I am attempting to understand a situation.

I wanted a house with a garage. At first I couldn’t afford one, so I moved in somewhere without a garage. I did not chose to get cold and wet every night until I could afford a house with a garage.

I don’t agree with this, but I can see how we have got here.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 23:26 (Ref:3803505)   #1317
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They had a priority to introduce something that solved a problem. They also introduced a deadline. To do this they have introduced this. You could argue they could have developed something else, but, at least at one point, it looks like it wouldn’t be ready for the deadline. Now they can hone this, and look at other solutions to improve on this.

Please understand I’m not saying anything is actually needed. However, rather than just be glib I am attempting to understand a situation.

I wanted a house with a garage. At first I couldn’t afford one, so I moved in somewhere without a garage. I did not chose to get cold and wet every night until I could afford a house with a garage.

I agree with you Adam, the FIA started introducing solutions in 2011, since the teams have been prevaricating and preventing any movement, and people have died because of their lack of action.

Now the FIA have forced the issue, good move (seven years to introduce a roll hoop extension, just the cutting edge of progress), perhaps now the precious will find a more effective solution.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 05:20 (Ref:3803528)   #1318
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
In that video of bottas it is really distracting when going straight. It draws your eyes right to it.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3803596)   #1319
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in fairness it doesn’t impose on the forward view much, though you’d not have to be far behind a car to lose it behind the centre pillar.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3803601)   #1320
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hope it's gone in time and replaced by a windshield, that one is not only more elegant, but IMHO more practical than the halo
Old 24 Feb 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3803620)   #1321
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

The issue as I see it is the imposition of a deadline, without thorough evaluation of the device before committing to it. IndyCar rejected the Halo because of banked ovals like Texas and have opted for the windshield, which is currently under evaluation. However, IndyCar have not committed to using it.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3803628)   #1322
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The issue as I see it is the imposition of a deadline, without thorough evaluation of the device before committing to it. IndyCar rejected the Halo because of banked ovals like Texas and have opted for the windshield, which is currently under evaluation. However, IndyCar have not committed to using it.
Problem is as soon as they had something that would work if they didn't introduce it and someone was hurt or killed in a situation that the halo would have prevented the legal ramifications (not to mention the medua outcry) would have been huge.

The only thing wrong with the halo, imo. is the way it looks which should be a very minor consideration for a safety device.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3803629)   #1323
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

This is pretty much it although it's more like -

I lived in a house without a garage. I wanted a garage so I bought a house with a shed because it kinda looks like a garage. Then one day I might buy a house with a garage.

What I don't get is why this problem needed to be solved by this deadline. It's been a "problem" for 100 years, but we HAVE to fix it by 2018, even if it means a bad solution is used.

Unless you're rushing things in to make sure you get credit for the safety innovation that is. Then it makes sense.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3803634)   #1324
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Problem is as soon as they had something that would work if they didn't introduce it and someone was hurt or killed in a situation that the halo would have prevented the legal ramifications (not to mention the medua outcry) would have been huge.

The only thing wrong with the halo, imo. is the way it looks which should be a very minor consideration for a safety device.
That's because the FIA committed themselves, which is what IndyCar hasn't done.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 16:07 (Ref:3803638)   #1325
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The reason that F1 has the Halo is because Todt (and the FIA) announced that a suitable solution would be introduced for the 2017 season at the latest.

This was then extended to the commencement of 2018 because:

a) The Halo hadn't undergone sufficient testing

b) The teams wanted to evaluate the aero screen and/or other devices

c) Vettel and/or Ferrari (delete as applicable) didn't like the aero screen

and d) The teams were not prepared to spend further monies on developing a suitable substitute, and nor were the FIA.