Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 16 Oct 2002, 10:17 (Ref:405549)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix 4 ... Why didn't they call it Grand Prix 2.5?

I got hold of GP4 just before, and have installed it, and while it's a decent game, and I'll play it for a while, I still do not think enough progress has been made since Grand Prix 2. Don't get me wrong...it's not abysmal, infact it's certainly one of the better games out there, but so many elements of Grand Prix 2 still remain in tact.

The graphics engine still uses the ANCIENT slow mo processor occupancy style, this is just not on, and has been long phased out. Why GP4 holds onto something developed in 1995 (!) is beyond me. My PC is a fairly modest system (AMD 1.4Ghz, 64mb Kyro II, 256Mb SDRAM), and could run the F1 2002 demo at a solid 25-45 fps on 1280x960 res with no dropped frames, and the graphics set highest. GP4 forces me to race at 25fps, with medium detail, a low resolution, and low textures. And still at a high processor occupancy! Time to move on!

The damage model is still very disappointing, it's quite sad that GPL from 1998 still sets the standard for accidents. Certainly, some progress has been made since GP3, but the bent monocoque still looks dodgy.

The replay system/camera system is still fundamentally unchanged as well. Also, just like GP3 we still have the one superhuman marshall who can hurl a car over the fence. Where are the stop go penalties? Am I correct in saying they havent been enforced yet?

Overall, I like GP4, but it's a shadow of what it COULD have been. I can't rate it any more than 7/10.

I would like to hear your opinions. I still need to fiddle around and tweak the game, and I am sure the playability will increase, but I am disappointed enough to write this up.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 11:42 (Ref:405623)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Yes Scott, I read some of your thoughts on GP4 on another forum

All I can say is, the more you play it, the more you'll like it. It still lets us down in a few areas, but you'll start noticing alot of things that put it far ahead of GP3 soon enough.

You can't please some people.

--------------------------------------------------------

*runs and hides before its starts crashing back to desk-top*
Old 16 Oct 2002, 12:21 (Ref:405675)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I could post something about skipping GP4 and trying another game........

.....but I guess you all know what I'd say by now!
Old 16 Oct 2002, 12:40 (Ref:405699)   #4
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got Zoo Tycoon instead. It's great! (not quite as fast, mind you)
Old 16 Oct 2002, 15:48 (Ref:405820)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree it's not as good as it COULD have been. Papyrus' replay facilities show the way, the damage model is shat on by INDYCAR RACING 2!!!! (GREAT damage model, even today!!) PLUS there are times when I go into the pits and it won't let me out again.

Still, it's worth it for Monaco alone. The single best circuit model on any racing game ever.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 16:57 (Ref:405889)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hasn't the GP4 development studio been shut down, hence no GP4 on Xbpx.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 18:05 (Ref:405943)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Microprose has but Symergy (Mr Crammonds company) still exists and they are the real flesh of the game. Microprose simply did the graphics and sound.

On topic mind I think GP4 is great. The handling is miles ahead of any other F1 sim and the circuit models are as close as you'll ever get. Superb!!
Old 16 Oct 2002, 20:55 (Ref:406049)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, it's a fun game, and I've managed to tweak the graphics to an acceptable level now, I as getting a PO before of up to 800%...but now I've got it all working at 50-100%, with 1024x768 a decent frame rate and medium to high detail. Takes a lot of tweaking around doesnt it.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 22:26 (Ref:406109)   #9
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stick with it though DNQ - it's well worth it once you can stop tweaking and just spend time playing the game.

The AI is just amazing.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 00:29 (Ref:406192)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I love GP4 almost as much as GPL. When you've got a cool setup and your nailing a lap it amazing!

It's torally different to GPL in the fact you have to get it right so you don't have to correct it but still push it. It's the key to a good lap time. If you trust the car, you get a good time. That's what I love about it...
Old 17 Oct 2002, 00:32 (Ref:406194)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got a 1.2 Athlon with 32mb GeForce 2. I run it at 800x600 with a decent detail.. I'm not too fussed about running at any higher res because I can't really see what it adds to the game itself.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 02:47 (Ref:406231)   #12
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have an Athlon XP 1600+ with a Radeon 8500 64MB and 256 MB of DDR ram. I run the game at full detail and 1024*768 with 2X of FSAA and 16X of anisotropic filtering and the game runs just fine.

Regarding the game, I would say that the thing was that GP2 set the standars too high. Any sequel would run a high risk of being disappointing. To tell you the truth I was slightly disappointed with GP3 but certainly not so with GP4. Most of what I found annoying about GP3 is gone. For instance, the pit crew now "moves" there's radio communication, the crowd moves as well and the AI is very good. In fact, if you asked me what would I change about the game I would have to think it over (well, I still don't understand why Alex Yoong outqualifies Fernando Alonso most of the time). And that was the thing with GP2. The game was so great that there was very little room for improvement. Better graphics and variable weather were really the only things that the game lacked.

I think that the only problem with the game is that perhaps the cars have too much grip. As for the steep system requirements I don't think that's a real problem as any new game that comes out needs more and more power from the PC. Just think about this. From what I've read Doom 3 will have such steep requirements that chances are that it won't even run on over half the PC's out there. But that doesn't mean that it won't be one hell of the game.

As for my recommendation I recommend that you play a bit with the "f1graphics.cfg" file. You might get some performance and/or image quality improvements through there.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 10:30 (Ref:406370)   #13
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Good points Sharky. I like GP4, it drives very nicely, also, although the graphics arent as fancy on my setup as on F1 2002, I like the 'feel' of the visuals, very nice, makes you feel part of the action. The marhsalls are certainly improved also.

I've now got the graphics running at 1024x768, 26fps and highest graphics except for environment map, videowalls, etc all that stuff that makes little impact.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 18:48 (Ref:406706)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

Never worked out what "enviromap" was anyway.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 06:55 (Ref:407017)   #15
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Papyrus' replay facilities show the way, the damage model is shat on by INDYCAR RACING 2!!!! (GREAT damage model, even today
I STILL play ICR2!

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 19 Oct 2002, 15:42 (Ref:407992)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Because it's great!! I am god round Detroit.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 00:28 (Ref:414308)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IndyCar 2 was king... If only Papyrus/Sierra did a CART game in 2002 with the physics engine of GPL, the damage levels of NASCAR 4 and the racing school of CART Precision Racing...

(do you remember that school? Rahal was a good teacher!)
Old 27 Oct 2002, 15:42 (Ref:414747)   #18
Tristan
Veteran

NASCAR 2002 has a better physics engine than GPL. And you have a really good school on that too. Would be great, were it not THE most difficult driving game ever!!
Old 27 Oct 2002, 17:09 (Ref:414806)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, I haven't played N2002...

By the way, anyone can answer me why IndyCar Racing 2 will not work in my Pentium III @ 700 mhz?
Need to feel again 250 mph at Michigan....