Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 31 Aug 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2752842)   #1
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 BRDC Mclaren Autosport Young Driver Awards

Ok I know the season still has a few weeks & a few races to go but generally we have seen enough for the selection panel to be compiling a short list of candidates, subject of course to a late edition or two. So who is in the running for 2010? I think the selectors will be considering the following drivers although this is not neceassarily my list. In no particular order:

Harvey FBMW
Stevens FR
Tinknell FR
Williamson FR
Cole F3Nat
Cammish FF
Hill FF
Malvern FF
Moore FPA
Old 31 Aug 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2752844)   #2
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Luciano Bacheta will still be eligible. Not doing badly in the FRenault Eurocup.

I was thinking about this the other day actually. Harvey, Stevens and Malvern are very likely candidates, but after that any of those named in the OP could make it.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 19:14 (Ref:2752854)   #3
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
I think Luciano Bacheta will still be eligible. Not doing badly in the FRenault Eurocup.

I was thinking about this the other day actually. Harvey, Stevens and Malvern are very likely candidates, but after that any of those named in the OP could make it.
Yes you are right I actually forgot about Bacheta. He's slightly off of the radar racing in the FR EC but I'm sure the selectors will have him under consideration
Old 31 Aug 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2752900)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I strongly suspect that Stevens, Harvey and Bacheta will feature in the list of nominees. I doubt that James Cole will on account of the lack of depth that the National F3 field has experienced this year.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2753461)   #5
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't forget that Tommy Blomquist is British and qualifies to take part.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 11:04 (Ref:2753591)   #6
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it's about talent, wins and potential rather than who has the funds to progress further then Malvern should be on there without doubt. I would then go with Harvey and either one from the FR bunch or Cammish.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 16:17 (Ref:2754483)   #7
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
If it's about talent, wins and potential rather than who has the funds to progress further then Malvern should be on there without doubt. I would then go with Harvey and either one from the FR bunch or Cammish.

I can't speak for FR, but in FF Scott Malvern is the outstanding driver.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2754917)   #8
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Williamson is a very strong contender.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2755662)   #9
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Dancer View Post
I can't speak for FR, but in FF Scott Malvern is the outstanding driver.
Regarding eligible drivers for the Autosport award in UKFF, I couldn't agree more.
Old 9 Sep 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2756817)   #10
Deemun
Racer

Well the initial list of possible nominees has been published in Autosport today and it looks as though all the names that we have mentioned here are in it plus a few others with 16 drivers being listed. We'll have to wait a while before they are reduced to the final six.
Old 9 Sep 2010, 22:53 (Ref:2757035)   #11
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi all,

Just to clarify, that list is just for example purposes (perhaps we should make that more clear!) - it's not an exclusive list. Basically, if a driver fits the criteria he/she can be nominated by anyone.

Always interested to hear/see what people think about who has impressed during the year.

Regards,
Kevin Turner
Autosport National Editor
Old 10 Sep 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2757138)   #12
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
Hi all,

Just to clarify, that list is just for example purposes (perhaps we should make that more clear!) - it's not an exclusive list. Basically, if a driver fits the criteria he/she can be nominated by anyone.

Always interested to hear/see what people think about who has impressed during the year.

Regards,
Kevin Turner
Autosport National Editor
Thanks Kevin for the clarification. That is actually exactly how I understood it to be and notice that I was careful to say "list of possible nominees"

But its good to see that, initially anyway, that you at Autosport and we "the enthusiasts" are thinking along similar lines. Of course once you do select six drivers I realise that it all comes down to the competition itself along with any other influencing factors that you may decide to judge on such as previous experience.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2757337)   #13
TGG
Rookie

TGG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto Awards 2010

The list of nominees in this weeks Autosport is interesting and demonstrates very strong competiton across British drivers this year, my confusion is that in up until July this year and in 2009 Winter Series, Tom Blomquvist's nationality appeared in all programmes, TSL, and entry lists as Swedish, but from the beginning of August onwards British.......surely not a ruse to qualify for such a prestigious award!
Old 10 Sep 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2757342)   #14
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGG View Post
The list of nominees in this weeks Autosport is interesting and demonstrates very strong competiton across British drivers this year, my confusion is that in up until July this year and in 2009 Winter Series, Tom Blomquvist's nationality appeared in all programmes, TSL, and entry lists as Swedish, but from the beginning of August onwards British.......surely not a ruse to qualify for such a prestigious award!
The rules state that you have to be born in the UK and hold a British passport. If he fulfills both of those criteria then he is indeed eligible.

It is of course possible to have dual nationality so its perfectly feasible that he was born in the UK, then raised in Sweden. I know that he currently resides in the UK and from interviews I will say that his spoken English sounds perfectly natural.

It will probably be his only chance to have a crack at it as I imagine he will be competing in an International class F3 car next year or equivilent. I personally think he will go a long way regardless of whether he is selected for the award or not.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2757359)   #15
TGG
Rookie

TGG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemun View Post
The rules state that you have to be born in the UK and hold a British passport. If he fulfills both of those criteria then he is indeed eligible.

It is of course possible to have dual nationality so its perfectly feasible that he was born in the UK, then raised in Sweden. I know that he currently resides in the UK and from interviews I will say that his spoken English sounds perfectly natural.

It will probably be his only chance to have a crack at it as I imagine he will be competing in an International class F3 car next year or equivilent. I personally think he will go a long way regardless of whether he is selected for the award or not.
Deemun, you could well be right, he will go along way. I just thought he was Swedish national and raised in NZ, which would account for his grasp of the english language.

I would also imagine that for most of the drivers potentially nonimated, this will be their only chance as well, as inevitably they would all want to progress to the next series, subject to funding - maybe with the exception of the FF guys, who tend to go to Renault
Old 12 Sep 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2758062)   #16
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The rules state that you have to be born in the UK and hold a British passport.
The rules change depending on who Autosport wants to see in the final six.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2758159)   #17
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
The rules change depending on who Autosport wants to see in the final six.
The rules of driver eligibility are clearly stated in Autosport this week. I'm positive that those that are responsible for selection will ensure that the drivers all meet those eligibility rules. The integrity of the competition and the boost to the career of drivers just for being being selected as a finalist, let alone winning, is far too important for any ambiguity and uncertainty.

I think its an excellent initiative. My only comment is that it would be nice if the prize was a little more substantial in terms of financial support, not that £50k isn't useful, but most of the drivers will be looking to F3 or GP3. I also think it would be nice if there was something for the drivers that came 2nd & 3rd in the competition but of course all this depends on the financial backing received and I would much rather have the competition in its current format than not at all.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2759642)   #18
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Of course once you do select six drivers I realise that it all comes down to the competition itself along with any other influencing factors that you may decide to judge on such as previous experience.
Absolutely right. That is something I think some people forget. Once chosen, it comes down to how they perform in the tests, though we do try and keep in mind relative experience. That's why people are sometimes surprised by the winners - I think many expected Calado to win last year and he would have been a worthy winner, but Dean was just that little bit more impressive.

Quote:
I think its an excellent initiative. My only comment is that it would be nice if the prize was a little more substantial in terms of financial support, not that £50k isn't useful, but most of the drivers will be looking to F3 or GP3. I also think it would be nice if there was something for the drivers that came 2nd & 3rd in the competition but of course all this depends on the financial backing received and I would much rather have the competition in its current format than not at all.
Totally agree. It'd be great to give more in the way of prizes. All the partners involved work hard to do their bit, but if there's anyone rich out there who would like to support young British talent we'd be happy to add their money to the award!
Old 21 Sep 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2762334)   #19
Deemun
Racer

I think the selection panel will be meeting this week or next week to decide on the six finalists
Old 22 Sep 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2763177)   #20
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=krt917;2759642]Absolutely right. That is something I think some people forget. Once chosen, it comes down to how they perform in the tests, though we do try and keep in mind relative experience. That's why people are sometimes surprised by the winners - I think many expected Calado to win last year and he would have been a worthy winner, but Dean was just that little bit more impressive.

Hi Kevin, surprised by last years winner is an under statement, if Dean was just a little more impressive, it was because of his years of car experience so that criteria cant possibly be a factor. Calado was in only his second year of cars, crazy to compare against Deans 5 or 6 years. I like Dean, he is good and I enjoyed watching him in FR but Calado is by miles, a far better prospect for British motorsport as was Stoneman in his awards year, look at these lads results this year! I really hope all the obvious politics are put to one side and our next true hopeful is put in the spot light, based on the overall picture, the tests being just part of it.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2763228)   #21
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
don't forget that Tommy Blomquist is British and qualifies to take part.
Unfortunately, even if Blomqvist is "British", being the son of Stig, he's probably got enough money to fund his career for a good while and thus, regardless of ability, will probably be deemed unlikely to win BRDC young driver award. From past awards it seems that, in a semi-charitable way, the award is there primarily to help the under privileged and not, as you would hope, to pick the cream of the crop of future BRITISH champions.

Sorry to burst the Blomqvist bubble.

Did I mention Williamson? (Scottish & British)
Old 22 Sep 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2763233)   #22
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post
Unfortunately, even if Blomqvist is "British", being the son of Stig, he's probably got enough money to fund his career for a good while and thus, regardless of ability, will probably be deemed unlikely to win BRDC young driver award. From past awards it seems that, in a semi-charitable way, the award is there primarily to help the under privileged and not, as you would hope, to pick the cream of the crop of future BRITISH champions.

Sorry to burst the Blomqvist bubble.

Did I mention Williamson? (Scottish & British)
Hmmm.......don't think this is true actually but it's not really my place to comment. I'll let KRT917 answer this if he wishes to.

Yes you did already mention Williamson further up the thread. Plug registered. Relative are you?
Old 22 Sep 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2763250)   #23
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
if Dean was just a little more impressive, it was because of his years of car experience so that criteria cant possibly be a factor. Calado was in only his second year of cars, crazy to compare against Deans 5 or 6 years.
Whilst I see your point; in any assessment it is possible to make allowances for each particpants level of experience and expect a more accomplished performance or more detailed feedback from the more experienced drivers. Also, the assessment also included a drive in a BTCC car, of when both drivers had limited experience of tin top racing.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2763544)   #24
Mach3
Rookie

Mach3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, looking down the list there's clearly some great candidates (Harvey, Malvern etc.)

Was just wondering, and perhaps Kevin might be able to say, is FPA on anyone's radar as I do think nigel Moore has a very good future ahead of him...
Old 23 Sep 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2763557)   #25
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3 View Post
Guys, looking down the list there's clearly some great candidates (Harvey, Malvern etc.)

Was just wondering, and perhaps Kevin might be able to say, is FPA on anyone's radar as I do think nigel Moore has a very good future ahead of him...
I am not sure Nigel Moore has had much competition this season. I think even Kevin Turner could have won races in FPA this year

My top 6 -

Jack Harvey – great season and robbed at the end of FBMW
Tom Blomquist – dont agree with this but think he will get picked
Scott Malvern - good season on limited budget
Lewis Williamson – Most wins in Renault and 2nd in the Championship
Dan Cammish - solid 2nd half of season after moving away from the dissapointing Spectrum 012c
Luca Bachetta - my wild card over Nigel Moore