Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Jan 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3792945)   #1326
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aaah, Autosport International.

Fun interviews from the stage on the Autosport YouTube channel.

Plato was there with his daughter, and then Shedden, Neal, Sutton, Turkington and Jordan several times as a group. Well worth a watch.

Well, apart from when Neal had no idea about the new 2018 BTCC rules, swore on stage and called Sutton transgender. Muppet.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3792949)   #1327
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
He pretty much said as much asked when chatting with him at ASI. He said they weren’t using Geoff Kingston much as only making operational changes to the car, hence Geoff’s move to a ‘new challenge’.

Still can’t help feeling they might not be a one car team this year!
Where is the Handy Toyota? Did they strip it for parts for the Alfa or is it a living breathing beast in hibernation?
Old 15 Jan 2018, 18:00 (Ref:3792951)   #1328
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I still don't understand this mysterious problem with Platos car after that crash. Plato has been talking about it for race weekend after race weekend. He's still talking about it in terms of it being a mystery now, months after the season end, and presumably whilst preparations for this next season are in full swing.

I don't like Plato, but begrudgingly you have to respect his speed and consistency year after year. There has to be some explanation as to why he all of a sudden had such a poor season.

I thought they had a test when he drove Suttons car, to compare the two and sort this out? I'm no engineer, so perhaps someone could explain what it could possibly be. I know they are not an F1 team with a Zillion dollar budget, but surely you would expect them to get to the bottom of it after a race weekend or two?

Will the team give him a brand new car for this season, or reshell his old one? Or are we going to hear much more about this mysterious problem?

After his shunt at Brands the car went back to Willy Pooles so you can't blame the shell 😂
On Snett race weekend the mechanics swapped Jasons front subframe for a new one... so you cant blame the subframe.😂
At the Snet test in june or july Jason and Ash swapped cars... and Ash went faster in Jasons car 🤔
Old 15 Jan 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3792952)   #1329
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
After his shunt at Brands the car went back to Willy Pooles so you can't blame the shell ��
On Snett race weekend the mechanics swapped Jasons front subframe for a new one... so you cant blame the subframe.��
At the Snet test in june or july Jason and Ash swapped cars... and Ash went faster in Jasons car ��
Here's what I, and others think

Jason had a new exciting team mate, who oozes raw speed, with a natural ability to drag the very best out of whatever he's got. Jason was over confident given his years experience with the car, over his new team mate. Jason lost both the best rear wheel drive driver, AND engineer over the winter, and some minor rule changes to the base is car....add all that together and maybe it and the shunt rattled him down a peg.

Over
Old 15 Jan 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3792955)   #1330
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Here's what I, and others think

Jason had a new exciting team mate, who oozes raw speed, with a natural ability to drag the very best out of whatever he's got. Jason was over confident given his years experience with the car, over his new team mate. Jason lost both the best rear wheel drive driver, AND engineer over the winter, and some minor rule changes to the base is car....add all that together and maybe it and the shunt rattled him down a peg.

Over
Could simply be that; even more simply that crash - which obviously physically hurt him - may have also mentally left him lacking his usual confidence and God given belief. Most racers I know think they are indestructible. I had a massive shunt on track in '93 and didn't even want to sit in a vehicle for several years... a mental block in laymans terms.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3792960)   #1331
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
While he was good mid season, some races he just seemed to have no fight, like in the finale at Brands Hatch. If he is back with BMR he may still win a few races, but can he win another title? Might be a step too far
Old 15 Jan 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3792981)   #1332
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pit to Car radio "OK, so Ash is faster than you, can you confirm you understood that message"
Old 15 Jan 2018, 20:52 (Ref:3792990)   #1333
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I still don't understand this mysterious problem with Platos car after that crash. Plato has been talking about it for race weekend after race weekend. He's still talking about it in terms of it being a mystery now, months after the season end, and presumably whilst preparations for this next season are in full swing.

I don't like Plato, but begrudgingly you have to respect his speed and consistency year after year. There has to be some explanation as to why he all of a sudden had such a poor season.
But it's not all of a sudden.
It's been a decline over the course of the last three seasons.
The second half of 2015, he only got two wins after Oulton Park, both in reverse grid races where he started at the front. Yes he finished second in the championship, but the decline began that year.

2016 was the worst season of his career. Or it was until 2017 came along.

Quote:
I thought they had a test when he drove Suttons car, to compare the two and sort this out? I'm no engineer, so perhaps someone could explain what it could possibly be. I know they are not an F1 team with a Zillion dollar budget, but surely you would expect them to get to the bottom of it after a race weekend or two?
Sutton was faster that Plato in Plato's car. He was also just as fast as he had been in his own car. Plato was slower than Sutton in Sutton's car.

Quote:
Will the team give him a brand new car for this season, or reshell his old one? Or are we going to hear much more about this mysterious problem?
The problem is the carbon-based component that fits between the seat and the steering wheel.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3792991)   #1334
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what's the conspiracy theorists suggestions for why Plato and Sutton would both say that the identically setup cars behaved totally differently from each other at the test then?
Old 15 Jan 2018, 21:47 (Ref:3792996)   #1335
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
So what's the conspiracy theorists suggestions for why Plato and Sutton would both say that the identically setup cars behaved totally differently from each other at the test then?
Conspiracy as in 9/11 didn't happen? Or 7/7 was an inside job?

It could just be that identical set ups only really, as in REALLY give identical results with near identical driving styles and that we know they both do not have
Old 15 Jan 2018, 22:23 (Ref:3793003)   #1336
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
So in 2015 JP became very vocal about boost as the season progressed and grumbled about the TOCA engine. I'll call that true as it was slow where it should have been fast; slippery shape that VW. Damned near had the Championship, Flashs last race charge was astonishing. JP form = good.

16 was decent once Colin and he sussed the motors out - Oulton IIRC. Colin was better than JP IMO but lets face it - Colin is bloody brilliant. I presume their was sod all testing budget; certainly 3 of the 4 Subarus hadn't ran until Brands race weekend (again IIRC). JP form = good.

17 - iffy from the start. Plato seemingly done for at Brands after that shunt. Ash got better each meeting. No testing again; seemingly no pennies - possibly due to the 888 bailout and this is a popular rumour as to the falling out. If JP had had a car on track he might well have identified and sorted the car issues (and indeed any Plato issues). Yes, they did test at Snetterton but that was half a season wasted by that point. JP form = not like him at all.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 08:33 (Ref:3793052)   #1337
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Conspiracy as in 9/11 didn't happen? Or 7/7 was an inside job?

It could just be that identical set ups only really, as in REALLY give identical results with near identical driving styles and that we know they both do not have
That doesn't apply when each driver has tried both cars though and reported that each one behaves differently though.

Driving style would only come into it if they set both cars up the same way and each driver stuck to the same car.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3793056)   #1338
HopAlong
Racer

HopAlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember there was a problem with the differential that was only discovered and fixed mid season, so it couldn't have been that.

It seemed to me every time a problem was found and fixed, and the results didn't pick up a new one was found. Chassis, front sub-frame and diff ramps.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3793062)   #1339
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopAlong View Post
Remember there was a problem with the differential that was only discovered and fixed mid season, so it couldn't have been that.

It seemed to me every time a problem was found and fixed, and the results didn't pick up a new one was found. Chassis, front sub-frame and diff ramps.
The diff issue was found just before Knockhill, funnily enough. A track that inherently suits cars with enhanced traction (RWD in this era, Quattro in the other). Plato wins, claims gremlin is solved. Then for Silverstone and Brands is off the pace again. Weird, that.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3793108)   #1340
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes it's funny how he seemed to find some of that old magic again at Knockhill and Rockingham after the diff was sorted, although he was helped a bit in winning at Knockhill by being last man across the line in quali and thus getting pole. Then he seemed unable to support Ash at Silverstone and Brands
Old 16 Jan 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3793144)   #1341
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Quote:
That doesn't apply when each driver has tried both cars though and reported that each one behaves differently though.

Driving style would only come into it if they set both cars up the same way and each driver stuck to the same car.
I'm thinking of a story I remember from Moto GP, so it's kind of off-topic, but IIRC one of the things that Casey Stoner said about the Ducati during his time there was that you could put an identical set-up on two different chassis and they'd behave diffierently, the theory was that there was an inconsistency in the manufacture of the frames.

Maybe somewhere between the repaired chassis damage from Brands, the diff, the subframe, and whatever was going on in JP's head, there was some gremlin that accounts for what Plato and Sutton said about the car- and maybe Sutton, with less experience of the Scooby, and therefore less 'baggage' about how it had handled in '16, found it easier to adapt when he tested JP's car?
Old 16 Jan 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3793147)   #1342
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, about that 2018 season...
Old 16 Jan 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3793170)   #1343
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
So, about that 2018 season...
Hi guys, long time reader, but refrained from posting until now........

BMR, very interesting, one TBL sold already (before the November deadline), so maximum of 3 cars. Biggest issue being that unless Sutton & Plato (if he does indeed sign as expected) have strong legs and peddle Flintstone style, how they power the cars cold be interesting. Mountune haven't been paid so aren't planning on supplying them this year, so they either need a new engine tuner or will have to bolt a TOCA unit in! The latter however will do away with one of the supposed advantages of the boxer engine.

Maybe JP's promised to bring money to pay the engine bill, so him and Warren have kissed and made up!?!

Might as well come in with a BANG!
Old 16 Jan 2018, 22:34 (Ref:3793203)   #1344
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Hi guys, long time reader, but refrained from posting until now........

BMR, very interesting, one TBL sold already (before the November deadline), so maximum of 3 cars. Biggest issue being that unless Sutton & Plato (if he does indeed sign as expected) have strong legs and peddle Flintstone style, how they power the cars cold be interesting. Mountune haven't been paid so aren't planning on supplying them this year, so they either need a new engine tuner or will have to bolt a TOCA unit in! The latter however will do away with one of the supposed advantages of the boxer engine.

Maybe JP's promised to bring money to pay the engine bill, so him and Warren have kissed and made up!?!

Might as well come in with a BANG!
Wow! Rumours from the farm have long suggested finances were properly screwed, will the Flintstone power unit meet regs? How will Mr Gow turn the boost down - swap trainers for pit boots?

The Boxer advantage was supposedly negated by the addition of weight to raise the centre of gravity - last years pre-season grumbles - so the TOCA unit may be no bad thing. Although they don't come free in boxes of cereal either, so $$$ will have to come from somewhere.

Wonder who has the TBL - I wonder if it and the Handy Toyota have become a pair in Sandbach.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 07:55 (Ref:3793263)   #1345
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Wow! Rumours from the farm have long suggested finances were properly screwed, will the Flintstone power unit meet regs? How will Mr Gow turn the boost down - swap trainers for pit boots?

The Boxer advantage was supposedly negated by the addition of weight to raise the centre of gravity - last years pre-season grumbles - so the TOCA unit may be no bad thing. Although they don't come free in boxes of cereal either, so $$$ will have to come from somewhere.

Wonder who has the TBL - I wonder if it and the Handy Toyota have become a pair in Sandbach.
I don't know how much money (if any) Subaru are putting into this effort, but they're always making great play of their boxer engines. I can't see them (if they are financially involved) accepting the team runnung a straight four TOCA engine.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 08:20 (Ref:3793268)   #1346
one_day
Rookie

one_day should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I don't know how much money (if any) Subaru are putting into this effort, but they're always making great play of their boxer engines. I can't see them (if they are financially involved) accepting the team runnung a straight four TOCA engine.
They could take the boxer engines to Swindon
Old 17 Jan 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3793270)   #1347
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_day View Post
I've heard that rumour as well, but would expect Swindon to want paying for the engines, so wouldn't be so keen knowing that Mountune are still owed from last season... Let's face it, the engine were clearly very strong in the Subaru's last year.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3793273)   #1348
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take the prize for one of the most interesting first posts ever!

Interesting that the reigning champion may not have an engine for this season, with all the knock on implications for testing etc, even if he does get one. Wonder if Mr Gow will get involved?
Old 17 Jan 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3793278)   #1349
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a casual observer's point of view, it's always appeared that Plato brings the big money to the team. Turkington has a few personal sponsors, as does Cole (given the prominent Ticketmaster branding, maybe more so than the Irishman). Last year Sutton appeared to have even less personal backing as there were few extra stickers on his car.

Now assuming that Plato's sponsor deals are funding the whole operation, there's still a chance that the deals focus on his success, and with him doing so badly last year perhaps he's not met his part of the contract and sponsors are finding a get out clause to not stump up the cash, to put it simply...

"Nut's to Sutton winning the championship, the deal was to see you (Plato) on the top step. That's not happened so you've not lived up to the deal!" etc etc

Couple that with Plato/BMR's money being used to bail out 888 and give BKR's staff a job and you can see why things could be a little thin.

You've also got to see if Subaru UK feel like they've got anything more left to achieve and whether it's worth the expense again.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 10:39 (Ref:3793283)   #1350
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_day View Post
Interesting, I heard that too! Couldn’t work out why, but would make sense now! Providing they have funds to pay of course..........