Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2004, 19:52 (Ref:876127)   #26
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Before you get to the politics and personal feelings all of drivers have their ever-present reason to be 100% committed - they all want to win the championship for themselves first and foremost. Notwithstanding minor complications such as the need to not let a driver that is on his way out in on technological secrets, which would only really come into play at the end of the season as they start to prepare for 2005, the service that both JPM and RS will get from Williams will be exactly the same as if they were signed for the following year. If the Wiliams continues to be the number one car, which looks likely, then Montoya has just about the best chance he'll ever have of being WDC - and he will grab that chance as fully as any driver with that opportunity.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 20:22 (Ref:876154)   #27
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
If I were a fan of Williams I'd be disappointed that they appear (at this point) to be starting 2004 with RS and JPM.
JV fan Kirk?

Quote:
Both drivers carry baggage
As does JV!

Quote:
and have excuses to be less than 100 percent committed;
As does JV!

Quote:
both appear greedy;
As does JV!

Quote:
both let down their team last season AGAIN.
Now, this is the funniest part, JV let his team down too!

Quote:
Call me naive
If you think that JV is any different to the 2 Williams driver, then you are naive!
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:27 (Ref:876360)   #28
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Last I looked this post was about Williams. A team that had the goods to win the WDC in 2003 for sure, but another year of inconsistency by both drivers, it has underachieved yet again.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:35 (Ref:876364)   #29
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr V, why should Kirk be a JV fan? (I don't know if he is)

But as you say, yeah, he's not any different to the 2 Williams drivers. He'd like to kick Michael's backside, too... (Wait, he did in 1997. Nah, no, no, Michael kicked himself.)
Old 17 Feb 2004, 00:29 (Ref:876413)   #30
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Last I looked this post was about Williams. A team that had the goods to win the WDC in 2003 for sure, but another year of inconsistency by both drivers, it has underachieved yet again.

Well I think what cost Williams the 2003 titles was by not being able to sort the car out until 7 races into the season at Monaco. If you can't get the car sorted at the start of the season, then the championship is pretty much over, especially if your opponent has 100% reliability and your lead driver has 2 mechanial DNFs while leading.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 00:51 (Ref:876435)   #31
Kirk
Veteran

Geez. What do you mean by sorted? .. to be dominant? Yes they had a slow start but MS had his worst start in years and he was ripe for the picking. But neither Williams driver was up to the task and that is why I am flabberghasted that PH/FW seem quite willing to put up with the same ol same ol, particularly with both drivers less than happy and both likely on their way to other teams in 2005. I can see Ralph with some incentive to prove his worth but JPM with a guaranteed seat with Mclaren in 2005, is another matter. Teammates, yes but friends definitely not. I can foresee a possible return to 2002 where they had a nasty habit of bumping into one another.

Last edited by Kirk; 17 Feb 2004 at 00:59.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 03:07 (Ref:876487)   #32
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Frank could have found a better replacement, I suspect there is pressure not to let the team down and damage his reputation, particularly in the paddock, any further.I have to say that as far as reputations go, to a lot of observers it seems, the jury is still out somewhat when it comes to JP. He definitely has the speed, but his temperament, which can get the better of him on occasion, and his apparent dislike for things like excercise, as an example, are what prevent that speed from overwhelming the opposition. Despite this, I still like him a lot as a driver, and hope he gets down to it this year, then does well at McLaren. That rivalry is really going to be something to watch. The media and it's imagination will be in overdrive.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 10:04 (Ref:876699)   #33
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I can see Ralph with some incentive to prove his worth but JPM with a guaranteed seat with Mclaren in 2005, is another matter.
Why do you think they need any incentive other than winning? That's what they are out there for - some contractual wrangle ain't gonna suddenly stop them racing to win.

I think your final point about the two crashing into each other is valid though - but there again they manage that quite well under normal circumstances.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 13:41 (Ref:876970)   #34
Kirk
Veteran

I meant the incentive not only to win, but to assist your teammate on and off the track with setup etc. Anywhere where appropriate; the little things often necessary to win the WDC and/or the constructors. JPM seems prone to brooding and if things aren't going his way or he feels that RS is being given precedence, his reaction could be unpredictable. IMO, its just not a great atmosphere for Williams to beat Mclaren and Ferrari.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 13:56 (Ref:876987)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once again someone brings up this nonsense claim Montoya doesn't exercise.

If he didn't he wouldn't be competitive enough.

I've never seen him look knackered after a race - so I'm sure he's fit.

But people have their own prejudices which they'll continue to spout no matter what.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 16:19 (Ref:877133)   #36
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even with Michael having 'his worst start for years' he was still miles ahead of Juan and Ralf by Monaco. He had the full support of his team, an ultra-reliable car, and it was only at Hungary where he didn't have at least the third-best car. Were it not for Montoya's failure at Suzuka, he would've matched Michael's points tally. I hardly call that a poor showing.

As for Montoya's fitness level, I think he worked hard on it in his early time at Williams. His natural physique is larger and more muscular than guys like Michael and Coulthard, partly due to his ethnicity. His temperament and concentration need work though.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 16:59 (Ref:877192)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still think Ralf Schumacher is much more temperamental than JPM.

JPM is usually "up" but Ralf seems very moody and self-absorbed.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 17:38 (Ref:877236)   #38
Glen
Veteran

With a couple of exceptions Montoya did not in the least under-perform and lose the championship - Schumacher plain beat him through skill and experience. Just when it looked like the championship was falling in JPM's directions Schumacher struck at precisely the right moment and nicked the title from him. Monza was the first half of it - he made his defence stick into that second chicane and he had set his car up to be hard to overtake rather then simply fast. Then we had Indy, and I firmly believe that Montoya was suckered into a rash move by Rubens, who was doing his team job in being in the right place at the right time. Both of those were situations that Montoya could only have got out of with more experience - he certainly didn't lack for speed and control through the season.

Tags
jpm