Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jan 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3793142)   #1066
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why on earth would Kubica want a role as reserve driver, at this stage of his career you would think he would choose a good series and go out and enjoy some racing, not drive a Williams on a couple of test days
Old 16 Jan 2018, 18:29 (Ref:3793148)   #1067
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
Why on earth would Kubica want a role as reserve driver, at this stage of his career you would think he would choose a good series and go out and enjoy some racing, not drive a Williams on a couple of test days
I presume he will be driving elsewhere, and the reserve driver is just in case the race seat becomes available. If he's driving, for example, in WEC (just a random choice there), then it makes sense to be the Williams reserve driver if it doesn't affect anything.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 21:21 (Ref:3793194)   #1068
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
The quote below from the prior page makes sense to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Presumably if Sirotkin doesn't perform (or if the cashflow dries up) they can drop kubica into the race seat.....
Also... maybe what Kubica is just very focused on any chance at making an F1 return work???

Richard
Old 17 Jan 2018, 01:27 (Ref:3793230)   #1069
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
They had Senna/Maldonado some years ago...
Either of whom would eat these three clowns for breakfast.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 02:17 (Ref:3793238)   #1070
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Either of whom would eat these three clowns for breakfast.
Oh, come on - Bruno Senna against Robert Kubica? Seriously?
Old 17 Jan 2018, 02:41 (Ref:3793242)   #1071
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Oh, come on - Bruno Senna against Robert Kubica? Seriously?
I reckon he is every bit as quick as Kubica

Daytona Roar qualifying 2018 (See F1 Drivers Moonlighting thread.)

Car 32

Bruno Senna 1:37.779
Paul DiResta 1:38.869
Hugo de Sadelaar 1:39.719
Will Owen 1:39.869

Looks like young Bruno isn't as slow as some think, specially up against Di Resta, another Williams wannabee.

1.09 secs clear of DiResta.

Take Bruno instead of an injured and long time out of F1 Kubica anytime.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 05:32 (Ref:3793254)   #1072
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bruno wasn't too impressive in Formula E and was left without a seat in 2018. I don't know that Di Resta is all that flash either. He's now a commentator...

I'll be curious to see how Sirotkin goes. It'll be hard to compare him to Stroll since Stroll was so inconsistent last year. In years to come it could be revealed that Stroll/Sirotkin is a super team-up, but right now on paper it's the worst in the field.

If Kubica was faster he probably would have got the seat right? They did enough tests, so did Renault or whoever else it was that tested Kubica. They picked Sergey so he probably was faster. Perhaps the rumour that Kubica couldn't get the tyre to work for quick laps is true.

I don't know what Autosport article said though.

I do have to wonder, if Kubica was really serious about this, why is the only series he's done in 7 years WRC? It's hardly comparable to F1, he might as well have gone midget racing or drifting. Even then, his WRC results aren't amazing, I feel like he just fills the field. He did good in WRC2 winning the title in 2013, but not much since then and 5 years is a long time. He probably only has 5 more years in him in a F1 car (more in other series).

I don't think he did any racing in 2017 did he? Just a couple of Renault F1 tests was his entire year. Why wouldn't he have gone out and done some WEC, Blancpain, DTM, Porsche, heck even a guest FE race since he should really be testing himself in single seaters. Anything to stay fresh and relevant, show he still has the speed because we really don't know just going by WRC. Unless his hand can't take too much?
Old 17 Jan 2018, 05:33 (Ref:3793255)   #1073
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I reckon he is every bit as quick as Kubica

Daytona Roar qualifying 2018 (See F1 Drivers Moonlighting thread.)

Car 32

Bruno Senna 1:37.779
Paul DiResta 1:38.869
Hugo de Sadelaar 1:39.719
Will Owen 1:39.869

Looks like young Bruno isn't as slow as some think, specially up against Di Resta, another Williams wannabee.

1.09 secs clear of DiResta.

Take Bruno instead of an injured and long time out of F1 Kubica anytime.
Bizarre! And to use mock Daytona qualifying times where the drivers were on different tyres.

Bruno is a decent driver but not F1 level and he had many more opportunities than most.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 05:48 (Ref:3793256)   #1074
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, off topic post...

I know his time in F1 did not reflect what I'm about to say, but... Bruno Senna has a natural talent and is a very gifted driver. He has a natural ability, and some even say almost a similar natural ability when behind the wheel to Hamilton.

His motorsport career started very late when the Senna family had banned motorsport early on for Bruno after his uncle's and Father's deaths just two years apart. But he made it to F1 from F3 in just 5 years, having started in F3 for 2005, and with hardly any serious motor racing background before 2004.

What he did at the 2006 Australian GP when in F3 was pretty awesome to watch first hand. That weekend, the paddock took notice of Senna.

In early 2009, the rumours were Ross Brawn apparently had offered Senna a full time drive for 2009 alongside Button. The deal however was that Rubens Barrichello had to step aside as Barrichello already had a contract for 2009 with Brawn GP. Ross Brawn wanted Senna in the seat. Barrichello selfishly did not give up his seat for Senna. And you cannot blame him as most racing drivers are that way inclined. So Senna missed out on his F1 debut in 2009 with what turned out to be the championship winning team. I would have bet everything that I had on Senna beating Button to the WDC title. Can you imagine what Bruno Senna's F1 career would have turned out to be had Barrichello stepped aside for his fellow country man, and his good friends nephew in 2009? And if Senna had won the WDC on debut?

And what a whining, ungrateful sod did Barrichello turn out to be in 2009 with his outbursts towards the Brawn GP team?
Old 17 Jan 2018, 06:16 (Ref:3793258)   #1075
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Senna beating Button would have been a 1,000:1 shot. Decent driver but not the full package for F1.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 06:27 (Ref:3793259)   #1076
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, SA
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I don't disagree that Bruno's talent was very much underrated, there's a very small chance that a rookie would have beaten someone of Jenson's experience and skill to the 2009 title.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 09:00 (Ref:3793274)   #1077
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he got some good chances in F1. He was at Renault for a half a season in 2011 and only had a best of 9th. The following year Kimi won a race and finished 3rd in points. Meanwhile Senna moved to Williams and got to watch Maldonado win a race with his best finish of the year a 6th.

Who knows he could have shown some of the Ayrton talent if he'd started his F1 career in the fastest team alongside Button. I don't think he would have beaten Button, but you never know.

Hamilton and Villenueve started their careers in the top team and both came close to the title. Once not in the top team, Villenueve then struggled a bit. Perhaps Bruno would have been similar.

He never won for Mahindra though, and look at what Rosenqvist is doing in that car now.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 12:52 (Ref:3793299)   #1078
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
It would have been interesting with Bruno in the Brawn GP, assuming he got enough testing in beforehand. I don't think he would have been eaten alive by Button, but he probably would have got better as the season went on, might have snuck a win or two in. He might have stayed with Merc, thus preventing Schumi's comeback
Old 17 Jan 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3793344)   #1079
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Sorry, off topic post...

I know his time in F1 did not reflect what I'm about to say, but... Bruno Senna has a natural talent and is a very gifted driver. He has a natural ability, and some even say almost a similar natural ability when behind the wheel to Hamilton.

His motorsport career started very late when the Senna family had banned motorsport early on for Bruno after his uncle's and Father's deaths just two years apart. But he made it to F1 from F3 in just 5 years, having started in F3 for 2005, and with hardly any serious motor racing background before 2004.

What he did at the 2006 Australian GP when in F3 was pretty awesome to watch first hand. That weekend, the paddock took notice of Senna.

In early 2009, the rumours were Ross Brawn apparently had offered Senna a full time drive for 2009 alongside Button. The deal however was that Rubens Barrichello had to step aside as Barrichello already had a contract for 2009 with Brawn GP. Ross Brawn wanted Senna in the seat. Barrichello selfishly did not give up his seat for Senna. And you cannot blame him as most racing drivers are that way inclined. So Senna missed out on his F1 debut in 2009 with what turned out to be the championship winning team. I would have bet everything that I had on Senna beating Button to the WDC title. Can you imagine what Bruno Senna's F1 career would have turned out to be had Barrichello stepped aside for his fellow country man, and his good friends nephew in 2009? And if Senna had won the WDC on debut?

And what a whining, ungrateful sod did Barrichello turn out to be in 2009 with his outbursts towards the Brawn GP team?
“The cheque is in the post. Luv’n’hugz, Bruno.”
Old 17 Jan 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3793378)   #1080
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How so very rude of Ruben's not to give up a drive he had a contract for