Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Apr 2015, 00:41 (Ref:3530638)   #1
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Ask Mike Conway anything

He has agreed to an "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) session on WEC subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/wec/comments...rsport_driver/

If I've understood it correctly, questions can be left there starting Monday and then he will answer them in a live session on Wednesday.

If you don't have an account and don't bother making one leave questions here so maybe I will deliver them if that's allowed per the etiquette.
Old 25 Apr 2015, 01:22 (Ref:3530649)   #2
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I was kind of waiting for someone to come up with this idea. Props to TMG & Conway for agreeing to the request.

I've got a few I could ask that I can't post for <redacted> so if you are able to post these when the time is right deggis I would be grateful:

- How did TMG approach Conway with the proposal of a role in the team, or was it the other way around? With TMG being based in Germany and most of Conway's recent racing being in Indycar it was a little out of the blue when he was announced as part of the driver roster.
- To what extent do the drivers influence the direction of the car's development both before and during the season? Is the car more or less handed to them complete but unrefined, or do the drivers (and not just Wurz as the "main" development driver) get to have a major say in how the various systems work and interact with each other?
- We know that work on next year's car starts very soon, so at what point do the drivers as a whole become involved in the development of next year's car? Or is this another case of the drivers assigned to testing being trusted to speak on behalf of the rest of the drivers?
- Here comes the budge-it question ... it seems to be the case (from the outside) that the comparatively small budget afforded to TMG means that certain avenues that could be beneficial cannot be pursued. Have the drivers noticed this at all, and is there one thing they would most like to see if TMC were to give TMG resources on the level of the VAG bros?
- What do the drivers make of the WEC calendar, in particular the post-LM break? We know that it serves a function as a rest period to get teams (especially privateers) ready for the rest of the season, but it cannot be denied that the WEC loses a lot of steam in this period. On a related note, what are their thoughts on the mooted winter schedule, ending just before or at Le Mans?
- How much has Mike had to adapt his driving style to the 3-lap average fuel allocation? We have seen a couple of incidents where drivers have fallen foul of this limit but it hasn't happened very often. Similarly, how easy (or not) is it to stick to the lifting & coasting that often nets the best lap times because it maximizes the harvested energy and its deployment?
- That cone. How much difference did it actually make to the car's aero?

Last edited by J Jay; 25 Apr 2015 at 01:27.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 20:23 (Ref:3531283)   #3
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I've got a few I could ask that I can't post for <redacted>

It is on now: http://www.reddit.com/r/wec/comments...toyota_hybrid/
Old 27 Apr 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3531288)   #4
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mike Conway, I support this guy from time ago. I hope he do well to be able to see him drive more at WEC.

I would to ask him about how it feels when the front wheels start to push through the electric engine. How it change the way to approach and deal with a corner.

Last edited by Damian Baldi; 27 Apr 2015 at 20:40.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 17:55 (Ref:3531875)   #5
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Mike is answering questions live now on reddit.com!
Old 29 Apr 2015, 18:22 (Ref:3531883)   #6
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Shame he/Toyota has only only given 30 minutes for this, answers are going to be quite short / predictable / general.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 18:54 (Ref:3531896)   #7
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
He answered a lot of questions. More not about Toyota that I thought.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 19:01 (Ref:3531903)   #8
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
It is what it is. With a WEC race just round the corner I'm surprised any factory driver/team agreed to this, so while more time for detailed responses would be fantastic it's easy to see why TMG/Conway would prefer to blitz through the questions.

Edit - It looks like he wasn't quite expecting that barrage of questions though! He's been expectedly diplomatic about his answers but it's good to see nonetheless.

Last edited by J Jay; 29 Apr 2015 at 19:19.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 20:40 (Ref:3531951)   #9
TF110
Veteran

United States
A good bit on his personal feelings too. Like why he left Indycar (ovals), the comparison on f1 and lmp1, even his favorite cheeseburger
Old 1 May 2015, 12:39 (Ref:3532513)   #10
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does PT call him "Con-weasel"?
Old 1 May 2015, 14:12 (Ref:3532541)   #11
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Scott View Post
Why does PT call him "Con-weasel"?
If we assume it's not a derogatory remark then it could refer to his road/street course performances, where he has a way of getting passes done in tight spaces.