Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 May 2021, 13:18 (Ref:4051657)   #1
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Mid-Ohio Sportscar Challenge presented by a sponsor and their product

It's IMSA Rawe Ceek again after the longest break of the season. I'm somewhat excited for IMSA to be on again, somewhat neutral to what feels like a smaller event than years past.

No GTLM or P2 this weekend, the grid only featuring DPi, P3, and GTD. I believe this is the first time this exact combination has raced on track. P3 should be comfortably ahead of GTD on pure pace, and uncomfortably spinning on track in the middle of the GTD pack.

DPi is down to the expected 6 cars, and GTD has a little field fluctuation as the first sprint race of the year and ultimately up 1 entry. Total field 27 cars. Feels light.

We also have Michelin Pilot Challenge and Mazda cup present. Both should be an enjoyable watch and at least background noise for whatever you're doing this weekend.

It looks like all races will be on Trackpass, WeatherTech race should be on NBCSN. I think support races and WeatherTech qualifying will be on IMSATV.

Schedule

Entry List

No rain currently expected for the weekend. Should be a good'n
Old 14 May 2021, 16:54 (Ref:4051685)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the thread. Back to short and simple 2h40m. SHould be able to catch this.

Championship positions: https://www.imsa.com/weathertech/standings/

(I had to remind myself!)
Old 15 May 2021, 13:02 (Ref:4051780)   #3
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honestly the only non endurance races I am interested in this year are the GT races at Lime Rock and VIR. Even those I'm worried about with grid sizes. Lime Rock you can have 16 cars and be fine. VIR will look bad if its under 18.

As far as Mid Ohio goes. Maybe Lexus Vasser Sullivan can make a big run to the Sprint Cup championship this year. For both Daytona and Sebring they dropped off after the 3 hour mark roughy. Good thing this race is under 3 hours. So I would expect a win from probably the fastest driving pair in GTD of Hawksworth and Telitz. They got a nice boost for not having Earl Bamber driving the Hardpoint Porsche this weekend. Porsches can win in any GT3 race though with competant hands which all 3 of them do have. I hope the Audi entry does well though.
Old 15 May 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4051801)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
It is the "Acura Sports Car Challenge Presented by the TLX Type S," which is a heck of a mouthful. Not knowing, I looked it up and that model is a sedan. Weird.

Would like to see the Pfaff Porsche take class win.
Old 16 May 2021, 13:16 (Ref:4051905)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like Mazda will be on the pole, I'm sure that's not the headline Acura is looking for by sponsoring the race!
Old 16 May 2021, 13:33 (Ref:4051907)   #6
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
It is the "Acura Sports Car Challenge Presented by the TLX Type S," which is a heck of a mouthful. Not knowing, I looked it up and that model is a sedan. Weird.

Would like to see the Pfaff Porsche take class win.
I can remember when Acura showed they were products for old men who golf and ladies who lunch so don't buy German when they announced all new products would be 4 door and cancelled the "kid" car Integra/RSX.

Yeah, with the Acura/Honda guys all local to the track it's gotta hurt. And Cameron pacing the field early I thought. 2 of Top 3 isn't bad but the headline kills you.

Oh, and GTD went to Lexus so there's that too. I didn't see any Acuras mentioned even, Lexus, Auberlin and MB.
Old 16 May 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4051912)   #7
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I can remember when Acura showed they were products for old men who golf and ladies who lunch so don't buy German when they announced all new products would be 4 door and cancelled the "kid" car Integra/RSX.

Yeah, with the Acura/Honda guys all local to the track it's gotta hurt. And Cameron pacing the field early I thought. 2 of Top 3 isn't bad but the headline kills you.

Oh, and GTD went to Lexus so there's that too. I didn't see any Acuras mentioned even, Lexus, Auberlin and MB.
There are 3 Acura NSX cars out of the 13. It may not seem like they are up there so far in Prac/Qual. The gaps from top to bottom in GTD is very close though. A second and half on a single lap time I think. The car is very reliable over 2 horus and 40 minuts. Moreso then errr..Lexus. An NSX in the top 3 is very doable.
Old 16 May 2021, 17:58 (Ref:4051946)   #8
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I thought it interesting that in GTD position qualifying, the Ams favored the front engine layouts. BMW, MB, Aston and of course Lexus were all ahead of the mid and and rear engine cars.
Old 16 May 2021, 18:36 (Ref:4051953)   #9
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not really sure what to do, this is the first time in a long time that I can actually watch the race live. I have the tv on, and the Imsa radio crew playing through the house audio. But i can actually follow Timing and Scoring live, and of course, post my very thoughtful insights here......
Old 16 May 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4051955)   #10
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
The unique Mid-Ohio starting procedures caught out the Ganassi car and it was a drivethrough for Mags in the Caddy
Old 16 May 2021, 19:02 (Ref:4051958)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I'm not really sure what to do, this is the first time in a long time that I can actually watch the race live. I have the tv on, and the Imsa radio crew playing through the house audio. But i can actually follow Timing and Scoring live, and of course, post my very thoughtful insights here......
I too am able to watch live but am being forced to watch more footie from my son so I've got the laptop showing me commercials. I mean NBC, who is reminding me constantly when the Indy 500 is and where I can view it (commercials).

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 16 May 2021 at 19:07.
Old 16 May 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4051959)   #12
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Big crowd on the hill! Looks like a perfect day to watch a race in person.
Old 16 May 2021, 19:17 (Ref:4051960)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I too am able to watch live but am being forced to watch more footie from my son so I've got the laptop showing me commercials. I mean NBC, who is reminding me constantly when the Indy 500 is and where I can view it (commercials).
I do like the commercial for Novagym with Pipo Derani selling their workout product. I'm sure he is very strong and fit, but typically spokespeople for gym equipment are ripped. Pipo is in his driving suit standing in a garage and not using the equipment
Old 16 May 2021, 19:25 (Ref:4051962)   #14
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Big crowd on the hill! Looks like a perfect day to watch a race in person.
I also thought it looked like a decent crowd today. On one of the hillsides it seemed like the fans were pretty evenly spaced out, like there may have been assigned seating.

The Whelen car made up a ton of time with their pitstop.
Old 16 May 2021, 19:25 (Ref:4051963)   #15
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
#39 Carbahn Audi running a different rear ring than a normal R8? It looks much taller than a normal R8 wing.
Old 16 May 2021, 19:42 (Ref:4051964)   #16
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
#39 Carbahn Audi running a different rear ring than a normal R8? It looks much taller than a normal R8 wing.
I had not noticed, I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Wow, i did not really need to see the replay of the Wickens indycar crash, but good to see the footage of him in the Hyundai TCR car.
Old 16 May 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4051968)   #17
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I hope this race stays green the whole time to see how the interaction between pit strategy from the 55 Mazda and the 31 Caddy. The Caddy seems to make up a lot of time during the pit cycles despite only a 5 second quicker pit total time for the Caddy. Must be some blazing in and out laps.
Old 16 May 2021, 20:09 (Ref:4051970)   #18
WyldStallion
Veteran

Robby Foley is on the verge of being "upgraded" to gold status next year the way he is going. GT World Challenge already consider him a full pro.
Old 16 May 2021, 20:18 (Ref:4051971)   #19
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Oh NO, the Pat Long Porsche ended up in the gravel, fcy

Did Whelen just win by diving in pits before the yellow came out?
Old 16 May 2021, 20:26 (Ref:4051973)   #20
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I love the old Ridglines on the cleanup crew at Mid Ohio.

And ZDX safety car?
Old 16 May 2021, 20:34 (Ref:4051974)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Let’s go green.
Old 16 May 2021, 20:34 (Ref:4051975)   #22
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Can the DPI cars make the last 45 minutes on fuel?????
Old 16 May 2021, 20:57 (Ref:4051976)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
They seem to be going for it so I’m going to guess not.

Remember that the energy they use is irrelevant I’d show you the math, but you wouldn’t understand.
Old 16 May 2021, 21:01 (Ref:4051977)   #24
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They seem to be going for it so I’m going to guess not.

Remember that the energy they use is irrelevant I’d show you the math, but you wouldn’t understand.
It's true....

I am just wondering if the caution didn't come out, could the Mazda have held on to the lead.
Old 16 May 2021, 21:09 (Ref:4051978)   #25
WyldStallion
Veteran

The onboard of Westphal in the 39 Audi is a good watch. Seeing the dice in front between Farnbacher Acura and Vanthoor Porsche.