Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 23 Jul 2014, 02:18 (Ref:3436877)   #376
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=JHamilton;3435682]I'm Josh (yes, I'm aware )or JP as my friends call me. Feel free to use either, Lee.

Good to meet you Josh. I'm sorry it took so long to reply. Been pretty busy the last few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I have a tendency to like flat tracks because the drivers I loved growing up were both flat track guys... Geoff Bodine and Ricky Rudd. Yes, a Georgia boy liked Geoff Bodine in the 80's and 90's. You're going to get a story whether you like it or not and it revolves around Dale Earnhardt. My Dad was an Engineer at the Doraville GM plant in the 80's and before the spring race when I was 7, there was a 'meet and greet' with Geoff Bodine and Dale Earnhardt. Earnhardt didn't give me or my Dad the time of day. Bodine, and I remember this like it was yesterday, took pictures with me and picked me up and set me in the seat of the Hendrick Levi Garrett Chevy. I thought, and still do, think that was the coolest. I don't know if you remember a 1989 race at N.Wilkesboro but Rudd put Earnhardt in the wall with a few laps to go, fight ensues, Bodine wins, and I am now a fan of Rooster.
I've always been a Rooster fan too! I saw him drive his very first Sprint Cup (it was called the Grand National Division back in those days) race, here in Atlanta, in Bill Champion's number 10 Ford. Man that was a long time ago. That is a great story and an experience that you will remember all of yoru life. No, I'm not surprised at all. Bodine was a very "fan frriendly" driver and it is not at all surprising that he made allot of fans because of that. Dale Earnhardt was a good man and an unmatched (talent wise) driver. But like you point out, he could have his times, when he was just like you said, cold to the fans. But then, at times, I saw him when he was just a warm and as friendly toward everyone, as Richard Petty, (the driver that sat the benchmark for fan friendly drivers) himself always is. It just depended on what day and what mood you caught Dale in. Sadly, you caught him on one of his bad days, that day. Do I remember the 89 race that you mention, at North Wilkesboro -- Not only do I remember it Josh, I was there! I saw that race and that celebrated accident between Earnhardt and Rudd, that allowed Bodine to win that race!

Quote:
I was actually referring to Michigan and Indy as being better with Indycars. Michigan was great until they built several race track that, regardless of length, race just like it. Now I snooze through it.
Well, like I said, to me, before they reduced the onboard fuel, stock car races were among the best at Michigan. Unfortunately, now they have made practically every race at Michigan a fuel milage race and that is usually a snoozerQ

Quote:
I have a love-hate relationship with Indy. It's an amazing facility but my first event there was the 2005 USGP... I'll let you do the research on that debacle. Then I was forced by work to spend a little under a year in Nap Town and I HATED it. I hate everything about that place.
Well, that is where we have a difference of opinion. That track is not an amazing facility to me. It honestly is nothing and it means nothing to me I consider it two things, one, enemy territory and two, the craddle/birthplace of arrogance and hatred in racing! My condolences to you for having to spend time in that place! Like you, I hate everything about it!

Quote:
Pocono I prefer stock cars on. To me, Pocono is superspeedway racing without restrictor plates.
Pocono has always been one of my favorite tracks. I agree with your anology, it is like an unrestricted track!

Quote:
I didn't leave the house today, so I didn't have to deal with it. If this is effects from global warming, bring it on.
Glad you dodn't have to get out in it. They say we got 2 inches of rain, it was/is much needed. Yeah bring it on, I have really appreciated and enjoyed to cooler weather the last few days.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 06:12 (Ref:3439149)   #377
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, Indy was boring?
Old 28 Jul 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3439332)   #378
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was not too interesting. May be time to run them through the road course or at least alternate years they do it.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 22:59 (Ref:3439479)   #379
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
So, Indy was boring?
Yes, absolutely boring! This track has not ever produced good racing. It is too narrow, too flat, there are very few places where you can pass. Races there are basically single file, no passing, follow the leader, parades. I'm not saying passing every lap, but it is nice to see at least attempts to pass, even if the pass is not made. There is not enough of a place to do even that. It is the worst track on the schedule to try and watch a race at. The sight lines are awful, basically non existent. You can basically see what is happening in front of you and that is about it. I liken it to sitting on the side of an interstate highway and watching traffic go by, just a dronning, dull, bore! I saw the 2003 Brickyard 400 so I am not speaking from hearsay, I saw how bad it was, first hand! indy is BORING! Nothing more can be said!
Old 28 Jul 2014, 23:03 (Ref:3439481)   #380
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
That was not too interesting. May be time to run them through the road course or at least alternate years they do it.
I'd say it's just time to remove this track from the schedule, once and for all. Give the race to Indianapolis Raceway Park, or whatever it's called these day. We could use another short track on the schedule. Or give this race to Iowa. They would certainly race better there, that track is a very good facility for providing good racing! Hey canamman, do you live around the Atlanta, GA area?
Old 29 Jul 2014, 03:00 (Ref:3439519)   #381
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would hate to see Indy get taken off the schedule as it would likely just be replaced with a 1.5 mile track.

As for the race itself, my biggest gripe about it is the way they market it, just because you are running at one of the worlds most prestigious tracks doesn't mean the race itself is.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3439593)   #382
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I would hate to see Indy get taken off the schedule as it would likely just be replaced with a 1.5 mile track.
Don't be so sure about that Hendrix. Iowa is not a 1.5 mile track. I beliece it is something like .78 mile in length. It isn't quite 1 mile in length, so it is classified as a short track. There has already been talk of it being added to the Sprint Cup schedule, so it would be the ideal replacement for this track, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
As for the race itself, my biggest gripe about it is the way they market it, just because you are running at one of the worlds most prestigious tracks doesn't mean the race itself is.
I don't see much difference in marketing this race, than any other on the schedule. Sure there is more advertisement, than say, Martinsville, but I doubt it gets any more than the Daytona 500 or Charlotte's World 600, yeah, I know, it isn't called the World 600 anymore, but I'm an old breed stock car fan, that race will ALWAYS be the World 600 to me! I guess "prestigious" is a matter of personal opinion.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3439676)   #383
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
If NASCAR dumped the Brickyard, that'd be a tough financial hit for the Speedway.

As a viewer though I'm indifferent. From a TV pov the 400 never impressed me as a kind 'mini' major or anything.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 17:24 (Ref:3439779)   #384
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Rahter tha the IndyCar road course, I'd do the oval with two chicanes at the end of both straights.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3439865)   #385
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
If NASCAR dumped the Brickyard, that'd be a tough financial hit for the Speedway.

As a viewer though I'm indifferent. From a TV pov the 400 never impressed me as a kind 'mini' major or anything.
So be it. That track's racing series has been depending on NASCAR dollars to survive for FAR too long! That is the ONLY reason they brought NASCAR there to start with. They didn't and don't care about NASCAR and did not want NASCAR there, but they NEEDED the money that NASCAR racing generates. They did not, do not and will not ever car for NASCAR, NASCAR's racing or NASCAR fans! I say, DUMP IT! If they take a hit, and or, if they can't survive, So be it!
Old 30 Jul 2014, 00:30 (Ref:3439939)   #386
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
I'd say it's just time to remove this track from the schedule, once and for all. Give the race to Indianapolis Raceway Park, or whatever it's called these day. We could use another short track on the schedule. Or give this race to Iowa. They would certainly race better there, that track is a very good facility for providing good racing! Hey canamman, do you live around the Atlanta, GA area?
May get some push back trying to remove the race from the track all together. Its interesting that they( nascar,media,drivers) keep calling this
race one of the majors next to Daytona.

Born and bred in A town. Live close to the 985/85 split.Been going to Road A since '72 and love all forms of motorsports.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 06:54 (Ref:3440034)   #387
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nascar brings the ban hammer down big time on the No.11. Sounds like someone at JGR forgot where the sealant is kept...

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...ianapolis.html
Old 30 Jul 2014, 14:08 (Ref:3440121)   #388
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Nascar brings the ban hammer down big time on the No.11. Sounds like someone at JGR forgot where the sealant is kept...

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...ianapolis.html
Here is a great example of why the Chase is so ridiculous.

Hamlin gets penalized 75 points, goes from 11th to 21st in points, and is still locked into the Chase because of that one win. To make matters worse, there are still drivers behind him who are also locked into the Chase (Almirola 22nd, Busch 25th).

If one of these three wins the Championship, can anyone honestly say they deserve it?

Also, I just realized that because of the current Chase format, locked-in teams can do whatever they want and it won't affect their Championship aspirations. Teams can push the boundaries and if they get caught, they get a measly points deduction.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3440183)   #389
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
Iowa is not a 1.5 mile track.
No, but it is pretty much a clone of Richmond, so I'm not sure it would help the "tracks being the same" issue. That being said I would be more than happy to have it replace a race at one of the 1.5 mile tracks (plus it would be close enough for me to go to a race).
Old 31 Jul 2014, 01:15 (Ref:3440274)   #390
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
May get some push back trying to remove the race from the track all together. Its interesting that they( nascar,media,drivers) keep calling this
race one of the majors next to Daytona.

Born and bred in A town. Live close to the 985/85 split.Been going to Road A since '72 and love all forms of motorsports.
True, but they could do it. They own the race, so they they could do ir.

That's cool. You live only about 12 miles or so South of me, in Flowery Branch! I moved here about 2 years ago. I was raised in South DeKalb County. It's a war zone there now. I rarely go back there anymore!
Old 1 Aug 2014, 15:37 (Ref:3440790)   #391
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting that the Wood Bros. are moving their technical alliance from Roush to Penske.

It seems Jayski got his Ryan's confused in the Bold type. It's Blaney not Truex.

Quote:
Ryan Truex to drive for Wood Brothers in 2015: Ryan Blaney will drive the #21 Wood Brothers Racing Ford in 2015, sources have told Motorsport.com. Blaney, 20, will run a limited Sprint Cup schedule in the venerable #21 Ford along with Nationwide Series races for Team Penske as part of a technical alliance between Penske and the Wood Brothers. An announcement is expected around the race at Michigan International Speedway on Aug. 17. Blaney currently leads the Camping World Truck Series points driving the #29 Ford for Brad Keselowski Racing. In just his second full season on the tour, Blaney has two wins - the first coming in just his third career start. Blaney has a stellar average finish of 7.6. The third-generation racer has also shown tremendous progress on the Nationwide Series tour with Penske Racing. At 19, he won his first NNS race in his 13th career start last September at Kentucky Speedway. Blaney led 96 of 200 laps. In just seven starts in 2015, Blaney has posted six top 10s and three top-five finishes. His average qualifying position is 5.9. Blaney made his Cup debut at Kansas Speedway on May 10. He qualified 21st and finished 27th.(Motorsport)(8-1-2014)
Old 2 Aug 2014, 00:55 (Ref:3440881)   #392
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Interesting that the Wood Bros. are moving their technical alliance from Roush to Penske.

It seems Jayski got his Ryan's confused in the Bold type. It's Blaney not Truex.

Yes, that is interesting. I didn't see that one coming and I don't think anyone else did either.
Old 2 Aug 2014, 03:30 (Ref:3440894)   #393
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Penske gets engines from Roush/Yates and the Roush cars have been out to lunch on the 1.5 tracks most of this year. It's little wonder why Edwards is gone at the end of the season, probably to JGR. Roush has been too hot and cold IMO since the end of '08 to be taken seriously as a consistent title threat due to their inconsistency over the past few years.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 17:10 (Ref:3441218)   #394
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a save by Keselowski, wow.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 20:18 (Ref:3441255)   #395
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Junior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3 Aug 2014, 20:24 (Ref:3441259)   #396
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
**** yeah, go Junior!!!
Old 5 Aug 2014, 14:39 (Ref:3441641)   #397
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Standings after Pocono:

1. Jeff Gordon (Hendrick Chevy), 757
2. Dale Earnhardt Jr (Hendrick Chevy), 740
3. Brad Keselowski (Penske Ford), 687
4. Matt Kenseth (Gibbs Toyota), 668 /0
5. Ryan Newman (Childress Chevy), 642 /0
6. Jimmie Johnson (Hendrick Chevy), 633
7. Joey Logano (Penske Ford), 633
8. Carl Edwards (Roush Ford), 618
9. Clint Bowyer (Waltrip Toyota), 617 /0
10. Kyle Busch (Gibbs Toyota), 611
11. Kevin Harvick (Stewart-Haas Chevy), 608
12. Kyle Larson (Ganassi Chevy), 595 /0
13. Greg Biffle (Roush Ford), 590 /0
14. Kasey Kahne (Hendrick Chevy), 589 /0
15. Austin Dillon (Childress Chevy), 588 /0
16. Paul Menard (Childress Chevy), 562 /0
17. Marcos Ambrose (Petty Ford), 541 /0
18. Brian Vickers (Waltrip Toyota), 539 /0
19. Tony Stewart (Stewart-Haas Chevy), 537 /0
20. Jamie McMurray (Ganassi Chevy), 536 /0
Old 5 Aug 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3441683)   #398
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Junior Is this his season?
Old 6 Aug 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3441948)   #399
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine being the driver who took out Joonyer early on in the Chase race at Talladega....
Old 8 Aug 2014, 02:09 (Ref:3442366)   #400
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cheez It 355 @ the Glen - one of my favorite races of the year.

Great road course for stockcars. Much better than that Cali track.