Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 1 Jul 2013, 12:59 (Ref:3272371)   #1
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What racing sim 'kit' do you use?

Just wondering what you guys are using to give me some ideas for my next dose of 'upgraditus'.

I have two set-ups...

an Xbox360, a Fanatec GT3 wheel and the CS pedals which I use to play Forza with the kids in the lounge using Fullview3D glasses on our passive 3D LG HDTV. The glasses allows each player to see a full sized screen when playing 2 player split screen racing games and they work fantastically well.

My PC is an I5 2500K, Nvidea 560TI, 8GB 1600 Ram and can play any of the current sims at decent resolutions/FPS.

I have a one off a kind racing cockpit which had been built by the Prodrive team out of roll cage tubing for Petter Sohlberg and it looks to have fitted one of the actual Kevlar Recaros from one of Petters old WRC cars.

My only problem is that it is massive and weighs a ton and I'm in two minds with what to do with it... do I go with a 3 monitor & 5.1 surround sound audio set-up or modify it to incorporate a projector for SuperFOV such as this amazing, extremely lifelike set-up as used by Remco?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I_OEXceZOk

Rfactor with Porsche 956, Gruppe C mod on the Nurburgring... stunning!

All ideas welcome...
Old 1 Jul 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3272379)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure I could ever use a seat setup, I would feel too much of a berK! but if its there maybe I would

I get on just fine with a G25 and a table thanks!

But some guys take this stuff really seriously, they wear gloves and boots! Makes me laugh really, for all the money they spend on kit they could havea go themselves!!

Never tried 3D, not sure many games support it yet driving wise

But I get more than enough enjoyment out of a basic setup and last efew times been up there with the quick guys, so mus be halfway there!
Old 1 Jul 2013, 14:11 (Ref:3272417)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm pretty well retired now. Still have my old red Momo Force, but haven't used it for months. I get enough ribbing for having that attached to my desk still, let alone a full blown cockpit!
Old 1 Jul 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3272419)   #4
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Not sure I could ever use a seat setup, I would feel too much of a berK! but if its there maybe I would

I get on just fine with a G25 and a table thanks!
Thanks, yeah, I only bought it because I got the chance to buy a little piece of WRC history but I must admit that having a proper seat/frame does allow me to be much better on the brakes due to the Clubsport brake pedal having a load cell that can be set up pretty stiff.

Quote:
But some guys take this stuff really seriously, they wear gloves and boots! Makes me laugh really, for all the money they spend on kit they could havea go themselves!!
The amount of money some of them spend is incredible. In that you tube video I linked Remco has a £2.5k!! Bodnar FFB wheel which is a custom made sim racing wheel which uses a high torque 240v industrial motor from a milling machine. It produces 16 NM of torque and as you can see in the video after he spins and the wheel re-centres that he has to keep his thumbs outside the centre of the wheel.
He also built his own racing cockpit inc shifter in full 1:1 scale based on the Tyrell P34 from Alluminium/alloy. See- http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/top...plica-cockpit/

Very OTT but a work of art nonetheless!

Quote:
Never tried 3D, not sure many games support it yet driving wise.
I don't actually use 3D, these Fullview3D dualplay glasses just allow me to see a 2D full sized screen when playing in split screen mode on my passive 3D TV

Quote:
I get more than enough enjoyment out of a basic setup and last few times been up there with the quick guys, so must be halfway there!
Yep, getting up there beside the quick guys is what its all about and can actually be done on a low-ish budget.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3272554)   #5
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I only "race" on PC, don't like consoles...And 3D things give me some headache so I never went that route.

But triple monitor is a must have for me since I first tried it at a friend's home. I bought 3x BenQ XL2420T and now I'm a very very very happy gamer. Need to upgrade my system to fully benefit from the 120hz refresh rate but still great at 60-80 FPS for now.
Appart from that my setup is very simplistic, just a G27 and a table.

Triple screen is the most important thing to me, not only for racing games.
Old 13 May 2016, 14:07 (Ref:3641361)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am looking for a new wheel actually, I still use my logitech MoMo (i race on PC only no consoles) obviously it has been around a long time. Any opinions on where to go from here? I was looking at thrustmaster t500, I am not going to custom build anything, or the ricmotech t500 with load cell braking, any thoughts on a direction?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk