Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Mar 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3720948)   #1
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rounds 1,2,3 Brands Hatch Indy 2017

It that time of year again when the British touring car championship starts its 30 race championship. 32 cars.

Who will be 1st to put it in the gravel?
Who will get pole for race 1?
will the meeting past without a visit from the safety car/red flag?
and who will leave Brands hatch with the points lead?

all questions will be answered next weekend as its time for action
Old 23 Mar 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3720957)   #2
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be a typical Brands Indy weekend...

I reckon we'll see some decent qualifying from the likes of Ingram, Taylor-Swift and Morgan but races ultimately won by the BMWs and Subarus. Honda will get stuck mid pack and will be down on straight line speed and despite much promotion by ITV4 in the build up, Vauxhall will DNF in a least two of the races and the drivers will have to resort to "we're treating this as an extended shakedown" cover ups in the interviews.

We'll see far too much of Mrs Turkington and Louise Goodman will get someone's name/car/team wrong.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3720960)   #3
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post

I reckon we'll see some decent qualifying from the likes of Ingram, Taylor-Swift and Morgan but races ultimately won by the BMWs and Subarus. Honda will get stuck mid pack and will be down on straight line speed and despite much promotion by ITV4 in the build up, Vauxhall will DNF in a least two of the races and the drivers will have to resort to "we're treating this as an extended shakedown" cover ups in the interviews.

We'll see far too much of Mrs Turkington and Louise Goodman will get someone's name/car/team wrong.
Throw in a 'quali red flagged for 10 minutes after someone dumps it in the gravel all by themselves' and that's pretty much the weekend done and dusted in a few seconds! What'll we do with all the time you've saved us?
Old 23 Mar 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3720987)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Honda will get stuck mid pack and will be down on straight line speed
Not much straight on the Indy circuit to be down on speed on, and I guess a 2,3 finish followed by a 1,2 means last year was not a normal Brands Indy?

And Hondas winning R2 and R3 in 2015 was not a normal Brands Indy?

And a Honda winning R1 and R2 in 2014?

Last edited by crmalcolm; 23 Mar 2017 at 21:04.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 22:41 (Ref:3721006)   #5
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and JP moaning about RWD start advantage ?
Old 24 Mar 2017, 06:43 (Ref:3721070)   #6
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not much straight on the Indy circuit to be down on speed on, and I guess a 2,3 finish followed by a 1,2 means last year was not a normal Brands Indy?

And Hondas winning R2 and R3 in 2015 was not a normal Brands Indy?

And a Honda winning R1 and R2 in 2014?
You're quoting my posts out of context again, then fact checking your own version to make me look stupid.

I'm actually a Neal/Honda fan, but having to learn to accept that this year will be tough as I can't see them pushing the RWD teams unless there's been some pegging back. It's getting to a stage where a Honda win is hard fought (and occasionally dirty I agree), where the RWD wins seemed to be easy looking (usually crossing the line with a decent gap).

*Waits patiently for crmalcolm to quote this post then edit it to his liking and provide a table of every Honda win with gaps to 2nd to suggest that they had it easy*
Old 24 Mar 2017, 08:07 (Ref:3721079)   #7
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that BMW will be the team to beat, especially Turks and Collard as Jordan will be struggling to match the pace of his team mates cause of lack of RWD experience. However my bold prediction is that Subaru will not be that strong as everyone thinks.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3721087)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think the likely cool temperatures wont help the RWD teams. My money is on Honda and TIngram / Morgan to be at the front. Brands has never really been a RWD circuit.

Last edited by Sodemo; 24 Mar 2017 at 09:05.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3721102)   #9
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Austin has gone well round Brands Indy in Sherman before, and him and the Avensis seem to be going really well since the later parts of 2016 (Brands GP especially) so I reckon he could get an unlikely win, maybe from R3.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3721108)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What is a typical Brands Indy weekend?

From previous weekends, I would expect that to see Hondas run well, a new, or heavily re-developed car to surprise with a strong showing, and for one of the pre-season favourites to come away with little or no points.

My own preference would be to see a Honda podium lock-out all weekend, but I fear that Simpson may only get on two of the three podiums (pipped by Chilton for the third).
Old 24 Mar 2017, 10:25 (Ref:3721109)   #11
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You're quoting my posts out of context again, then fact checking your own version to make me look stupid.

I'm actually a Neal/Honda fan, but having to learn to accept that this year will be tough as I can't see them pushing the RWD teams unless there's been some pegging back. It's getting to a stage where a Honda win is hard fought (and occasionally dirty I agree), where the RWD wins seemed to be easy looking (usually crossing the line with a decent gap).

*Waits patiently for crmalcolm to quote this post then edit it to his liking and provide a table of every Honda win with gaps to 2nd to suggest that they had it easy*
Seriously, quit your stupid victim role and stop feeling sorry for yourself. He only quoted the relevant bits and replied to them with arguments. FFS, it's a discussion forum, start a blog if you don't want anybody replying to your posts...
Old 24 Mar 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3721110)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I comment that it will be a typical Brands Indy weekend, then give a scenario that is nothing like the previous few years Brands Indy weekend...

So I will wait patiently for crmalcolm to quote this post then edit it to his liking and provide a table of a Honda win with gap to 3rd to suggest that they had it easy
Is this what you are waiting for:

P/No/Independent/Driver/Car/Laps/Gap
1. 52 (M) Gordon Shedden - Honda Civic Type R - Laps 26
2. 25 (M) Matt Neal - Honda Civic Type R - Laps 26 - Gap 0.848
3. 40 (I) Aron Smith - Volkswagen CC - Laps26 - Gap - 3.132

If I see the same result this season, I will join you in celebrating Honda success (in fact anything other than Plato on the podium and I'll be happy).

Last edited by crmalcolm; 24 Mar 2017 at 10:34. Reason: Table layout
Old 24 Mar 2017, 14:56 (Ref:3721198)   #13
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
What is a typical Brands Indy weekend?

From previous weekends, I would expect that to see Hondas run well, a new, or heavily re-developed car to surprise with a strong showing, and for one of the pre-season favourites to come away with little or no points.

My own preference would be to see a Honda podium lock-out all weekend, but I fear that Simpson may only get on two of the three podiums (pipped by Chilton for the third).
My reference to 'typical weekend' was more aimed at the fact we'll see some good qually from the young guns, who then fall back during the race itself. The comments regarding Honda more predictions/expectations than anything else.

Quote:
Is this what you are waiting for:

P/No/Independent/Driver/Car/Laps/Gap
1. 52 (M) Gordon Shedden - Honda Civic Type R - Laps 26
2. 25 (M) Matt Neal - Honda Civic Type R - Laps 26 - Gap 0.848
3. 40 (I) Aron Smith - Volkswagen CC - Laps26 - Gap - 3.132

If I see the same result this season, I will join you in celebrating Honda success (in fact anything other than Plato on the podium and I'll be happy).
Well played

Agreed, I really hope Honda can make it 3 on the bounce but if not, as much as I dislike Turkington (I personally think he's overated) I really want to see him get his own back at Plato and royally show him up!
Old 24 Mar 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3721201)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They are showing the advert for the championship on ITV4 a lot. Can't wait. Can anyone topple Honda? Who will be the better RWD car? How will Vauxhall go? How will Team Parker do now with two experienced hands? And so much more
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3721243)   #15
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turkington overrated? Really?
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3721246)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The comments regarding Honda more predictions/expectations than anything else.
The Brands Indy layout seems to suit Neal/Shedden/The Civic and on base weight I expect (hope) them to have a strong showing. The full GP seems to suit less, possibly where the last section of the lap is concerned.

Where knockhill/oulton park have climbs out of a hairpin, and croft is flat, the drop at Brands also seems to negate RWD advantage in this area.

I fear the prediction of problems for Honda on straights will be seen at Snetterton and Silverstone, and the RWDs will be strong at the tracks I mentioned above, but for the first weekend here's hoping we see Hondas at the top of the tree and Plato is the pre-season favourite who struggles.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:34 (Ref:3721256)   #17
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Turkington overrated? Really?
Yep, I personally find him a bit dull, sure he's smooth and fairly clean, but too clinical, never seems like he's on the ragged edge. I hate how ITV mention his name every 5 seconds even if he's not in the lead. When you've drivers who can wrangle a great performance out of a car I find Colin's lack of hunger boring. Compared to guys like Shedden and Mat Jackson I just don't find him that exciting to watch.

Quote:
The Brands Indy layout seems to suit Neal/Shedden/The Civic and on base weight I expect (hope) them to have a strong showing. The full GP seems to suit less, possibly where the last section of the lap is concerned.

Where knockhill/oulton park have climbs out of a hairpin, and croft is flat, the drop at Brands also seems to negate RWD advantage in this area.

I fear the prediction of problems for Honda on straights will be seen at Snetterton and Silverstone, and the RWDs will be strong at the tracks I mentioned above, but for the first weekend here's hoping we see Hondas at the top of the tree and Plato is the pre-season favourite who struggles.
You're spot on with the different circuits, the past few years at Knockhill they've done ok on the brakes/vtec down into the hairpin but like you say they can't keep up over the line. They'd have held on ok at Thruxton were it not for the punctures. The issue with Brands Indy is if they get held up in mid pack tussles they don't have the power to overtake and if they get overcrowded and unable to utilise their superior handling to carry the speed in the corners they end up going backwards.

If the RWD's block out the top of the standings then we'll be lucky if Honda can keep it in the top 6. I reckon the best we can hope for is a reverse grid 1-2.

This season is going to be about consistency and keeping in the points, something Matt Neal has managed quite well over the last few years.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3721258)   #18
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The issue with Brands Indy is if they get held up in mid pack tussles they don't have the power to overtake and if they get overcrowded and unable to utilise their superior handling to carry the speed in the corners they end up going backwards.
I wouldn't be too concerned - Neal and Shedden usually find a way of getting past from McLaren into Clearways.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:57 (Ref:3721263)   #19
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, I personally find him a bit dull, sure he's smooth and fairly clean, but too clinical, never seems like he's on the ragged edge. I hate how ITV mention his name every 5 seconds even if he's not in the lead. When you've drivers who can wrangle a great performance out of a car I find Colin's lack of hunger boring. Compared to guys like Shedden and Mat Jackson I just don't find him that exciting to watch.

You're spot on with the different circuits, the past few years at Knockhill they've done ok on the brakes/vtec down into the hairpin but like you say they can't keep up over the line. They'd have held on ok at Thruxton were it not for the punctures. The issue with Brands Indy is if they get held up in mid pack tussles they don't have the power to overtake and if they get overcrowded and unable to utilise their superior handling to carry the speed in the corners they end up going backwards.

If the RWD's block out the top of the standings then we'll be lucky if Honda can keep it in the top 6. I reckon the best we can hope for is a reverse grid 1-2.

This season is going to be about consistency and keeping in the points, something Matt Neal has managed quite well over the last few years.
Jason is that you?
Old 24 Mar 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3721265)   #20
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He's not the most exciting or dramatic to watch, but if I had a team I don't think there's a guy I'd prefer to have driving for me. He hugely consistent, not hard on the cars, doesn't pick up a lot of damage (or penalties), provides intelligent, knowledgeable feedback and comes across as a model pro.

He is, to the BTCC, what Ford are to the car industry. If you want flamboyance (Plato, Jackson, Shedden) buy an Alfa, if you want something that you know will do a job, be reliable, enjoyable and decent on the eye you get a Ford...or a Turkington in this case!
Old 24 Mar 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3721274)   #21
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Jason is that you?
I bloody hope not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
He's not the most exciting or dramatic to watch, but if I had a team I don't think there's a guy I'd prefer to have driving for me. He hugely consistent, not hard on the cars, doesn't pick up a lot of damage (or penalties), provides intelligent, knowledgeable feedback and comes across as a model pro.

He is, to the BTCC, what Ford are to the car industry. If you want flamboyance (Plato, Jackson, Shedden) buy an Alfa, if you want something that you know will do a job, be reliable, enjoyable and decent on the eye you get a Ford...or a Turkington in this case!
Good analogy (though as a Ford owner not sure I totally agree ). Like I say, he's a good consistent driver, but just does nothing for me. I still remember watching Jackson in his family run BMW at Croft driving the nuts off the thing and being on the edge of my seat (I don't think he even won but he tried damn hard), similarly watching Shedden clinch his titles, fighting for every position. Yet I have no memories of Colin doing anything special. Even when he won his titles I can't remember how or when he managed it. I felt the same about Tordoff, technically a great driver but in a sport that's as much about entertainment as pure skill then these guys seem more suited to GT and endurance events where pitch perfect performances land wins.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3721368)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nothing wrong with Colin's unhurried style. Anyway he does pull off some great overtaking moves time after time. And he managed to keep his cool when in the pack in his 2009 title.

Anyway it's not just the BTCC we've got to look forward to, let's also hope the support package is as good
Old 25 Mar 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3721379)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Nothing wrong with Colin's unhurried style. Anyway he does pull off some great overtaking moves time after time. And he managed to keep his cool when in the pack in his 2009 title.

Anyway it's not just the BTCC we've got to look forward to, let's also hope the support package is as good
Clio's Clio's!!!
Old 25 Mar 2017, 20:46 (Ref:3721487)   #24
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I have two Alfas. That makes me deranged, not flamboyant...

As for Brands: I see Turks on R1 pole, with a Tingram close by. And a certain Mr Austin.

Mr Rob Collard will qualify somewhere at the back and peddle like a madman to the front.

Louise will go to the wrong side of at least one car when looking for the driver.

I'm going to quit guessing whilst I'm ahead.

N.B. utterly unrelated but drove the new new Honda this week. Nice motor 😀 Only 12 months 'till the stickered up racer...
Old 26 Mar 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3721568)   #25
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I have two Alfas. That makes me deranged, not flamboyant...
I'd call you optimistic!