Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Oct 2003, 22:12 (Ref:757536)   #51
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many people here actually know him, and away from the track associate with him. They are the ones that I would like to hear their opinions of MS.
At anytime I have had to have any dealing with him, he has always been polite. I have also seen what people are talking about here, happen. I know someone that Mark use to drive for years ago, he has told me great stories about how proffesional he was back then, and how motivating to the crew he was.
As for drivers ignoring kids, Gardner was a classic for that, and it happened to my son. RT lucky you were nowhere around me, I don't think you would of ever spoken to me again.
But then I met him and had a conversation with him at Bathurst a couple of years ago, and he was a nice guy. God, if anyone spoke to me at the moment, they would think I was the biggest bit$% on earth, but that is because of circumstances at the moment, not because of who I really am.
So maybe it is Mark Skaife racing driver you do not like, not Mark Skaife the person. This is also for others drivers, not just him.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 22:45 (Ref:757564)   #52
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say I've seen a few different sides to Mark. I remember at QR last year, on the Saturday when he wasn't qualifying the car, he was laid back and easy to get on with, but on Sunday, he was on a mission and you had to get out of his way!

Same goes for a lot of top drivers. What about Wayne Gardner? Sometimes he is a top bloke, at other times a right royal prick...
Old 20 Oct 2003, 23:20 (Ref:757597)   #53
jango
Rookie

Australia
Perth
jango should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can excuse any driver for being a little self centred on race weekend - but it is hard to excuse his performances elsewhere, such as on V8 Superstars where he continually makes a ******** of himself.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 02:13 (Ref:757680)   #54
Captain
Rookie

Captain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand why people hate Skaife. As people such as GTR and sevi have stated, there are people that claim to hate him without having met him. I can not see any reason from V8 Superstars to hate him either, while he does appear to be a little arrogant, most of that I have always assumed was an attempt at humour. I would like to know if there were any examples of his public behaviour that has greatly upset people as it seems to me that this is just another case of tall poppy syndrome.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 02:17 (Ref:757681)   #55
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ask trevor ashby..
Old 21 Oct 2003, 02:27 (Ref:757686)   #56
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They dont play that little piece any more do they... hmmmm

Its an emotional sport... look at Jr and Tander's little fun as well...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Oct 2003, 02:31 (Ref:757691)   #57
Vee8
Racer

Vee8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sevi
How many people here actually know him, and away from the track associate with him. They are the ones that I would like to hear their opinions of MS.
Sevi, my path and his cross a couple of times at each race meeting and almost without fail he stops to say g'day or, if he's busy, at least an acknowledgement. I'm no-one of consequence in the grander scheme of things and there's no reason for him to do so unless he wanted to.

Having said that, I know well enough to steer clear of him immediately before or during a race, because he is a different type of beast. If that sort of focus is what makes him a great driver, then so be it.

And let me just make the point that he's far from Robinson Crusoe around the paddock when it comes to putting on the "race face" to the exclusion of all else ...
Old 21 Oct 2003, 02:32 (Ref:757692)   #58
dynamik gal
Racer

Netherlands
F1 Melbourne, Australia
dynamik gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the word hate is probably too strong to be used against a guy like Skaife. Many people forget that when they approach a driver over a race weekend that he would have thousands of things running thru their mind regarding their cars and the results they are striving to achieve. We forget that things might not always be rosy under the bonnet, therefore the drivers wont always be in the best of moods, wont always have 10 seconds to sign an autograph or talk etc. This is seen as arrogant on the part of the driver, but us fans must accept that if we want our chosen favourite driver/team to succeed, that we must allow them the space to do what is, and should be recognised fully as, their jobs.

I dont think that Skaife is as bad as he is made out, perhaps he concentrates more on what is infront of him on the track rather than off it. I think we all have to count ourselves lucky that we have such an "open" series, where we can approach teams, drivers and the cars up close and take it all in.

I think we all have to take a little step back and not take for granted the small opportunities that we do have to get to know these guys away from the driver's seat. I think Skaife is a great driver and sometimes we should be patient and a bit open minded should we think he's come across arrgoant, when really he may just have other, more important things on his mind.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 04:59 (Ref:757756)   #59
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wizzby
How old do you honestly think I am?
To be honest Wizzby I have no idea.Judging by your writings I would hazard a guess that you're somewhere in the 15-20 age bracket.My observation was not aimed at you personally, it's just that I've noticed most of Skaife's fans are younger people.

Last edited by moffman; 21 Oct 2003 at 05:00.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 05:54 (Ref:757801)   #60
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Higher... the average age of my unofficial fan club is about 30
Old 21 Oct 2003, 06:14 (Ref:757819)   #61
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wizzby
Higher... the average age of my unofficial fan club is about 30
20-25 is my final bid.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 06:16 (Ref:757821)   #62
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought it was impolite to ask a lady her age, even if offered
Old 21 Oct 2003, 08:09 (Ref:757937)   #63
Rulekeeeper
Rookie

Rulekeeeper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A fan club for Skaife-you've got to be joking
Old 21 Oct 2003, 08:51 (Ref:757979)   #64
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Well for some but others don't like to hide that much GTR

I am 22, and I am the youngest of the group by several years...

And yes a fan club, as much as you'll never admit he does actually have people out there who like him. BTW, nice name change again...
Old 21 Oct 2003, 09:03 (Ref:757996)   #65
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been a Mark Skaife fan for as long as he's been racing. I'm probably a bit outside Moffman's demographic at age 54, but there you go.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 09:05 (Ref:757998)   #66
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Can't please everyone can we?

Last edited by Wizzby; 21 Oct 2003 at 09:06.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 13:30 (Ref:758279)   #67
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rulekeeeper
A fan club for Skaife-you've got to be joking
I love it!!!!!!LOL LOL !!!!
Old 21 Oct 2003, 13:55 (Ref:758304)   #68
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Well, if the far and away most successful driver of the Supercar era didn't have a fan club, what hope do the lesser achievers have of having one? A fan club for those who've never won Bathurst even once, or only once or twice - or a Championship even once, or only once or twice - I'd love that. Is there a Marcos or Russell fan-club? We'd love that. Maybe a Craig fan-club. There's an opening for a Craig-when-he-drove-a-Holden fan-club for the extremely keen.

We're not laughing at you, Grimace. We're laughing with you. Yep, fan-clubs are very silly really.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 14:05 (Ref:758318)   #69
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
I'm pretty sure there is a Russell Ingall club, but Mark doesn't have a fan club because 1. it's not really his thing and 2. HRT already have Club 1 and he associates a lot with that, and considering he now owns the teams, it's practically his fan club anyway.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 14:14 (Ref:758329)   #70
Aarrgh8
Veteran

With 'Hand Brake Turn' and other more worthy pursuits, I'm sure Mark isn't too interested in a fan-club as such. I was just pointing out the silliness of fan-clubs. All the same, a Russell Ingall fan-club makes sense to me. There's always a chance that after chasing rainbows, Russ might actually catch one and someone would start such a thing.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 21:51 (Ref:758774)   #71
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aarrgh8
With All the same, a Russell Ingall fan-club makes sense to me. There's always a chance that after chasing rainbows, Russ might actually catch one and someone would start such a thing.

Let me guess, you loved Rusty when he was with Holden didn't you?
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:42 (Ref:758832)   #72
Aarrgh8
Veteran

No, never been a Russell fan - except maybe admiring his aggression in FFords. Not since then though. On the other hand, I've always been a Dick Johnson fan, and a Marcos supporter too. Sorry if I don't fit that demographic either.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:43 (Ref:758834)   #73
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Hey even Speedy Thexton has a fanclub! He is quite chuffed at the support he has had from fans all over the place, wishing he and his team genuine success!
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:47 (Ref:758837)   #74
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aarrgh8
No, never been a Russell fan - except maybe admiring his aggression in FFords. Not since then though. On the other hand, I've always been a Dick Johnson fan, and a Marcos supporter too. Sorry if I don't fit that demographic either.
I have had to follow Russell Ingall over to Ford ferchrissake. Actually, it's quite nice over here
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:49 (Ref:758840)   #75
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Rusty is still a shot at the title too
Closed Thread