Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 11 Feb 2004, 22:37 (Ref:871292)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good News At Minardi!

www.grandprix.com has some good news to report for Minardi fans.

"The new Minardi PS4B, was out running at Misano yesterday with Baumgatner at the wheel. The novice lapped the track in 1m11.80s, which is 2.5 seconds faster than the best time recorded by the team at the track back in 02".

Not bad for a team that hardly ever has any good news to report. They may just wind up giving Jordan, and some others, fits this year!
Old 11 Feb 2004, 22:42 (Ref:871297)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hasn't Misano been resurfaced since 02?
Old 11 Feb 2004, 22:53 (Ref:871299)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, that was Fiorano.

This improvement was largely down to tyres.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 22:59 (Ref:871301)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wouldn't that be a laugh if Jordan became the new "minardi" of F1 i.e. always finishing at the back. I hope that minardi can hook up with a manufacturer to help it's position, much like sauber did with ferrari.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 23:34 (Ref:871330)   #5
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im glad that the try hards are finally haveing some good luck.I have the greatest respect for them as they front every race knowing that the car isn't fast enough to win but do their best anyway.They don't complain or constantly winge about this and that but keep their heads down and get on with it.If they could get Ferrari customer engines they would deffinatly become mid feild runners.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 11 Feb 2004 at 23:34.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 00:23 (Ref:871356)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know what to make of this positive news, as the last time they ran there was 2002. Maybe 2 seconds quicker is not much. But from what I gather Minardi does well with what little they have. And yes, I applaud their efforts, even if I do not understand it. However, I disagree about the complaining part. I've read quite a few tidbits where Stoddart has come off a bit whiney.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 00:27 (Ref:871359)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
[BMaybe 2 seconds quicker is not much. [/B]
Uhmmm, 2.5 seconds to be exact.

Well, we don't want to cheat them do we?
Old 12 Feb 2004, 00:41 (Ref:871368)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by mountainstar
Wouldn't that be a laugh if Jordan became the new "minardi" of F1
I was watching the 1999 F1 review this evening and i don't honestly know how things could have gone so bad for Jordan since that season.

However, i like to see the underdog do well, and hope that Minardi at least manage to score some points this year!
Old 12 Feb 2004, 00:50 (Ref:871372)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Hey, more good news!

www.motorsport.com is reporting that Bruni, who took over the driving today, recorded a 1m 9.627s run at Misano. Thts almost another 2 seconds off Baumgartners time. Just as important, Minardi got in 128 trouble-free laps. Stoddart and his crew are understandably very happy over these results.

Goodness, soon they maybe challenging the top 3!

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Feb 2004, 01:07 (Ref:871387)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Just thinking, with the times that Jaguar seem to be setting, what chance them losing out to both Jordan and Minardi this season?
Old 12 Feb 2004, 08:06 (Ref:871560)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good on Miardi that they have got that Arrows working . But seriously i think Miardi need to 'speed' up last year at times they were 5 secs slower than the pole men!
Old 12 Feb 2004, 08:08 (Ref:871565)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
I've read quite a few tidbits where Stoddart has come off a bit whiney.
you have to say in this off season its mean EJ whos been doing all the whining...
Old 12 Feb 2004, 08:17 (Ref:871568)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good starting point for Minardi, but nothing more IMO.
Happy that Bruni outperformed baumgartner, Gianmaria is expected to be a good talent; let's hope Minardi will confirm their talent-scout vocation...
Old 12 Feb 2004, 08:34 (Ref:871578)   #14
Bridget Stone
Racer

Bridget Stone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Jos would have known this on forehand he would certainly have stayed with Minardi

love, bridget
Old 12 Feb 2004, 09:31 (Ref:871616)   #15
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mountainstar
Wouldn't that be a laugh if Jordan became the new "minardi" of F1 i.e. always finishing at the back. I hope that minardi can hook up with a manufacturer to help it's position, much like sauber did with ferrari.
No, it wouldn't be a laugh. What would there possibly be to laugh at?
Old 12 Feb 2004, 09:57 (Ref:871627)   #16
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't take me wrong, but, "I don't belive it"!!!!
Old 12 Feb 2004, 10:53 (Ref:871669)   #17
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely the main question to ask is: what is a good time for Misano set by a car like a Ferrari? Any data on this?
Old 12 Feb 2004, 13:43 (Ref:871921)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Surely the main question to ask is: what is a good time for Misano set by a car like a Ferrari? Any data on this?
Thats a good question, but since I don't have the answer, I'll have to go with the good news of Bruni driving the Minardi about 4 seconds faster than they did last year, at Misano.

In a time where F1 is spending millions of dollars to shave off a few tenths of second off a lap time, the 4 seconds Minardi has taken off is really quite dramatic IMHO.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 15:05 (Ref:872063)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was the 2002 time set early or late in the season? If it was in late 2002, it's a fairly impressive advance. If it was in early 2002, I doubt it's more than Ferrari or Williams have shaved off their times.

The main relevance we can take from all this is that Bruni is 2 seconds faster than Baumgartner, which is impressive in itself. Gimmi could easily be the next Alonso or Webber.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 15:25 (Ref:872076)   #20
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most impressive thing about thoes times is that it's the first time the car has been on the track. Baumgartner did 64 laps that must have included a lot of shake-down laps, Bruni did 64 laps the day after in the same car. So 128 trouble free laps the first time the car is on the track is pretty good :-)

According to the danish F1 site pole-position.dk they use a Cosworth CR3L engine, is that a development of the engine they used in 2003 or is it the same as Jaguar and Jordan has this year?
Old 12 Feb 2004, 19:41 (Ref:872297)   #21
grumpy1
Veteran

I stand to be corrected but I think thats development of last years engine.Your right about Bruni being the next Alonso,Webber.I read an artical where he was likened to a very young MS.Completly determind no matter what the machinery he always gave 110% and always was able to get the thing to go faster then one would have thought possible.The other thing is Mr Stoddard has an eye for untapped talent and the faith to give them a go.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 12 Feb 2004 at 19:45.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 20:15 (Ref:872341)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
Your right about Bruni being the next Alonso,Webber.I read an artical where he was likened to a very young MS.

Steady on, that man.

I think we're getting a little carried away.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 20:26 (Ref:872350)   #23
grumpy1
Veteran

Hey Im only saying what someone else has said.You have to admit Mr stoddard does have an eye for this sort of thing though.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 12 Feb 2004 at 20:31.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 20:33 (Ref:872355)   #24
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
Hey Im only saying what someone else has said.You have to admit Mr stoddard does have an eye for this sort of thing though.

The Grumpy1

Well Alonso did start under Stoddart, so he would know what the next Alonso would look like, better than most.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 20:37 (Ref:872359)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pics of the Minardi test.

http://www.pitpass.com/galleryhome.cfm