Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 17 Mar 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1551165)   #101
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
There seem to be at least 3 GRD threads. May need a bit of work and merging before ready for the sub forum?
Hi John

Yes, three of them!! The main thread is the [/url="http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61248"]Mo Harness[/url] one and should be the basis of a new GRD Chassis History thread. The GRD 376 thread is straightforward and can merge straight in. The GRD 372 and 374 one is a little harder. Most of it is before the Mo Harness thread started but some of the Oct/Nov 2005 posts will be in amongst the main thread posts. The only issue I could see was that Chris's post of 2 Nov (#35), which is talking about the Williamson 372 in the posts above, will get separated from them by quite a way. However, it still makes sense as a standalone post so I don't think it's worth worrying about.

The last four posts of the GRD 372 and 374 thread can be deleted as they are just pointing out the existence of the Mo Harness thread or duplicating posts. Apart from that, all three can just be merged together.

The merged thread will be a great resource.

Allen
Old 17 Mar 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1551502)   #102
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OOOOOOH pretty brown colours, makes a change from staring at blue,

Seriously , just great .

Bryan.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1551929)   #103
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Miller
OOOOOOH pretty brown colours, makes a change from staring at blue,

Seriously , just great .

Bryan.
The brown palette is far easier on the eye. How about a Motorsport Green banner heading? Or is that too controversial?

Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1552912)   #104
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Should it be here? Your comments and suggestions!

As referred to in the suggested guideline, this is the place for you to:-

1) Provide your suggestions about how we ensure this thread stays true to its aims, and how to improve it
2) To highlight any posts that you consider should not be here because they are irrelevant or inappropriate.

Last edited by John Turner; 20 Mar 2006 at 08:19.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1552922)   #105
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting idea, Steve!

OK, as you can see I'm back now, so I'll try and make a start on the suggested threads for edit/transfer, tomorrow!
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1552925)   #106
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A comment on your guidelines: opinions are an important element of establishing the truth and must be allowed if not encouraged. The important thing is to make it clear that it is only an opinion.

A better rule would be "quote your sources". A comment "Bill's car went to Joe" is not as useful as "Bill told me that he sold his car to Joe" or Autosport (12 Apr 1973 p12) says "Joe was driving his ex-Bill car".

Allen
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1552936)   #107
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Allen, I thought that would require a qualification, so happy to amend!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 08:26 (Ref:1553431)   #108
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
We need to bear in mind the size of images that should be kept to the rules of the website and identified in the website FAQs. Please make sure that an image is not so large that it distorts the rest of the page, or better still, post it as a thumbnail. Andrew, in accordance with this, I'm afraid I'm going to have to reduce this image ....
....http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...46#post1551646
...... to a thumbnail. Sorry!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1553617)   #109
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please ensure that any images posted are free from copyright,and if not are posted with the copyright holders permission(as Allen Brown has done with me )
Old 20 Mar 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1553628)   #110
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ted, that is, of course, one of our website rules anyway, but as images may become, I hope, an important and integral part of this archive, I'll add that to the 'Please Read First' thread. Many thanks for reminding me.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1553643)   #111
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
It seems sensible to change the thread name and move it here.

GRD threads now merged in accordance with Allen's advice. Let me know if any further pruning is required. The original threads remain in their entirety in the main forum, so we can edit as much as we like here, without losing any posts from the site.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1554210)   #112
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
How about making a Lola T450/T550 thread next out of The T450 thread next?

I reckon it needs posts 15, 16, 17 (split), 18 (split), 19 (copy), 27 (copy), 28 (copy), 29, 30 (copy), 40 (copy), 41 (copy), 42 (copy), 70-75, 76 (copy), 83, 89, 90, 114 (copy), 118, 121 (copy), 129 (copy), 130 (copy), 131 (copy), 142-156 and 169 (copy).

Then I could add the T450 and T550 Lola records I got at Huntingdon today.

Allen
OK, I did this, but was unhappy with the end result. I was concerned that the discussion between several posters (including me!) over the value of the car purchased by Thomas lola's Dad brought only dubious, if any, value to this particular thread. Also his understandable response to a post by dereklola is irrelevant since Derek's post was no longer on this thread. I have therefore edited Thomas' post drastically, and removed the following posts relating to the issue. I'd also like to severely edit posts 22 and 23 and dispense with post 24 altogether, since this is about thread is about the 450/550, not the 460. Any thoughts?
Old 20 Mar 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1554233)   #113
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I'd also like to severely edit posts 22 and 23 and dispense with post 24 altogether, since this is about thread is about the 450/550, not the 460. Any thoughts?
I don't understand. Posts 22, 23 and 24 all relate to T460s so they should stay where they are.

I hope you haven't been confused by the horrible error I made in the post you quote - which should say:

How about making a Lola T450/T550 thread next out of The T460 thread next.

So the posts you are taking out form a new (F2) T450/T550 thread while what's left behind becomes a (Atlantic) T460/T560 thread.

Sorry about that mix up.

Allen
Old 20 Mar 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1554247)   #114
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41138

The Lotus 35 thread - there are some mentions of other models, but not many.

Paul M
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1554270)   #115
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
I don't understand. Posts 22, 23 and 24 all relate to T460s so they should stay where they are. Allen
Sorry, but I think I have confused you now! The post numbers I am referring to are in the new T450/550 thread (have you looked at it, yet, Allen?). They do indeed relate primarily to the 460, and should be left in the original thread, which is why I'm asking the question. I haven't sorted the main thread out yet!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1554271)   #116
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41138

The Lotus 35 thread - there are some mentions of other models, but not many.

Paul M
Paul, yes, looks like a good call! I'll have a proper look, shortly!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1554274)   #117
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I see Simon's chipped in to start a thread on the Merlyn Mk6 which I hope we can help with. I'd really like to see some more sportcar chassis history on here. B6/B8, B16, B19, Ginetta G12, Lotus 23, Brabham BT8 etc?

Last edited by John Turner; 21 Mar 2006 at 17:52.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1554282)   #118
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

OK, now I see it. I had the default "in the last two weeks" setting so I wasn't seeing some of the older threads that you've now moved across.

The posts you refer to are talking about the David Render cars and I think they can stay put. Render's "T460" was actually a T450 and his "T560" was actually a T550 so they need to be in the 450/550 thread. I'm just about to "reveal" what I learnt at Lola about the T550 and the T560 which will straighten out a lot of the confusion.

Because the way the search works, can the thread title be "T450 and T550" please? The search won't give you "T450/550" in response to a search for either "T450" or even "550" as it sees "T450/550" as a different word. Ditto the T380/390 thread please.

Allen
Old 20 Mar 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1555070)   #119
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The Lotus 35 thread took a bit more work than expected, and I have also separated out a small thread on the 44. There is also a lot of very good info. on the 41 in the original 35 thread, so I'll sort that one out, too.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1555312)   #120
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
After taking a good look through Another Chevron one and also Chevron B48, I can't see any way of making a coherent story out of any split of those threads. The "Another Chevron one" thread is unable to focus on any one subject for more than about two posts and a large proportion of the posts address several subjects or address a car where we simply don't know whether it was a B42 or a B48 or a B49 (or a B46 or a B47). However, the basic gist of it is B42s, B48s and B49s. The Chevron B48 thread does at least stick on its subject.

I hate to say this, but the best idea I can come up with is to:
1) merge the Chevron B48 thread into "Another Chevron one"
2) rename it "Chevron B42, B48, B49 and other late Chevrons"
3) lock it!
4) Encourage someone to start new threads on the B42, B48 and B49 along the same lines as Chris's new B20, B25 and B27 threads, starting with a summary of what we know.

Or are 3) and 4) a bad idea?

Allen
Any decision on this yet, folks?
Old 20 Mar 2006, 22:39 (Ref:1555319)   #121
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
This looks like a good candidate but might need some splitting out, particularly as there are references to T55s as well:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41483

I have taken the gamble of moving a few 'standalone' threads into here and hope you agree with that. Some are clearly awaiting updates! There are others which could be suitable that I haven't yet moved because they don't really appear to have enough 'meat' on them.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 23:48 (Ref:1555370)   #122
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Good thread on those early Lolas. Best of luck working out what to call it. Maybe you can model the name on the March 73S - 74S - 75S - 76S - 77S etc thread!

I see it ended with me failing to fulfill a promise. Again!

Allen
Old 21 Mar 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1555553)   #123
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Allen, you're not the only one! Bryan needs to be looking here!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...29#post1278429
Old 21 Mar 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1555885)   #124
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
As you can see, I've started to add a few pics; not only to illustrate the models but help to keep track of where some of these cars are now. I hope that you think this is a good idea, as I am building up quite a collection of (my own!) pics that I'm happy to put on here, as long as no-one expects professional quality!
Old 21 Mar 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1555898)   #125
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Allen, now I have split out the T450 & 550 stuff out from the main T460 thread, do you agree that most of the remainder, having edited out B35 posts and other extraneous material(!) should be called the 'Lola T360, T460 & T560' thread? Also are you happy for me to do this without any further input from you? Is everbody else happy with what has been done, so far?