Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Mar 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2844374)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ILMC 2012 discussion

With news filtering through from the 2011 LMS Test Days at Paul Ricard that the 2012 ILMC will no longer share dates/races with the Le Mans Series, please bring all 2012 ILMC discussion here.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2844422)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Dont like this Mr.B .
Old 12 Mar 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2844466)   #3
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Looking optimistically perhaps it means that there are likely to be so many entries that it would not be possible to run them in the same race!
Old 12 Mar 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2844473)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I hope this tradgedy in Japan doesnt interupt Japanese motorsports too much .
Old 12 Mar 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2844492)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
This is massively ironic and backwards.

It has always been my opinion that Europe needed the ILMC, while it was harmful for the Americas.

Now LMS boots it out, and will have privateer fields, while ILMC is likely to struggle to put on a full grid in Europe.

ALMS still embraces ILMC.

Meanwhile, ILMC will need to adopt a GT3 category or something to boost numbers... something the ALMS should have done a long time ago.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 14:08 (Ref:2844494)   #6
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I hope this tradgedy in Japan doesnt interupt Japanese motorsports too much .
I think they need to finish pulling the bodies out before they think about racing cars - your comment is a bit insensitive at this early stage of such an disaster.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2844511)   #7
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting to see commentator Martin Haven currently castigating the ILMC on twitter.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2844514)   #8
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
The ILMC tag in the title thread is slightly askew, if you haven't noticed.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2844571)   #9
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Meanwhile, ILMC will need to adopt a GT3 category or something to boost numbers... something the ALMS should have done a long time ago.
Actually, I think it'll be the other way around... many teams will choose to run in the high profile ILMC-rounds, but LMS will be short of quality entries not just for a few but for all their races...
Old 12 Mar 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2844593)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When Pescarolo, a team who are the archetypal small constructor, say their 2011 LMS campaign is a stop gap to entering the ILMC as a World Championship is what the top level of the sport needs it seems obvious the long term roles of both series are quite different.

LMS P1 numbers are minimal before you remove Pescarolo and Rebellion, you also have to think privateer Astons from Jota etc. will be destined for the ILMC/ALMS while the example of Hope Polevision wshows a team moving straight from LMPC to P1 in the ILMC.

This is the first year of new LMP regulations and ILMC entrants number near 30 before you consider any local entrants. From day one the LMS have had entries near the 40 car mark and focused more upon the needs of teams stepping up from national series. The make-up of such grids are not only very different they cannot be hosted at most circuits.

I believe the ILMC and ALMS are destined to be the two major professional sportscar series like FIA WSC and IMSA GTP enabling the LMS to return to it's pro/am roots and develop teams. Free from juggling the calander for the ILMC and LMS the ACO will have more options to host races in the likes of South America.

Last edited by JAG; 12 Mar 2011 at 17:59.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2844599)   #11
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit early to create such a thread when 2011 didn't start yet
Old 12 Mar 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2844608)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Interesting to see commentator Martin Haven currently castigating the ILMC on twitter.
Had a quick read and disagree with a number of points.

Last years Sebring was the poorest for many a year, the LMS and ALMS both lost factory support and without a major change in strategy both would have been lost to the sport at a time series like F1 and the WRC are expanding into new markets.

We had a similar scenario in the mid-to-late 90's when Le Mans was packed with manufactuers who one by one they left as they could not justify multi-million dollar budgets for a single race. Today we have Audi and Peugeot back with more commitment to be joined by Aston and the beginings of interest from Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Lotus not to mention the GT field.

Back to the LMS, it began with the notion of bringing back classic events but they are only classic's if you have the top cars in the world competing. Furthermore the director/organisor of the ILMC stated the LMS could not afford some of the more prestigous circuits resulting in the calander changing often. The financial clout the ILMC has enabled the series to return to Italy, deals were sorted for Sebring and PLM and I would guess events in Germany and South America are around the corner.

You often hear about the cost of globetrotting and I don't deny it's an issue but travel is becoming easier, worldwide communication is instant and with global manufactuers and sponsors they need global reach. If you don't rely on those factors you can get along fine but the series will resemble the LMS leaving those of us who missed out on the height of Group C to dream of the days factory squads battled it out around the world.

Last edited by JAG; 12 Mar 2011 at 18:45.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2844641)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I think they need to finish pulling the bodies out before they think about racing cars - your comment is a bit insensitive at this early stage of such an disaster.
It wasnt ment to be ..... read what Ive written in the Japanese GT thread , although I now see your point .

Appologies if it sounded a bit crass . I feel very deeply about what is going down in Japan ..... and hope the worst is over .
Old 12 Mar 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2844713)   #14
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Actually, I think it'll be the other way around... many teams will choose to run in the high profile ILMC-rounds, but LMS will be short of quality entries not just for a few but for all their races...
Is the correct answer I believe - Think you may find it's the LMS that adds classes!!!
Old 13 Mar 2011, 00:35 (Ref:2844768)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
So something like a second Spa race after LM counting only for the LMS... Who would enter that???
That is the question. What European races would get the ILMC other than the 24 Hours? Spa and Silverstone are a must.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2844980)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
Spa, Silverstone, Imola/Monza, Nurburgring/Hockenheim would be my choices.

Oversea Sebring, PLM, China, Brazil/Argentina.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2856402)   #17
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From this autosport article, Both Zhuhai and Shangai will be on 2012 ILMC schedule.

Looks like the manufacturers are getting more and more hungry with chinese market...
Old 31 Mar 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2856413)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
Hopefully as well as helping manufacturers sell cars we'll see more Chinese money coming into the sport as two rounds is a big show of faith.

In other news I was suprised the Ferrari LMP rumour came up on RLM's LMS preview show with hints such a program could be announced shortly. No more details but it sounds customer oriented and with AF Corsas P2 plans (under their own name) the two could be connected.

Whether it's a chassis, engine or both they'd be a welcome addition.

Last edited by JAG; 31 Mar 2011 at 16:20.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2856485)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I hope that this means that if one of the tracks drops the race, then the other keeps it. Actually, scratch the "if". An endurance world championship shouldn't have two races in the same country. (Actually, I'm fine with Sebring and Atlanta, even if they are quite close.)
Old 31 Mar 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2856495)   #20
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
From this autosport article, Both Zhuhai and Shangai will be on 2012 ILMC schedule.

Looks like the manufacturers are getting more and more hungry with chinese market...
Hopefully the manufacturers will demand a comprehensive global TV strategy as well. I believe the ILMC will be hugely successful, I just hope we (fans) will be able to see it all as we do F1 and FIA GT1 world championships. Sadly this new golden age of sportscars will be at the expense of the quality (maybe even survival) of the ALMS/LMS.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2856573)   #21
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I hope that this means that if one of the tracks drops the race, then the other keeps it. Actually, scratch the "if". An endurance world championship shouldn't have two races in the same country. (Actually, I'm fine with Sebring and Atlanta, even if they are quite close.)
It could be argued that the only reason why the ILMC exists is because of China. Anyway, I wonder if these two planned Chinese races will occur in close proximity to each other. I wonder if that combined with the desire for South American races could mean that Sebring and/or Road America (more likely) could get axed from the ILMC in 2012? It looked like Petit was a close call for this year.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 08:13 (Ref:2856681)   #22
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If ACO are going to make a real World Cup then they need more races in Asia and less in Europe. So it'll be better for LMS if ACO keep geographic balance for Cup. There're still many GT2 teams, and more suitable LMP2 rules can bring more teams in that category for LMS.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2856846)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
It could be argued that the only reason why the ILMC exists is because of China. Anyway, I wonder if these two planned Chinese races will occur in close proximity to each other. I wonder if that combined with the desire for South American races could mean that Sebring and/or Road America (more likely) could get axed from the ILMC in 2012? It looked like Petit was a close call for this year.
Wasn't that down to TV complications, Sebring wasn't affected because it was early season and compromises were made to keep it on the calendar.

That maybe the root of the confused Sebring coverage in Europe.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2856856)   #24
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might be right about that. By TV complications, do you mean who has control of the TV rights for the ILMC/ALMS races? Now that you mention it, I think I heard that being a factor a few months ago. Maybe I am just imagining that though. Unfortunately, all that means is that maybe both Sebring and Petit may be in peril next year if a deal isn't struck.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2856861)   #25
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Wasn't that down to TV complications, Sebring wasn't affected because it was early season and compromises were made to keep it on the calendar.

That was the explanation given