Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Jun 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2894876)   #1
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delta Wing Discussion ONLY

Roughly 13 months ago I suggested the ideas behind the Delta Wing come to sportscars

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=24

Now my wildest dream will come true

http://www.motorward.com/2011/06/del...-2012-le-mans/

This car will win top speed on the Mulsanne at just 325 HP

What do you think?

Last edited by Bentley03; 5 May 2012 at 10:03.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 05:28 (Ref:2894889)   #2
the real Stig
Rookie

the real Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car has rear wheel steering
Try driving backwards at speed and see how well that works.
Thrust SSC had rear wheel steering, but it didn't have to make the Arnarge corner.

Front of car
Has no room for front tunnel/ground effect generator.
Has no room for front suspension.

Rear of car
Very little package for tunnel(s).
Steering and power delivery to rear tires.

Power/engine
Can M-mike run a CoD study for 300hp and typical lemans speeds pls?
where are the cooling ducts? Radiators? Air intake?
Take a 300hp caterham and see if it can break 5minutes at lemans.

We'll not be seeing a car resembeling a lawn dart this time next year, I wager.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 06:01 (Ref:2894892)   #3
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the real Stig View Post
Car has rear wheel steering
Try driving backwards at speed and see how well that works.
Thrust SSC had rear wheel steering, but it didn't have to make the Arnarge corner.

Front of car
Has no room for front tunnel/ground effect generator.
Has no room for front suspension.

Rear of car
Very little package for tunnel(s).
Steering and power delivery to rear tires.

Power/engine

You'll find the Deltawing does have front steering. I remember reading an article about how they had to be clever with the geometry to get enough lock (remember this was originally ment to be an indycar, for both oval and road course). Indeed, look at the video http://deltawingracing.com/2010/02/simulation-videos-2/

However, I do agree about the front aero... will they generate enough downforce with the underbody tunnels (again look at the rear view of the indycar proposal... big tunnels!) to negate the need for front wing?

Last edited by Try Hard; 10 Jun 2011 at 06:19.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2894911)   #4
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see a bigger problem: look at the width of those front wheels... combined they are about 1/3rd of the width of the frontwheels of other prototype cars! And less width=smaller contact patch with tarmac=less grip. No way they can steer this car through the various chicanes in anger. And I doubt as to wether the increased downforce the body of the car generates can make up for this.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 07:10 (Ref:2894912)   #5
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want to see how many rear corners are removed by clipping inside walls.. with the front being so much narrower than the rear I expect the drivers to misjudge where the back end is....
Old 10 Jun 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2895032)   #6
protopuma
Racer

protopuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the real Stig View Post
Power/engine

DeltaWing on there website state a Cd of 0.24. For what it is worth wiki has a .7 Cd for Caterham. Also based on Mikes work current closed top LMP1s have a Cd of some were in the low to mid 0.4s for Le Mans.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2895073)   #7
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they run the engine at Le Mans they were planning to in Indycars they'll run out of horsepower on the Mulsanne I'd reckon.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2895093)   #8
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think safety could be an issue. If a Delta wing center-punched a car like the #1 R18 did on Wednesday it could end up with some very unfortunate results.

It's also pretty unattractive, and you can't discount looks and mass appeal of any car. I a pretty positive, glass is half-full person when it comes to motor racing, but this thing is just....wrong.

Rather than trying to re-invent the proverbial wheel, why not re-legalize ground effect tunnels for Prototypes, and limit the more drag-inducing external aero elements? You get better efficiency, better looks, and don't have to worry about all the stuff like fitting in a pit lane designed for normal cars, garages designed for normal cars, safety for other competitors, marshals, etc.

Someone else mentioned this on the Midweek Motorsport forum, but the fact that the Mulsanne is fairly rutted, and the two rear wheels will be riding in the ruts and the front wheels on the crest of the road will promote a very unstable condition.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:20 (Ref:2895096)   #9
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh yes, I'm sure the designers at Delta Wing have completely forgotten that Le Mans has corners, back to the drawing board for them I guess

Seriously guys, come on, why would they design a car that they think can't turn a sharp bend?
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:22 (Ref:2895097)   #10
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Some early prototype testing in Britain..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSaIv_5-Mho
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2895103)   #11
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
My question is why? What does this achieve?

My contempt is the money being spent by various groups of Americans, including the ALMS principle, when the money could be spent on a REAL entry, that could run LM and support the ALMS.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2895106)   #12
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
My contempt is the money being spent by various groups of Americans, including the ALMS principle, when the money could be spent on a REAL entry, that could run LM and support the ALMS.
Are you sure that Don is paying something for this and not getting paid?

As for the Sausagemobile, well, it's an interesting concept. Low weight, low drag, low horsepower. Ok, that's about all the positive things I have to say about this thing. The 56th car "reserves" are a lot more interesting technologically (although they perhaps may not be as fast) and I'm sure they will look a lot better. I don't usually wish failure upon racing teams, but let's hope this thing never hits the track. It's hideous and I also wonder about the safety of this thing.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2895108)   #13
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
I wonder who in the motorsport community will be the first to mention that the emperor is wearing no clothes? I can't imagine the paddock is full of enthusiasm for this thing.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:42 (Ref:2895110)   #14
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tell you what I'm fed up with in motorsport, is leaders of bizarre projects such as these who tell us what they think the fans want.

The Delta Wing crew clearly have no idea what we're after.

I want racing cars that look like racing cars and sound like racing cars. They could run on nail clippings for all I care - so long as the sound is there. That's what most of us want.

This looks like something which might go for the land speed record, not victory at Le Mans. It's ridiculous.

Endurance racing will lose a lot of its true fans very quickly if cars begin to look like this.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2895115)   #15
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What the hell is this project about. In my opinion this car has no place at LM! And shouldn't the prototypes look rectangular from above and with the front wheels being in the same place as the rear wheels?... Thought that was one of the design rules for LMP?...
No this just look like one of those kiddy racers which should be left as miniatures to play with...
This car doesn't fit in sportscar racing in my eyes.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2895117)   #16
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Tell you what I'm fed up with in motorsport, is leaders of bizarre projects such as these who tell us what they think the fans want.

I want racing cars that look like racing cars and sound like racing cars. They could run on nail clippings for all I care - so long as the sound is there. That's what most of us want.

This looks like something which might go for the land speed record, not victory at Le Mans. It's ridiculous.

Endurance racing will lose a lot of its true fans very quickly if cars begin to look like this.
Some say that racing can make alternative technologies "cool." Well, few people in or out of racing are going to think this thing is cool. This design was considered too ugly for the IRL. Think about that for a second. Too ugly for the IRL!

I'm not a complete stickler for aesthetic racing cars. I'm ok with some unattractive elements of cars if they are there to improve performance. That is the name of the game after all. This thing, however, is the answer to a question that nobody asked.

EDIT: Remember, this thing very well may take the spot of a potential class winning GTE car or a decent LMP. Ugh.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2895118)   #17
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

Indeed, they should look! and sound! like sportcars or sportcar prototype as the LMP now! not some child fetish racing where you make the sounds yourself with futuristic designs..
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2895121)   #18
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Yes, the first thing I thought when I saw the Delta Wing was "That looks like something an 8 year old would draw on his notebook when bored in history class!"
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2895142)   #19
the real Stig
Rookie

the real Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try Hard View Post
You'll find the Deltawing does have front steering. I remember reading an article about how they had to be clever with the geometry to get enough lock (remember this was originally ment to be an indycar, for both oval and road course). Indeed, look at the video http://deltawingracing.com/2010/02/simulation-videos-2/
originally delta wing only had 3 wheels the from being a single non-steering fat tire, this was then changed to twin front tires to gain more credibility. It's was originally designed as rear steering which is one of the reasons why one of the engine designers in the league distanced it's self from the project. (I'm very close to Indy car racing & lemans design and this is what I know).

So may be to gain more credibility they've switched to front steer, only I'm guessing if they have they've not figured out how to do it yet. The under model has no cut outs for steering movement and even if it did I can't imagine how you package a pair of wishbones, springs, dampers and a rack is such a narrow package. I can't see the packaging it especially considering the lock required to negotiate chicanes and Arnarge.

The closest thing to delta wing I can think of is the Honda F1 land speed car.
Really light, no wings but big power.

I'm thinking this project is like Delorian, tax payers beware. (government funding for green energy research)
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2895152)   #20
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
EDIT: Remember, this thing very well may take the spot of a potential class winning GTE car or a decent LMP. Ugh.
There's 4-5 "decent" LMP cars and about 6-7 GT cars on this year's list out of 55, so I don't think you really need to worry.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2895156)   #21
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thing looks like a sidecar attached to an F1 rear !

Spaceballs, here we come
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2895160)   #22
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's most laughable is the, "That monstrosity doesn't belong in my Le Mans!" posts. Maybe you could turn to spec racing to keep the ugly little things out, then. Le Mans is perfect for the Delta Wing. I find it hilarious some of you are so scared by this little thing. I could understand it from the open wheel crowd, where the cars and the technology hasn't been revolutionized as much as evolved. But from the sportscar crowd? With the open rules and vast diversity of cars in the field? Good god. You'll still get your throaty V8's and your singing V10's. FFS, if you don't like it, just ignore it.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2895161)   #23
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
There's 4-5 "decent" LMP cars and about 6-7 GT cars on this year's list out of 55, so I don't think you really need to worry.
I don't know about that. There are many contenders for the LMP2 win. A reduction in entries could have left one of those contenders off. I think more than 6 or 7 cars have a shot at the GTE-Pro win much less the GTE-Am win. Last year the Lieb/Lietz Porsche started off on the reserve list as well as the Fisi AF Corse 430. It would have been a real shame not to have those cars, but fortunately those entries got in because some GT1s did not make it.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2895162)   #24
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm confused as to how close you could be when reading multiple links with interviews with the designers no mention was ever made of it having been a 3 wheeler at any point. In fact they mentioned a couple time that the tight front dimensions made packaging the front suspension was a no-brainer return to dual wishbones with spring and dampers between them. And since the suspension is internal, the components could be built purely for maximum strength without aero needs to compromise design; they referred to both thin-walled round tubing or milled aluminum I-beam designs. It sounds like they have made rolling chassis and have tested the car in a rolling road wind tunnel with Firestone who have developed new fronts (4" wide custom molded) and re-purposed rears (Indy Lights front tires). At the very least Firestone has load tested the tires they developed for the car so far and are comfortable with putting the tires on a track safely.

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie..._is_no238.html was posted earlier this year in response to Indy, not sportscars but think the information still applies. And no I'm not a fan of the design, and not sure it would work for multi-class racing and almost positive it will take some adjustment for drivers to remember the rear width.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2895167)   #25
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I don't know about that. There are many contenders for the LMP2 win. A reduction in entries could have left one of those contenders off. I think more than 6 or 7 cars have a shot at the GTE-Pro win much less the GTE-Am win. Last year the Lieb/Lietz Porsche started off on the reserve list as well as the Fisi AF Corse 430. It would have been a real shame not to have those cars, but fortunately those entries got in because some GT1s did not make it.
No one cares about LMP2. No one.