Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 May 2015, 08:45 (Ref:3534249)   #801
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is Vignette, some sort of continental salad I suspect, born and brought up in the truck industry, ran a fleet into Europe, I must be so far out of date please excuse my ignorance .
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 5 May 2015, 10:47 (Ref:3534285)   #802
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
What is Vignette, some sort of continental salad I suspect, born and brought up in the truck industry, ran a fleet into Europe, I must be so far out of date please excuse my ignorance .
Eric, 'eurovignette' is name given to a road toll system for over 12 tonne trucks that is currently based on timescale rather than mileage etc. Operates in Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands and Luxembourg. If you read back a page or two you will see a post from Colin suggesting that the Belgians want to replace it with another spy in cab device! The current toll can be paid online, through agent, or at service areas near Belgium border. A week for my rig is €33.

Old 5 May 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3534370)   #803
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Im off to Oschasleben in the morning. Never been there so looking forward to a new adventure.
Old 5 May 2015, 15:57 (Ref:3534376)   #804
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beer run?
Old 5 May 2015, 19:02 (Ref:3534439)   #805
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Eric, 'eurovignette' is name given to a road toll system for over 12 tonne trucks that is currently based on timescale rather than mileage etc. Operates in Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands and Luxembourg. If you read back a page or two you will see a post from Colin suggesting that the Belgians want to replace it with another spy in cab device! The current toll can be paid online, through agent, or at service areas near Belgium border. A week for my rig is €33.

I am definitely out of touch, mind you I packed up all involvement with transport,including shipping way back in 1979/80 so not surprised I didn't know anything about it but it sounds a bloody good deal to me.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 5 May 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3534442)   #806
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Im off to Oschasleben in the morning. Never been there so looking forward to a new adventure.
A very long journey and didn't use to be well signposted at the end. Great circuit but spoilt by the modifications carried out just after the start to satisfy the DTM. Very friendly locals and sometimes a meeting of the local Eastern European Car Club just outside the circuit which turns up some very interesting cars.

Pete Richards
Old 5 May 2015, 21:43 (Ref:3534513)   #807
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post
A very long journey and didn't use to be well signposted at the end. Great circuit but spoilt by the modifications carried out just after the start to satisfy the DTM. Very friendly locals and sometimes a meeting of the local Eastern European Car Club just outside the circuit which turns up some very interesting cars.

Pete Richards
Ah so al last someone fron U K has been there .
Old 6 May 2015, 06:05 (Ref:3534606)   #808
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I am definitely out of touch, mind you I packed up all involvement with transport,including shipping way back in 1979/80 so not surprised I didn't know anything about it but it sounds a bloody good deal to me.
Probably why they want to change system- too good a deal, and surely ignored by a lot of trucks! If they had gantries with NPR cameras that recognised numbers from all Europe then maybe it would be different.

BTW, I was told that Dartford Xing is losing loads of toll income because NPR is unable to recognise a lot of euro numbers? If true that means we are subsidising the rest of the EU again.....

Old 6 May 2015, 08:26 (Ref:3534651)   #809
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ah so al last someone fron U K has been there .
Several times. First time we raced at night! Great atmosphere, seem to recollect enjoying several bottles of Spitfire after the race with my German competitors until the early hours of the morning. No lie in unfortunately as the Sunday trackday for bikes started at 08.00 - unsilenced.

Pete Richards
Old 6 May 2015, 09:45 (Ref:3534668)   #810
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Probably why they want to change system- too good a deal, and surely ignored by a lot of trucks! If they had gantries with NPR cameras that recognised numbers from all Europe then maybe it would be different.

BTW, I was told that Dartford Xing is losing loads of toll income because NPR is unable to recognise a lot of euro numbers? If true that means we are subsidising the rest of the EU again.....

They're just starting with ANPR systems in Belgium...
So far it tends to be in towns but should cover motorways next year.

A lot of EU countries exchange number plate data hence fines get charged to foreigners.

UK won't exchange data hence they don't get to charge foreigners for tolls or speeding tickets etc.
Likewise UK vehicles don't get foreign fines in the post (but a lot of spot fines).

Chances are that the reason is more to do with an inadequate payment system rather than carefully protecting their data - in the same way as the NHS isn't geared up to charging national insurance schemes (which other countries manage quite successfully).

But given the UKs ability to spend fortunes on computer systems it would probably take a long time for them to recuperate the system's cost let alone any lost taxation.
Old 6 May 2015, 15:57 (Ref:3534783)   #811
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
That was exciting first time in about 30 years I have been on ferry and we needed tug boat to tow us out to sea . S
Old 6 May 2015, 16:02 (Ref:3534788)   #812
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Need some advice, have been offered a Mini Cooper S ,how can I verifie it is genuine,all numbers seem to match and engine seems correct, just seems to good to be true, set alarm bells ringing. Is there somewhere like Jaguar heritage I could check it out.
Old 6 May 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3534789)   #813
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
That was exciting first time in about 30 years I have been on ferry and we needed tug boat to tow us out to sea . S
Lucky ferries are running with the wind strength! Hope you've taken your Kwells....
Old 6 May 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3534791)   #814
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Need some advice, have been offered a Mini Cooper S ,how can I verifie it is genuine,all numbers seem to match and engine seems correct, just seems to good to be true, set alarm bells ringing. Is there somewhere like Jaguar heritage I could check it out.
Thought all BMC car records were in British Leyland Motor Heritage archive? They had info on a Mk1 Cooper S I owned several years ago.

Old 6 May 2015, 16:13 (Ref:3534795)   #815
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It sounds dodgy to me but tell your neighbour with the million pound house I'll take it off his hands.
Old 6 May 2015, 19:38 (Ref:3534881)   #816
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Come then how much is it . Uncle Eric
Old 6 May 2015, 20:03 (Ref:3534890)   #817
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
He hasn't said he wants to sell it yet, just wanting to be ready .
Old 7 May 2015, 07:14 (Ref:3535054)   #818
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just stopped somewhere in Germany last sign I saw was for wankum!!!! Anyway still feel bit rough after crossing and then I get one of those revolving oval loo seats going round . WTF
Old 7 May 2015, 10:52 (Ref:3535101)   #819
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
It was all going so well 100 mikes to go and crash on motorway . Been sat here for over an hour . What's the news on election is it a good turn out so far .
Old 7 May 2015, 11:02 (Ref:3535102)   #820
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
Could be worst and be a Friday when everything comes to a stop due to the volume of traffic resulting from everyone going home to the east and Poland. First time we went we crawled for hours - Not very exciting scenery.

Pete Richards
Old 7 May 2015, 11:44 (Ref:3535119)   #821
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
It was all going so well 100 mikes to go and crash on motorway . Been sat here for over an hour . What's the news on election is it a good turn out so far .

As long as you're not part of the crash....

When that happened to me driving through Germany, some **** ran into the back of me just after I stopped!
Old 7 May 2015, 11:48 (Ref:3535122)   #822
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
As long as you're not part of the crash....

When that happened to me driving through Germany, some **** ran into the back of me just after I stopped!
No mike just bored bored bored
Old 7 May 2015, 11:54 (Ref:3535124)   #823
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
No mike just bored bored bored
I can imagine- presume you are not on tacho this trip?

I didn't get bored, as luck would have it there was a service station couple of hundred metres along. I made the miscreant follow me down the hard shoulder into it, where spent the next hour getting his insurance details and taking photos! By time we had finished traffic was moving again.....

Old 7 May 2015, 15:26 (Ref:3535183)   #824
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Stick it on a break, you should be able to get anywhere in Germany within the next four and half hours once it's moving.
As for the election, so far we've only seen the Tory candidates round here, and that's been nearly every day for the past two weeks but at least they are trying to gain our support which is more than any of the others have done.
Old 7 May 2015, 15:41 (Ref:3535184)   #825
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Iain, presume you've voted by post, then!