Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Apr 2015, 15:52 (Ref:3532240)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Looks like 1 or 2 Sierras are also now missing from the provisional list that the HSCC released last week?

I wonder if they have produce an updated full meeting entry list yet, as there's bound to have been some withdrawals ad additions?
I know withdrawals are always possible especially with these delicate, pricey cars, however 10 cars missing is rather a lot. Lets hope its a typo or that things aren't as they seem.
Old 1 May 2015, 07:42 (Ref:3532435)   #27
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Garages are being used by 4 different series. The supertouring garage list is just those in garages, the rest will be in the paddock
Old 1 May 2015, 07:54 (Ref:3532441)   #28
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Garages are being used by 4 different series. The supertouring garage list is just those in garages, the rest will be in the paddock
Well that's good news. Also good to see a few Alfas, as I'm a massive Alfa fan and never got to see Alfa Romeo in super touring form (living in the UK), only in S2000 when I attended the ETCC at Donington some 10 years ago.

I am kinda surprised at the lack of BMW 320's given their relative availability. Sad to see only 1 Nissan too, any ideas if the ex-Dodd and ex-Butcher Primeras will be making an appearance at all in later rounds?
Old 1 May 2015, 17:22 (Ref:3532645)   #29
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Don't know what's happening with Dodd's Primera. Their second Honda had been up for sale over the winter but now looks like Graeme Dodd will be driving that. I assume he'll switch back to the Primera if/when the Honda is sold.

Keith Butcher still has his Primera. He originally hadn't intended to use the Audi but being an earlier car means it's in a different class and therefore gives him more chance of picking up a cup. He hasn't driven the Audi much, and not at all with the earlier 95-spec engine, so it may be a case of seeing how he gets on with it and either sticking with the Audi or going back to the Primera.

Don't know why we aren't seeing more BMW 320s. On the BMW front, all the E30 M3s will be running in 2.5l Group A spec, including those ex-2.0l BTCC cars. The drivers took a unilateral decision to save the engines and put them all in the same class.
Old 3 May 2015, 09:44 (Ref:3533529)   #30
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
20 cars took part in Super Tourers qually.
Old 3 May 2015, 10:16 (Ref:3533551)   #31
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do hope the commentary on MST timing isn't being broadcast on the Donington PA as it's embarassing.
Old 4 May 2015, 08:33 (Ref:3533899)   #32
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Am here and wind is freezing.

Bacon sandwich not as good as Snett but a few decent cars in Pre War race.

Nash to win easily!
Old 4 May 2015, 09:43 (Ref:3533916)   #33
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
I do hope the commentary on MST timing isn't being broadcast on the Donington PA as it's embarassing.
Erm...{silence}..Erm....Yes.
Old 4 May 2015, 10:07 (Ref:3533925)   #34
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Alvis surprised everyone including driver Rudi and is on pole
Old 4 May 2015, 19:32 (Ref:3534087)   #35
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just back home from Donington (went today only). Understandably the paddock was a bit thin because so many had gone home from the Sat/Sun races. Enjoyed the Pre War race in particular. Will post a few photos when I get time.
Old 4 May 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3534093)   #36
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

So the Nash won!

Patch and Fred good blokes with their recently rebuilt car third with help of Andrew.

Well done gang

Suppose we have to go to Sillystone to see what happens.
Old 4 May 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3534105)   #37
brands
Veteran

Enjoyed today, decents grids and some good racing.
Crowd seemed small by recent years and the car clubs very thin.
My once a season visit to Donington done, still looks a tip six years on.
Old 5 May 2015, 06:12 (Ref:3534213)   #38
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We went yesterday too.
Warmed up a bit as the day went on and so did the track action.
E type race was great as were the others.

Atmosphere was a bit thin like same day last year and went home at bit early as the best race was far too late in the proceedings, early saloons.

Got out of the infield like a gravel rally car in first on rough gravel roads.
About time now thing were better than this?

But!

The cost of coffee etc was mad, only matched by Silverstone classic.

As ever, we will go back next year....
Old 5 May 2015, 06:28 (Ref:3534223)   #39
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Two comments there that are interesting- first, the coffee price. I bought a couple of cups of very ordinary brew when there earlier this season and was taking back by the cost. I could buy a vente (huge) cup of some exotic Costa / Starbucks / whatever drink for less! Captive audience, I guess....

And the 'E type' race- I thought the Jaguar Heritage Challenge was supposed to be more than just E Types, but looking at results not a very good variety of heritage....

Old 5 May 2015, 07:04 (Ref:3534227)   #40
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Still looks a tip." "Expensive coffee". " Thin crowds". "Best race late in the day". Linked?

Combe seemed to have a reasonable crowd again. Coffee is pretty mediocre but not stratospherically expensive. Lots of good races throughout the day. Easy parking. Tidy environment. Linked?

It's not rocket science. Give people good value for a great day out and the crowds will flock to the meeting. That doesn't mean " cheap" it means "bang for your buck". Silverstone Classic can in no way be thought cheap but nearly 100,000 people think it's good value.
Old 5 May 2015, 07:54 (Ref:3534236)   #41
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Two comments there that are interesting- first, the coffee price. I bought a couple of cups of very ordinary brew when there earlier this season and was taking back by the cost. I could buy a vente (huge) cup of some exotic Costa / Starbucks / whatever drink for less! Captive audience, I guess....

And the 'E type' race- I thought the Jaguar Heritage Challenge was supposed to be more than just E Types, but looking at results not a very good variety of heritage....

True about the Jag Heritage race but then there are a lot of E-Types around since the anniversary year and people presumably keen to take them out to play.

As for the coffee - prices a ludicrous, IMO, everywhere. At Donington not so bad if you are a paid up member of the Donington Park Racing Association Club.

I now have a couple of 1ltr Thermos flasks - used for Soup on Sat and Sun but perfect for normal drinks use at other times. each was the price of about 3 coffees - highstreet or track that's a fair cost comparison.
Old 5 May 2015, 08:16 (Ref:3534243)   #42
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sunday looked like the busiest day from what I saw.

The infield is progressing and beginning to look green in most parts. The road from the main gate has new smooth tarmac between the end of the museum buildings up towards the track, past the Exhibition Centre and all the way down to the Paddock entrance. (The route reserved for the car clubs going to the displays.)

They also removed the nasty (but probably necessary) speed humps for this meeting.

And the gate (but not the tunnel) at Coppice was open too as I discovered yesterday.

The Paddock water connection facilities were updated over the winter as well. Electric too as I recall.

Still a work in progress but slowly looking better.
Old 5 May 2015, 09:37 (Ref:3534264)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Sunday looked like the busiest day from what I saw.

The infield is progressing and beginning to look green in most parts. The road from the main gate has new smooth tarmac between the end of the museum buildings up towards the track, past the Exhibition Centre and all the way down to the Paddock entrance. (The route reserved for the car clubs going to the displays.)

They also removed the nasty (but probably necessary) speed humps for this meeting.

And the gate (but not the tunnel) at Coppice was open too as I discovered yesterday.

The Paddock water connection facilities were updated over the winter as well. Electric too as I recall.

Still a work in progress but slowly looking better.
Yes Sunday was very well attended both in the Paddock and trackside I thought?

Fantastic to wander around and see the Paddock chock full of cars, transporters, enthusiasts. Really good atmosphere and is so much like it was for me as a boy in the 80's when you could get around easily and up and down the back of the pits (even upto sub F1 international level in those days!)

If one image encapsulates the range of eras catered for at this meeting it is when I was stood with my group by the scrutineering bay on Sunday afty when the sun came out. Lined up were a Lagonda, Capri, E-Type and Bentley blower!! It was a joy.

The super tourers were great to see and put the current BTCC to shame in every way (as do any other era of BTCC!) the HRDC '58-'66 entry was also great value (which included a couple of 'Goodwood specials'!!), a huge grid of cars and they were great to watch in the morning wet practice sliding about out of Redgate.

If they this was the only sort of race meeting you could go to, I could happily put up with meetings like this all year long!
Old 5 May 2015, 10:32 (Ref:3534281)   #44
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

A few pics will follow. Here's a starter from Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
600px70pct_Donington_HistFest_2015_IMG_5557 1.jpg  
Old 5 May 2015, 11:47 (Ref:3534303)   #45
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A few pics will follow. Here's a starter from Monday.
Please post the Ecosse, BMC transporters as well as the cars (and the cute little ice cream van too if you have it!)
Old 5 May 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3534310)   #46
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a few more
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0024.JPG   DSC_0043.JPG   DSC_0076.JPG  

DSC_0058.JPG  
Old 5 May 2015, 12:15 (Ref:3534311)   #47
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Went with my Dad on Sunday, in an effort to recapure some of the early years of the Silverstone Classic before they tried to use it as some way of recouping their MotoGP and F1 race host fees and charging the earth for entry.

Was a small crowd, no doubt put off by the awful weather early on, but I have to say I did not get wet at all, was very lucky.

Haven't been to Donington since Gillett almost ruined it (where is that berk by the way, surely he should be held to ransom?) and was fine with it, some of it is clearly WIP, I do not at all like the fact you cannot get to McLeans these days unless you walk the entire length of the track! We managed it but only after negotiating with the museum car park waller.

And again, the security guys controlling the chicane area were a little OTT and shouty, totally unnecessary, and I gave one my four penneth when he gobbed off at me as I went near a car doing at least 1mph!!

Racing wise a bit hit and miss, far too many "must give big entry fee drivers value" long races. they are a bit dull when there are not many places to sit. But plus point there, seats were free.

Programme was dear, but beautifully put together, best one I think I have ever had, but maybe a fiver is the limit. Food was decently priced, for a biggish meeting, far cheaper than Silverstone.

Racing was good, F2 race was magnificent, the early TC race was good too. Got a bit bored with the Super tourer race and left then, but a solid 8 hours!

Would definitely go back, and for me historic racing needs to think about fans a bit too, long races are dull to watch, a lot of stuff is in and out the paddock each day so you think you might see one thing and you find out later it is racing tomorrow.

For me there should be maybe 10 or so races, qually and praccy each day, same 10 races each day.
Old 5 May 2015, 12:23 (Ref:3534313)   #48
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Please post the Ecosse, BMC transporters as well as the cars (and the cute little ice cream van too if you have it!)
Looks like others may have those.

I had a fairly "photo-lite" weekend. Up to the point where I got the serious kit out to see if I could snap a pair of birds of prey perched on a fence pole at Coppice. They disappeared as I prepared stuff so I was left with cars as the only subject worth snapping - not too many members of the public out there on Monday. In fact I think most of the time there were more people with Media tabards!
Old 5 May 2015, 12:36 (Ref:3534315)   #49
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.......In fact I think most of the time there were more people with Media tabards!
Don't get me started Grant! Noticed that myself. Must be a lot of magazines out there waiting to be published.
Old 5 May 2015, 13:18 (Ref:3534327)   #50
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Couple of batches from the 'Mad Jack' race for pre-War Sportscars. First two photos are in qualifying, rest from the race. First batch:-
Attached Thumbnails
XT013241.jpg   XT013246.jpg   GJC_4816.jpg  

GJC_4818.jpg   GJC_4847.jpg   GJC_4850.jpg