Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Jan 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2364035)   #1
captainbradders
Rookie

captainbradders should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forms, Registration Card, and Volunteering. Please help!

Hello Chaps (and chapesses),

Firstly, happy new year to you all!

Right, this marshalling lark. I'm not sure if it's me being simple, but I am overwhelmed with the struggle to join your ranks.

I've joined the The British Motorsport Marshals Club. I believe this is a good thing, and a step in the right direction. I've downloaded the all the required forms on their website, completed them, paidup. All cushty.

Except, when I receive my welcome letter and Record Cards, one bit is missing: the Registration Card. Now, I've been sent another MSA National Marshals Registration form. I believe that I should send this to my the club at which I wish to marshal for them to complete Section 3, correct? I want to marshal at Brands, so is there a specific person and address that this should go to?

Along with this, I've also received an event calender from MSVR asking me which events I wish to register for, along with some Green Slips. Do I sent the calender AND the Green Slips back?

Then, do I get the Registration Card and Number?

I'm a little disappointed with this being so unclear, and such a struggle. I certainly don't mind the paperwork, but it's the process that's confusing.

I'm hoping that one of you old hands (please, take that in the way it was intended ) will be able to help explain what I need to do in order to get in your way each weekend

Thanks in advance,

Adam
Old 2 Jan 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2364061)   #2
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly welcome Ten Tenths & the orange world.

Don't panic & don't despair, it will all become as clear as mud in a few months......hopefully.

If you tell us where you live then we'll be abke to work out which region of the BMMC you're in. Then we can direct you to the recruitment officer or the new members liason officer & these experts will be able to talk you through all the processes you need to get your PRC (registration card) & how to volunteer etc etc. I'll admit it does look very very complicated & daunting at first but it does get a lot easier. You've done the hard work already by crossing to mad orange world.
Enjoy yourself & hope to see you around the circuits soon.
Just ask if you do have anymore questions. There are some extremely wise heads on here & some old ones too.....
Col
Old 2 Jan 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2364069)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
You need to enter the BMMC as your primary club to begin with. MSV forms you fill in the meetings you wish to attend and send that part back to Mildred mildred@brscc.co.uk as I can't remember her other e-mail address doh! The green slips you send back to the BMMC as they are your additional insurance cover at the race meetings you have volunteered for.

Mildred will almost certainly welcome you and ask you to fill in a form for her which she keeps as she is the marshals secretary for several clubs that operate at Brands Hatch. Any other queries please don't hesitate to e-mail me s.c.green@btinternet.com and I will be glad to assist.

Welcome to ten-tenths
Old 2 Jan 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2364070)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
<deep breath in>
<and exhale>
Hi Adam, sounds like you're thoroughly confused..
some bright spark will explain it all in a minute, but the basic problem seems to be information overload.

dohh!, they were faster..

So
1 - Registratation card - somebody younger/smarter than me can explain that. Ok, so not a young un.

2 - MSVR calender & green slips. 2 halves of the same story.
Volunteering can be done direct with the club and then the green slip returned to BMMC "for insurance only". You do not need to duplicate the request to marshal.

3 - anything confusing regarding marshalling at Brands, get in touch with Mildred Wiltshire - marshals' organiser for most things at Brands. Training day at Brands is usually mid Feb, attending that should help too.

and welcome to tenths too

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 2 Jan 2009 at 13:43.
Old 2 Jan 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2364133)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
The BMMC/MSA stuff & the MSVR stuff are two different entities, for want of a better word.

To get the Registration Card you need to fill in your details on the registration form & return it to BMMC; they will forward it to the MSA, who will send you a Registration Card (commonly called a licence) which will have your MSA number on it. The Registration Card & the Personal Record Card should be kept together.

The MSVR form is used to volunteer for their meetings - depending which circuit you're marshalling at you'll probably need to get volunteering forms from every club you want to marshal for, although at some circuits, e.g. Oulton & Anglesey, you can do everything on one form...or you can use:

http://www.marshals.org.uk/

Your first priority should be to get yourself down for a training day. You can find out about & apply for these, along with other useful stuff, at:

http://www.volunteersinmotorsport.co.uk/

If you haven't already got them, it would also be worth downloading the Pocket Guide to Marshalling & grading manual from the BMMC website.
Old 2 Jan 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2364174)   #6
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam,
i won`t add to what everyone else has told you,otherwise your head will explode in to little pieces.
Just to add that even tho you got race dates from msv,you can marshal at any other meetings you want to.
for example,you got brscc,750mc and BARC do a lot of meeting around the country.
and what ever circuit you want to.
If you go to BARC.net you can find the calendar under there.

In the mean time,if you do feel your head is going to explode.....
sit down
eat a pork pie
take a deep breathe
then either laff or cry.
If you survive this test,
you got the qualities

Have fun & enjoy you time on the bank

Gary
Old 3 Jan 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2364368)   #7
Darren Holmes
Racer

England
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Darren Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Green Slips" - never seen one, been marshaling since August 2007 and a member of BMMC since day one, but nobody has ever mentioned green slips before.

I volunteer in a variety of ways, through the BRSCCNW form (Oulton), BARC Website (BTCC), direct to the club (750) - never sent a green slip to anyone - am I not insured through BMMC then?
Old 3 Jan 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2364440)   #8
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Holmes
"Green Slips" - never seen one, been marshaling since August 2007 and a member of BMMC since day one, but nobody has ever mentioned green slips before.

I volunteer in a variety of ways, through the BRSCCNW form (Oulton), BARC Website (BTCC), direct to the club (750) - never sent a green slip to anyone - am I not insured through BMMC then?
"Green slip" is the old terminology, I've never seen them either - it's just a way of making sure that your regional comp sec is aware 'where you are'.

For BRSCCNW, sending that form to Dave Cleavely covers you for insurance as well. For other events, just drop Dave an e-mail (I normally mention it in the same e-mail as the BRSCC form) letting him know the club, where and when the meeting is and it can then be recorded appropriately.
Old 3 Jan 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2364465)   #9
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that inconsistency is the key here, Both Tango and myself had "insurance forms" through when we joined during this season. Although not green they asked for indication of which events would be attended
Old 3 Jan 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2364509)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
For BRSCCNW, sending that form to Dave Cleavely covers you for insurance as well.
Just to clarify, that applies to any meeting on the BRSCCNW volunteering form, i.e. everything at Oulton & Anglesey.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2368086)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From reading all the above - and similar threads in recent times - it would appear that new/potential Marshals still have difficulty in getting the information they need in a clear concise way to get them up & running!

In a Sport that is always crying out for new members, isn't it time the Committees of Marshalling and Racing Clubs sat down and made the whole process easier?
Old 9 Jan 2009, 10:06 (Ref:2368101)   #12
Don`t mention the war!
Rookie

Wales
swansea
Don`t mention the war! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by warweezil
It seems that inconsistency is the key here, Both Tango and myself had "insurance forms" through when we joined during this season. Although not green they asked for indication of which events would be attended
Iwas under the impression that you were insured at an event as soon as you signed on. Or is that just at BARC events? Do different clubs have different ways?
Old 9 Jan 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2368104)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don`t mention the war!
Iwas under the impression that you were insured at an event as soon as you signed on. Or is that just at BARC events? Do different clubs have different ways?
At any MSA-sanctioned meeting you are covered by the MSA's insurance. The BMMC insurance scheme offers additional benefits to members.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2368130)   #14
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Bugger, must send in my BMMC forms. Sue, if you're reading this - sorry, I'll get them posted this weekend!
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:05 (Ref:2368152)   #15
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
Bugger, must send in my BMMC forms. Sue, if you're reading this - sorry, I'll get them posted this weekend!
Um, I've never sent any extra forms in either. What are "BMMC forms?"
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2368161)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702
Um, I've never sent any extra forms in either. What are "BMMC forms?"

It's just our renewal for the BMMC Guinness. I got the form before Xmas but didn't send it back yet is all!
Old 9 Jan 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2368203)   #17
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
From reading all the above - and similar threads in recent times - it would appear that new/potential Marshals still have difficulty in getting the information they need in a clear concise way to get them up & running!

In a Sport that is always crying out for new members, isn't it time the Committees of Marshalling and Racing Clubs sat down and made the whole process easier?
Couldn't agree more, Mark. Talk about shooting oneself in the foot! IMHO all a prospective new marshal needs is details of a named contact for the venue(s) he or she is interested in. All the rest can wait - the main thing is to encourage them onto the bank. There can be little more offputting than a long list of forms to fill in and organisations to contact.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2368212)   #18
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don`t mention the war!
With the BMMC insurance scheme, you are insured throughout the duration of the meeting PLUS travelling to and from the event.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2368218)   #19
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
With the BMMC insurance scheme, you are insured throughout the duration of the meeting PLUS travelling to and from the event.
Yes, but do we have to tell the BMMC about each event we do before we go, or is it sufficient enough to just be a member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
It's just our renewal for the BMMC Guinness. I got the form before Xmas but didn't send it back yet is all!
Hmm, I've received nothing about renewal yet.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2368246)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
That's the Internet for you - so much information, so little knowledge!

Sift through the misconceptions, preconceptions, prejudices, opinions, confusions, contradictions, irrelevancies, etc., etc. & the nuggets are there!

We all mean well, though!
Old 9 Jan 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2368275)   #21
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
And with the BMMC insurance scheme you're also insured for any bike meeting that you do - providing you notify your Competition Secretary.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2368295)   #22
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[quote=Guinness2702]Yes, but do we have to tell the BMMC about each event we do before we go, or is it sufficient enough to just be a member?
All you have to do is send a list of the events you are doing to your Regional Comps Sec., he/she will then make sure you are covered.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2369590)   #23
captainbradders
Rookie

captainbradders should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gents,

Thank you all so much for your help. The advice on here has been the best I've received so far.

Funilly enough, my Registration Card turned up a few days ago. So, reassured, I can now get on and get my probans, and down to a training day.