Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 17 Jul 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2728154)   #1
OldSinger
Rookie

OldSinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles Villeneuve & Ronnie Peterson help

Hi,
I hope this forum is OK for this?

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me. For about the last 15 years I've had a few bits of motor racing memorabilia framed on my wall. Now the images I cut out of magazines to frame with them are fading, rippling and going brown. So I thought I’d reframe them with new images. What I would really like to do is find an image of the drivers wearing the patches I have together with images of the car to match that time.

I have three race suit patches (that was what I was lead to believe when I bought them!) I wanted to update. One is a Gold Leaf Team Lotus badge. It looks like it’s been picked of a dark blue suit. That one the easy one is as much as I don’t know the driver it came off so a selection of Team Lotus car images (e.g. from LAT images?) would go nice with it.

One of the other two is Gilles Villeneuve’s name patch. This has his name in a black Ferrari font but I’ve never found an image of him out the car wearing a similar patch.

The third one has given me the hardest job searching and is from Ronnie Peterson. This is in a red font. I’ll hopefully have scans of the patches attached to this post. I would love to identify an image of him in a suit with this patch so I could place the car he drove at the time. I believe they came directly from them while racing in the UK and possible at Silverstone.

If anyone could help identify a time /specific car I would really appreciate it.

In case anyone is interested I picked them up in an “antique” shop (probably more like a junk shop!) in Hertfordshire in the 90’s. I was just browsing around and I noticed a few old F1 1980’s programs in amongst the books. Also on the shelf was a box of bits that included a few old F1 passes and these patches. He wanted £5 for the Gold Leaf patch and I think £10 for the bits in the box that include the two name patches. Also in the box was the order of service for Ronnie Peterson’s memorial service in London and his obituary from Autosport folded up and tucked inside. There was also another memorial order of service for a British driver.

I asked the shop owner how he got these and he said an older retired man would come in occasionally with motorsport bits for him to sell. He was told the patches came from the drivers suits but he didn’t know which driver the Gold Leaf patch came from. Apparently the man had worked in motorsport – possible at Silverstone. He said he would ask him next time he saw him.

So I bought the patches and order of service and also some “signed” promotional photos of Graham Hill and Guy Edwards (Embassy Hill Lola – 1974 written on the back).

Unfortunately they were not that local to me but I did go back again and he hadn’t seen him then the next time I went they had closed down so I know no more of their history.

Thanks,
John
Attached Thumbnails
Gold Leaf_400px.jpg   Villeneuve_400px.jpg   Peterson_400px.jpg  

RP Memorial_400px.jpg  
Old 17 Jul 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2728254)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSinger View Post
Hi, I hope this forum is OK for this?..........
I
Absolutely, meat and drink I would have thought :-)
Old 28 Jul 2010, 04:23 (Ref:2734408)   #3
marc sproule
Racer

marc sproule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John:

I took a look through the pics of Gilles I have in my GV set on flickr and found none of the ones where his name was visible match what you have.

I do have a lot more pics of him in my archives that haven't been scanned and uploaded. If it was from is early days here on this side of the Atlantic then I may well have s pic of it.

I make no guarantees and it might be a while before I get to them, so check this set on occasion to see if I come up with the answer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4668198...7624008130538/

all of my pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46681980@N03/
Old 1 Aug 2010, 19:47 (Ref:2737700)   #4
OldSinger
Rookie

OldSinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marc,

Many thanks for the response. In fact I recognise your flicker pictures so I must have come across them before, probably searching for Gilles and Ronnie pictures!

I'll gladly check back to you photos, they are excellent. I'm sure there is something about the look of old film and slides that you don't often see on modern motorsport photos.

I recently saw cars of the era you had at Brands Hatch and while I like my images I wish I could replicate the colours of film.
Attached Thumbnails
Brands Hatch July 2010.jpg