Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Sep 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3302279)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
The curious question is why Renault didn't grab the opportunity to put more into Lotus (which was their team) and make the most of Kimi.
they've gone the customer only route to save throwing *seriously* silly money at f1? and you've got to say, with the way that the costs have escalated since they sidled off... they weren't wrong.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:01 (Ref:3302282)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Better be only a engine supplier...
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:11 (Ref:3302286)   #28
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
What ? Are you talking about Raikkonen ?
Yes, who else?
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3302300)   #29
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Kimi is the perfect #2. Not fast enough to challenge a top driver, but consistent and seemingly doesn't care about the inner team politics or if his teammate gets preferential treatment.

Red Bull could have played it safe and brought in Kimi to play Webber's role, but instead they dove into the unknown with Ricciardo. I think that's perhaps more interesting, but still a risk. Granted the car is good, Ferrari have set themselves up well for the WCC next year with this signing.
Filed for later reference
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3302301)   #30
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Kimi is the perfect #2. Not fast enough to challenge a top driver, but consistent and seemingly doesn't care about the inner team politics or if his teammate gets preferential treatment.
Quote:
What ? Are you talking about Raikkonen ?
Quote:
Yes, who else?
Definitely he's not a #2 and fast as hell. He's a top driver, one of best out there !
Old 11 Sep 2013, 20:25 (Ref:3302345)   #31
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm just as confused, Kimi finally left a race weekend after 27 straight without a point and somehow he's slow and not a #1 now? Yes he doesn't let politics bother him, usually out of his control so why waste the effort and isn't going to cry about updates and who gets them when during the race weekend. Crying and playing the blame game like other drivers have isn't going to make him any faster and he seems to be solely focused on what is on HIS car.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 20:43 (Ref:3302357)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Kimi is the perfect #2. Not fast enough to challenge a top driver, but consistent
Maybe from a driving perspective, though personally I don't think so. However, consider this. It wouldn't surprise me if Alonso's contract clearly states that he is the number 1 driver and that he will receive support from a compliant number 2 in the other seat. If that's the case, then Kimi will have had to have signed a facsimile of what Massa signed. This means he will have moved to Ferrari for the money only, which kinda sits uneasy.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 20:56 (Ref:3302370)   #33
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Maybe from a driving perspective, though personally I don't think so. However, consider this. It wouldn't surprise me if Alonso's contract clearly states that he is the number 1 driver and that he will receive support from a compliant number 2 in the other seat. If that's the case, then Kimi will have had to have signed a facsimile of what Massa signed. This means he will have moved to Ferrari for the money only, which kinda sits uneasy.
I can't imagine Kimi playing the dutiful no.2 all season. He might help out if his team mate was going for the championship, if Kimi was out of the running but...
Old 11 Sep 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3302378)   #34
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I can't imagine Kimi playing the dutiful no.2 all season. He might help out if his team mate was going for the championship, if Kimi was out of the running but...
I agree. But if he's signed something to that effect, maybe we'll see a different Kimi... or Ferrari and Kimi in court !
Old 11 Sep 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3302393)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I simply can't believe he's signed anything like that. Why would he leave Lotus to play definite second fiddle at Ferrari? Or is is just about cash?
Old 11 Sep 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3302416)   #36
MikeManNZ
Racer

MikeManNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can not see Kimi being a #2 like Massa either.

No matter what his contract states if he can push for a position he will, there is not 1% of back down in him.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3302431)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think it's an 'Irvine' deal too. Take a big pay deal ( which he wasn't getting at Enstone!) and security for a while before retiring. Having agreed a 1 +1 year deal, neither team nor driver are thinking long term. I also don't really believe he thinks he will win another title realistically?

Kimi gives Ferrari a bit of flexibility if they have another **** season next year and Alonso says enough's enough leaving them frantically seeking the next messiah!
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3302438)   #38
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I simply can't believe he's signed anything like that. Why would he leave Lotus to play definite second fiddle at Ferrari? Or is is just about cash?
I don't Kimi cares about status in a team.. I think he will just drive like hell ..
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3302441)   #39
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Something tells me that Alonso is on his way out after 2014.
I think Alonso is going to get the boot at the end of this season ...
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3302442)   #40
Tiny
Rookie

Sweden
Tiny has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I am also hearing reports the our Americas correspondent that Ronald Reagan has just won the USA Presidential election!
Said what did you
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:35 (Ref:3302445)   #41
Tiny
Rookie

Sweden
Tiny has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I really do hope Kimi make Alonso look bad.
Alonso has not responded well to team mates that are as good as him or better.

But if Kimi does good then we all have to listen to Alonso moan about it all on teamradio all next season , Whinonso back again!
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3302451)   #42
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
This is going to be interesting. Alonso has shown this year that if you push all race, the Ferrari can be up there - not all the time and wins have been elusive but at more races than not, standing on the podium has been achievable.

We've all seen Kimi run hot and cold at times but he seems to have run hot more often than not at Lotus so maybe, just maybe Ferrari could have two never say die drivers pushing hard next year.

With new engines, a new driver at RB plus others (Mercedes & McLaren for example) likely to improve, it could be a stronger year for the prancing horses and maybe for F1 in general.

Of course, the Ferrari engine could be a dog and they'll be nowhere but we might just be looking at 7-9 truly competitive cars/drivers capable of winning or podium places going at it from round to round.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3302452)   #43
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I think Alonso is going to get the boot at the end of this season ...
Yes Jeremy, I was wondering the same thing.
Fits in with Monty's "I don't wasn't two roosters in the hen house" too.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3302455)   #44
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I don't Kimi cares about status in a team.. I think he will just drive like hell ..
He has gone from 1 win and five seconds to a team who really isn't putting anything better together at the moment, but may do in the future?
He has gone from clear No. 1 status to shared status or a No.2 to Alonso?
He is paid more and it is reliable (the payments).

So what is it all about?
Ferrari get rid of a driver who has missed the WDC by a point despite winning the final race and the previous year moved over and gave up his place for the teams other driver who was then able to win the championship...

Now he has had an injury a couple of years ago and has not been on that sort of form since but he scored a third and two fourths on days when the No. 1 was only a couple of places or three ahead and he has been a place ahead of or behind the person who is replacing him?

Is Ferrari really aware of what they are doing or is something more going on?
Are they happy with Alonso or are they aware that it may be time for him to move on and this is insurance...

Now they have two of the most expensive drivers.... and wouldn't $10 million be better spent on the car?

This is NOT over yet...
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3302460)   #45
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi vs Fernando will be exciting to watch. We finally see both drivers, at a similar point in their careers where they make very few mistakes and often get the best out of the car, go head to head in equal (well, I hope it's equal) machinery. As long as Kimi doesn't lose interest when he gets beaten, I'm betting it's going to be quite close.

I wonder if Ferrari are sick of losing and want to have a go at the WCC. It'll be easier next year with RB, McLaren, Lotus all having less experienced #2s (or maybe #1 in Grosjean's case).
Old 12 Sep 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3302493)   #46
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may be that Ferrari has taken the approach of one less top driver to compete against.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 03:15 (Ref:3302519)   #47
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
I really do hope Kimi make Alonso look bad.
Alonso has not responded well to team mates that are as good as him or better.

But if Kimi does good then we all have to listen to Alonso moan about it all on teamradio all next season , Whinonso back again!
I'm not sure if Kimi is quite as good, let alone better than Fernando. Felipe was clearly inferior to Fernando when the two drove together for Ferrari, and in 2008 Felipe outperformed Kimi when they were Ferrari teammates, with the exception of Spa where Kimi beat the bloody crap out of Felipe up until the crash. This would suggest that Fernando is better than Felipe who is better than Kimi. However, Felipe hasn't been the same in recent years, and in 2008 Kimi didn't seem to quite have his heart in it.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3302550)   #48
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari: "Kimi, Fernando is faster than you. Don't hold him up."

Kimi: "Yeah, yeah, yeah.. why is he so far behind me then?"
Old 12 Sep 2013, 07:20 (Ref:3302555)   #49
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought - I don't know who's decision it was not to close subforum "Formula Teddy Out The Pram" but, hey, was that a good call or what?

Old 12 Sep 2013, 07:53 (Ref:3302564)   #50
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Something doesn't feel right about this driver pairing.................

Is Alonso going to jump or be pushed at the end of this season?
He's certainly been acting rather odd over the past few weeks.

He may not be able to go elswhere in 2014 (Compromise Agreement) so perhaps EJ's sabbatical is going to prove accurate.