Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 11 Oct 2002, 22:23 (Ref:401476)   #1
FilW
Racer

FilW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ards

Anybody got any advice about taking the ARDS test. Should I have any intruction first or just go for it! Hope to race Formula Vee next year if I can. Cheers
Old 11 Oct 2002, 22:49 (Ref:401500)   #2
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
go for it.. youll be fine.
just drive fast and not like a pussy!!
Old 12 Oct 2002, 02:31 (Ref:401648)   #3
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive heard that the driving part is fairly easy, although I have seen someone fail it. main thing is that you can lap safely, smoothly and near enough on the right line.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 05:56 (Ref:401772)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is tuition throughout the day. They build you up to it. It was an enjoyable day.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 07:40 (Ref:401833)   #5
steve_arion
Rookie

England
South Bucks
steve_arion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took my ARDS test at Mallory Park last year and they all made me very welcome. It was an enjoyable day. I Passed! and now race in the XJS Challenge.

Make sure you study the Video carefully that you get with the ARDS pack, and LEARN your flags. And you will be fine.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:56 (Ref:403965)   #6
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did mine at Brands, I did the tuition bit at the race school too, which made it easier as you've basically been doing the driving part all morning (in the test I think I only did 2 laps then got told to pull in as I'd passed).

The written/multiple choice test is very easy. We got to watch the video right before it, as said earler watch that and learn your flags.

Oh, and don't forget to take your valid medical and anything else they ask for (driving license) a few people were sent away when I was there for forgetting these and a couple of them had come quite a long way.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 11:49 (Ref:404757)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took mine in 92 or 93 (92 I think) and then cos I went travelling for a couple of years they said Id have to retake it because I was unable to keep my licemce up to date. What a rip-off !
Old 15 Oct 2002, 16:43 (Ref:405010)   #8
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
sounds like the msa to me.. lol.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 21:57 (Ref:405231)   #9
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think i read somewhere that the ards test is to be scrapped for ex licence holders wishing to race again, check with msa.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 02:42 (Ref:439146)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by vaughan jones
I think i read somewhere that the ards test is to be scrapped for ex licence holders wishing to race again, check with msa.
Did you hear any more about this? I tried their website to no avail.... if I dont have to take my ARDS again I might get one, but I dont fancy undergoing that trauma again - the sight of Richard Dean desperately searching for his sunglasses on the floor of an Astra as I attempted to land the thing after an attempted straightlineing of the final corner will live with me a long time. Still to be fair to the guy his only comment on my exam papaer was "bit wild"...
Old 30 Nov 2002, 15:26 (Ref:440119)   #11
FilW
Racer

I took my ARDS last week ( and failed, drove like a blind man!!!) there was a guy taking it who was racing up to a few years ago so I don't think it has been scrapped for ex-licence holders bu tdon't quote me.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 23:52 (Ref:440296)   #12
vaughan jones
Racer

i will phone them ,will the post the reply on the site
Old 2 Dec 2002, 18:26 (Ref:441298)   #13
vaughan jones
Racer

phoned racmsa i was right, situation is that guidelines have been relaxed. the person i spoke to looked me up on the records, since i have not had a licence for 5 years i will have to sit a written test at one of the schools
Not a driving test, if i pass i can download app. form, go doctor etc
Old 2 Dec 2002, 21:12 (Ref:441381)   #14
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Thats good news - thanks very much Vaughan youve saved me a bob or two!
Old 3 Dec 2002, 07:19 (Ref:441593)   #15
Peter Young
Rookie

Peter Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Have recently done my ARDS test, after sprinting for a few years. I have to say that in the time leading up to the test my feelings were a mixture of fear of cocking up badly, having been put down as second driver in a one hour race the following weekend, and feeling that the "course" was a likely to be a waste of money, as so many people say it is.
Well believe me it wasn't! I did the course at Thruxton, somewhere I have never driven. Paul Coomb was my instructor, my time on track was turned into a short but intense coaching session. Whole thing was excellent - so was the race at Snetterton! Thanks Paul.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 09:39 (Ref:443120)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
thats good to hear Peter, I want to go and do mine early next year . . . .Ive got the MSA pack, and live halfeway between Thruxton and Brands . . .how much is the course £150?
Old 6 Dec 2002, 21:41 (Ref:444634)   #17
vaughan jones
Racer

Found application form and 7 pages of information on what to do on racmsa webside, 2003 application on this site, it would appear if you did ards test recently, having had a previous racing licence, nat A or higher you have done your money, nothing changes in racing!!!!
Old 6 Dec 2002, 23:13 (Ref:444710)   #18
FilW
Racer

Hurrah!!!
Passed the driving at the second time of asking at Thruxton. Must thank Paul Coombs who arranged some personal instruction with Wil Arif who did an excellent job in turning me from a quivering wreck into a "passable" driver. Onwards and upwards to the heady heights of "Formula Vee" now!
Old 6 Feb 2003, 16:44 (Ref:498631)   #19
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

I have spoken to the RACMSAas I wanted to get licences for Hillclimbs and Karting next year and as I had previously held a full race licence all I have to do is re-take the written test and get my race national b back, which covers me for karting and speed events anyway.

So my question is how hard is the written test, I cant remember? Ive lost the video I had years ago about flags etc , would some intense study of the blue book suffice? my test is the end of next week.

thanks
Old 10 Feb 2003, 10:52 (Ref:502166)   #20
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FYI Passed my ards at silverstone in Jan 26 2003. I asked my examiner what the pass rate was. He didn't know for the school as a whole, but he said he fails 30-40% of candidates.

The written is a doddle, and they will show you the video again on the day. If you fail the written you were very lucky to even find the track.

In the driven test I was always always encouraged to go faster. I resisted because they can't fail you unles you are so slow to be a danger to other drivers. Smooth and accurate, make your instructor feel safe, thats what i reckon anyway.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 11:13 (Ref:502180)   #21
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by bradenc

The written is a doddle, and they will show you the video again on the day. If you fail the written you were very lucky to even find the track.

haha! all I have to do is the written - maybe I will get them to play me the video while the rest are out on the track. Thanks for the info.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 12:13 (Ref:502231)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The written really is easy, the driving is a bit harder if you have never driven on a circuit before, but drive with you head and remember it just a test - so don't take silly risks. I nearly put one of the (then brand new) castle combe Focuses (Focii?) into the tyres at quarrly as I got a bit too confident, the instructor said I reacted very well and kept it on the island! I passed.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 17:36 (Ref:506719)   #23
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Well I had to bone up a bit on the flags but it was worth it. FilW and Peter Young I have to agree with you Paul Coomb was excellent, as was Pat Blakeney who runs the school - they could'nt have been more helpful, somewhat in contrast to when I originally took the test in 92 at Donington I must say.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 10:14 (Ref:509329)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
well Ive just done my medical ok . . . it sounds from all your comments that Thruxton is the place to go . . .a bit further to travel for me, but if theyre the best around, Ill go there

anyone know about Goodwood or Brands as alternatives?
Old 17 Feb 2003, 13:31 (Ref:509491)   #25
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Dont know about Goodwood, last school I knew of there was Peter Gethins years ago but they were high performance driving, previous to that it would have been the one in the early 70s run by Steve Bradley with David Purley as lead instructor... Ive always felt BHL/Octagon whatever to be more of a big machine, Thruxton isnt that far away - either round the M25 and down the M3/A303 or across the M27 and up M3 depending on your start point - easy in the day.