Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Aug 2000, 18:38 (Ref:30512)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

For the past two or three years now F1 has been UTTERLY dominated by an Adrian Newey team (quel surprise). Ferrari this year have caught up but Jordan, who many expected to be closer this year have failed to come up trumps and mount any serious threat to the big two.

Williams seem to have potential and have done far better this season than they hoped, but still are some way away from the Ferrari/Mac. As for Benetton, their lack of consistensy (and the handicap of only having one car; Wurz doesn't count does he??) has seen them lag. The less said about mega-bucks BAR's shocking (again) performance this season the better.

However with regulations remaining more or less static for next season is there any realistic hope of seeing this gulf close? If so, who's gonna try and jump it? Or will it be business as usual next year with two silver thingeys running away hotlel persued by an angry German bloke?

Over 2u.........
Old 14 Aug 2000, 18:44 (Ref:30514)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think the gap can close a little. I don't honestly see Williams challenging for the championship (yet!!) but I think with the second year of their works engines, and hopefully the same two (perfectly able) drivers, they can bridge some of that gap that the McLarens and the Ferraris (or should I just say TGF???) have opened out.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15 Aug 2000, 00:56 (Ref:30605)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Ralf's Girl said. And BAR are just behind Williams behind Williams. If Honda can set them straight they may be a contender next year. And lets not count out jordan with the works honda engines. BAR has the fastest car in terms of flat out speed, just imagine what that engine could do in a good car!

Old 15 Aug 2000, 06:42 (Ref:30644)   #4
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With so many car companies and If the rules don't change then the cars will start to even out. But like I have said before the problem is the little "dirty air" device installed in the cars you, cant follow the guy ahead closely because you lose downforce. Remove that device and problem solved.

Old 15 Aug 2000, 08:04 (Ref:30651)   #5
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You have to hope that the rest will continue to close on the big two, that is Newey and Schuey, wha have dominated F1 for the past 6 seasons.

One thing which gives you hope of some more interesting results next year is that we will have another variable in the game, with two different tyre companies. You've just got to think about when Bridgestone came in and we had Arrows and Prost both leading GP's in '97. You have to say that certainly Williams are stronger than either of those two were in '97, so we might see the odd upset.

Here's hoping anyway
Old 15 Aug 2000, 09:32 (Ref:30659)   #6
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you could be being a little unfair to BAR there. They've done considerably better this year then last, and they've given the Jaguar team a damn good stuffing.
Old 15 Aug 2000, 09:54 (Ref:30660)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Go Minardi Renault

You guys have got it all wrong. Minardi Renault will be the team to beat next year, mark my words. I'll bet a bunch of bananas on it.
Old 15 Aug 2000, 18:40 (Ref:30754)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't believe for a second that they will be known as Minardi-Renault. With Renault entering F1 themselves, I don't believe they would use the engines Benetton will be using for Minardi. Perhaps this year's Supertec, or a Mecachrome...whatever the difference is.

But I would like to see Minardi hauling themselves out of their perpetual back-of-the-grid positions.
Old 15 Aug 2000, 19:35 (Ref:30768)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest gap closed for 2001 will be between the Macaroons and Minardi - Renault engines or not.

Whatever the Renaults engines are, Supertec or proper R's, Minardi will finally leave the back of the grid.

I reckon that 2001 will Jordan return to the third team position, with BAR and Williams closely behind.

Jaguar have a lot of work to do.
Old 15 Aug 2000, 22:26 (Ref:30810)   #10
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But then who will be at the back??

I do also think that whichever teams pick the "right" tyre next year will close the gap upon the top teams on the "wrong" tyre.
Old 16 Aug 2000, 01:01 (Ref:30839)   #11
Mr.S
Racer

Aren't McLaren and Ferrari on the same tire next year?
Old 16 Aug 2000, 20:04 (Ref:30948)   #12
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
At the back next season, I'd say it's a scrap between Arrows and Sauber, providing Prost get better engines.
Old 17 Aug 2000, 02:08 (Ref:31020)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Renault-Minardi, then

OK, if you don't believe in Minardi/Renault, (which I do by the way, because I'm betting a bunch of bananas on this), then how about Renault-Minardi??
Old 17 Aug 2000, 19:29 (Ref:31133)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
The words Minardi and Renault go fine together either way round for me...

Old 17 Aug 2000, 21:47 (Ref:31164)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Go MInardi

I'm with you MF. I honestly think that if they had a decent power unit, they will zoom up the grid, thereby attracting more lucrative sponsors, which will in turn help the team develop their car even more. They already have two superb drivers, don't they?? Several top drivers will be fighting each other just to get the chance to test drive the Minardi. Hang on a bit, my alarm clock just went off.
Old 19 Aug 2000, 00:45 (Ref:31351)   #16
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
They have ONE superb driver. Ditch Mazzacane, hire anyone else but Diniz, and THEN they have two!

Old 19 Aug 2000, 01:37 (Ref:31364)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
OK. We can have Bruno Junqueira
Old 19 Aug 2000, 05:35 (Ref:31383)   #18
Mr.S
Racer

I dont think he's that desprate yet!
Old 19 Aug 2000, 09:14 (Ref:31387)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
OK!! How about Rubens (Elmer Fudd) Barichello then?? He's not a bad driver. Or Zonta, .......
Old 19 Aug 2000, 10:21 (Ref:31401)   #20
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Junqeira is indeed another rumoured driver for Minardi - and he's the best spare Brazilian going. He's about to win the F3000 championship.