Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Mar 2004, 20:28 (Ref:899906)   #1
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R Kelly fined - Bringing the sport into disrepute?

It seems that Rick Kelly has copped a $5000 fine for bringing the sport into disrepute after his comments on the Ingall incident.

Firstly, did he really bring the sport into disrepute?

Secondly, are we going the way of F1 where the drivers will not be allowed or want to say anything emotional or controversial and the individual drivers personalities will be totally lost?

Drivers get angry when things don't go their way, and things get said in the heat of the moment, but often later when things are looked at in a calmer fashion, the drivers involved come to an agreement that maybe it wasn't so bad, and simply get on with it.

I'm not saying that Rick is right and Ingall was wrong, merely commenting on the handing out of that particular fine, which I don't think was appropriate under the circumstances.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 20:41 (Ref:899928)   #2
Big Trev
Racer

Big Trev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rick is part of a professional enterprise, and as such should conduct himslef as such, the fact that he is just a kid is irrelevant.

I say GOOD to the fact he coped a fine, from where I sat he sounded like a sook. There a few sooks, both as drivers and teams owners/managers and Channel 10 know who they are and chase 'em down. One such manager/owner actually said some worthwhile things on the weekend, and some of us are still in a state of shock.

BTW "Eagles are not a dirty bird" - this is a bastrdisation of a great '70s Skyhooks song.

Last edited by Big Trev; 9 Mar 2004 at 20:44.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 20:43 (Ref:899930)   #3
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Channel Seriously should pay half....

What do you expect when you stick a microphone in front of someone who still has the adrenaline off the gauge???

Imagine having an interviewer at the gate to talk to the batsman after they've just got a dodgy lbw call. Channel Nine tried it years ago during World Series until a disgruntled batsman almost inserted the bat into the reporter's nether regions.

If anyone brought motorsport into "disrepute" over the Rick Kelly issue, it was Channel Ten. "Adds an element of drama to the coverage" they say. CR@P. All it does it give a fired up driver the chance to say something they'll regret later...
Old 9 Mar 2004, 22:37 (Ref:900097)   #4
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a crock of sh!t... He didn't bring the sport into disrepute, he simply voiced his opinion on the incident. How boring would it be if drivers simply didn't say anything ??

Some of the stewards should be fined for some of their decisions - ie Murph penalised for tagging Lowndes last year...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 9 Mar 2004, 22:47 (Ref:900113)   #5
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish we lived in a pefect world but alas
Old 9 Mar 2004, 23:00 (Ref:900139)   #6
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... taxis and league continue to entertain the masses
(sigh)
Old 10 Mar 2004, 05:58 (Ref:900421)   #7
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't beleive they would fine someone for saying that!

He just said what his feelings were! He didn't swear, he didn't take a cheap blow at Ingall, he just said how he felt.

How about fining the officials for fining someone for having the freedom of speech.

I know he is a part of a formal organisation, but sport has emotions and if someone gets punted out of the race, it seems the only way you don't get fined for "Bringing the sport into disrepute" is if you simply say:

"I have no opinion - and V8 Supercars are a great category. Thankyou very much Channel 10 for taking care of television coverage, thanks to Tony Cochrane, AVESCO, Shell, and all of our sponsors."

What a stupid situation.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 06:04 (Ref:900423)   #8
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
He accused Ingall of punting him off which was most definately NOT the case. He'd actually run Ingall onto the grass at the precious turn and Russ kept his boot into it. The front of Ingalls car was at his front wheel and he turned in and created his own accident.

He deserved the fine for:

1. Wrongly accusing another driver and asking for a penalty to be put on Ingall - on National TV
2. For being a dope
3. For driving a Holden
Old 10 Mar 2004, 06:35 (Ref:900442)   #9
Mike Hunt
Rookie

Mike Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I'm afraid out little Dick Kelly has been going to the Holden Motorsport Academy of winging
Old 10 Mar 2004, 07:01 (Ref:900464)   #10
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He may well have been fined and some may think it stinks and some may think it warrented, the will really sooner or later hit the fan when one driver and a smart lawyer sue the other driver for defamation of charactor.Can't happen you say, I am sure that that soccer player in the UK didn't expect to have to pay 600k pound compo to the player he broke his leg.Footy players have sued for lost earnings etc. Sponser pulls out after hearing some one rabbling on about being a dirty driver,should be penalised etc etc .How do you think they were cheering, up in the Ford box listening to that rubbish.

Ironically these events in particular are an oppurtunity for our drivers to showcase there wares.Rick has (like most drivers) given up on becoming an open wheeler driver and has no asperations of driving for anyone bar the old's so it matters little in this case but If any team manager were watching and thinking of maybe finding another talented driver to do say International GT3 like Davo's son then I can think of one name that wouldn't be near the top.Top drivers have a knack of saying little and allowing the media etc to work for them with a few well places interviews and quotes.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 07:07 (Ref:900471)   #11
Mike Hunt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hunt
Yes, I'm afraid out little Dick Kelly has been going to the Holden Motorsport Academy of winging
Mind you, they have had many successfull students. Skaife, Bright, Murphy, Gardner, Perkins, the list goes on and on.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 09:16 (Ref:900566)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I actually think it is a good thing, if it is the kind of control the sport wants to have, and is willing to exercise over anyone who says similar things.

There is never anything wrong with a rule that is correctly written, free of technical loopholes, and is applied to the offending parties correctly.

The $64 question will be to see who the next candidate is.

When you think about it, #10 plays a part in this by sticking a mike in front of an obviously irate driver, looking for just such controversial commentary. Perhaps some new guidelines there would be rather clever also?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Mar 2004, 09:37 (Ref:900588)   #13
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Young rick was probably trying to impress skaife & opened his mouth before the holden pr machine got to insert their hand to work it..........
Old 10 Mar 2004, 09:43 (Ref:900597)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are ways of saying things though.

Brad Jones' character assessment on LP last year at Bathurst was a polite manner of describing a negative situation without making blase, outright statements that will come back to haunt the interviewee.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 09:56 (Ref:900605)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*faints*

Now, GTR, that is one for the Official Quotes of the Year Awards night!

Deeks6: Your Point 2) and 3) are not able to wash with me at all. Point 1) is a little off too as team owners and managers and other drivers have done it before.
Last year, there was the "Frobes can't even spin properly" quote - show us a proper spin then, expert - and also another team owner who was a darker shade of purple ranting and raving about other drivers in frankly blunt manners.

The scariest part, dear fans, is what if it was Murphy who was on the TV..... Good heavens!
Old 10 Mar 2004, 10:00 (Ref:900607)   #16
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by deeks6
He accused Ingall of punting him off which was most definately NOT the case. He'd actually run Ingall onto the grass at the precious turn and Russ kept his boot into it. The front of Ingalls car was at his front wheel and he turned in and created his own accident.

He deserved the fine for:

1. Wrongly accusing another driver and asking for a penalty to be put on Ingall - on National TV
2. For being a dope
3. For driving a Holden
Agree except for no. 3. That's not really relevant anymore, now is it?

As I've said previously, Hello, Bathurst Honeymoon is now over, back to the real world

Never send a boy out to do a man's work.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 10 Mar 2004, 10:09 (Ref:900616)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I dont think there is anything much wrong with Rick Kelly's driving. There is a measure of pure speed there, but the problem can be that the driver at such an age needs to have a mentor, a driver trainer with an engineering nous that can help the driver mature and get more out of himself.

It looks for all the world that neither Kelly brother has benefitted from this level of tuition on a regular basis. Perhaps perpetuating bad habits, and not having a mechanism to learn from those mistakes in a methodical, logical way.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 10:09 (Ref:900617)   #18
Mike Hunt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
Agree except for no. 3. That's not really relevant anymore, now is it?

As I've said previously, Hello, Bathurst Honeymoon is now over, back to the real world

Never send a boy out to do a man's work.
Little Dick Kelly is getting a bit big for his britches(probably Todd's hand me downs, anyway).
Old 10 Mar 2004, 10:25 (Ref:900640)   #19
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hunt
Little Dick Kelly is getting a bit big for his britches(probably Todd's hand me downs, anyway).
Ah, good 'ol "Aussie Rubens'

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 10 Mar 2004, 21:27 (Ref:901316)   #20
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll settle down once he's had his first one.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 22:18 (Ref:901374)   #21
Mike Hunt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by The Snout
He'll settle down once he's had his first one.
ROFL
Old 10 Mar 2004, 22:48 (Ref:901400)   #22
Blueprint
Rookie

Blueprint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else hear what sounded like "f'n Ingall!!" from Kelly over the radio after it happened?? I could swear thats what he said.....
Old 12 Mar 2004, 01:58 (Ref:902657)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I'm going to cop it from all of the Ingall fans here, but I think Ingall was to blame. That last turn is hardly a recognised passing spot, and as soon as he stuck his nose up the inside there, it was as clear as the nose on Skaife's face that there was going to be contact, and Kelly was going to be on the bad end of it.

Ingall wasn't level with the B-pillar either, and Rick just took the racing line.

Kelly cops a fine, while the bloke who wrecks his car gets away with it ...... AGAIN!

Russell should be known as Houdini.

-DUCKS-
Old 12 Mar 2004, 02:47 (Ref:902680)   #24
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny thing is officials don't agree with you mac.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 03:24 (Ref:902700)   #25
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
Well, I'm going to cop it from all of the Ingall fans here, but I think Ingall was to blame. That last turn is hardly a recognised passing spot, and as soon as he stuck his nose up the inside there, it was as clear as the nose on Skaife's face that there was going to be contact, and Kelly was going to be on the bad end of it.

Ingall wasn't level with the B-pillar either, and Rick just took the racing line.

Kelly cops a fine, while the bloke who wrecks his car gets away with it ...... AGAIN!

Russell should be known as Houdini.

-DUCKS-
Sorry, but I am NOT an Ingall fan, but you are simply WRONG on this occasion. A frame-by-frame review of the incident reveals that they were side-by-side all the way through the previous corner (Ingall was in fact about 2 feet in front at the previous apex). Approaching the "hit" corner, Kelly was at least 15 feet out from the right hand track edge, while Ingall was about 4 feet out from the edge.

One car length from the apex, Kelly was at least 10 feet out from the track edge, while Ingall, whose front spoiler was at least level with the rear of Kelly's front guard, was about 1 foot onto the grass on the inside.

At the apex, the cars were together, with Ingall's spoiler level with Kelly's front wheel.

Given the point of contact, Kelly's car would NOT have spun if he had not tried to squeeze Ingall out by trying to hold a tight line.

Why did it happen? Because Kelly HAD to leave room for Ingall because Ingall was ALREADY THERE as they entered the corner.

The stewards (quite rightly IMHO) deemed it a racing incident. Have a look at the video and you will see that this was definitely not an "enforcer" hit. Sorry, but no cigar.