Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:41 (Ref:1704699)   #51
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is.....wow.....

Many people have bashed the man in the last 24 months. His speed in cars these days, his personal life, etc...

I remember the man as a kid. I met him twice, aged 9 and 13. At age 13, the first thing he said was "William, isnt it? You visited me at oran park in the mobil sierra, right?"..... How the heck could a man with so many fans remember?

I got diabetes in 1997, late september. Dad had organised for us all to go to bathurst to see his last race. Adversely because of this, we missed his last race.

My uncle wrote to him to explain this, and I got a letter from him with a signed shirt, saying that he was sad for my health and was I wasnt there to say goodbye, but that life was about more than seeing "just a race" and that he knew I could get through the tragedy and make my life something special.....

I still have this letter and shirt. The man cared SO MUCH about his fans and was an amazing human....

Was.... he still is. He is....

Peter, not many people can bring a grown man to tears, but you have. Blessed be, and let us hope his family and friends can get through this. We all love you.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:41 (Ref:1704700)   #52
moses
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
moses should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never been a Brock fan, but no one can deny what he brought to the sport. Thousands idolised him as their hero, and he always made time for the fans. A man for the people, the common man, considered imortal by many, will be greatly missed. Rest In Peace.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:42 (Ref:1704701)   #53
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not a good week to be an Aussie icon.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:43 (Ref:1704702)   #54
dumbrell_fan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria
dumbrell_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Peter Brock
Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:47 (Ref:1704704)   #55
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Brocky. I don't know what to say. Devastating.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:52 (Ref:1704705)   #56
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Brock moment is one that I'm sure many of us have shared, with the man signing autographs well into the dark hours at a race meeting. My brother and I were the last ones in the queue, and it was really quite something that after all the other 'stars' had packed up and gone away, Peter still had time for me.

I've only seen him win two races, both at Bathurst. In one weekend Peter shared a ute with his son James to victory, and later the Bathurst 24hr. It was a pleasure to witness his oh-so-smooth style around the place he made his own.

Peter, you're a legend.

RIP.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:53 (Ref:1704706)   #57
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP mate.. Thanks for the memorys
Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:55 (Ref:1704708)   #58
bloggs
Racer

Australia
Goldcoast
bloggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a ford fan from the late sixties, I used to hate Brocky. But as I grew up, he grew into a man that I admired very much.

R.I.P. Brocky..
one hellava life
Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:55 (Ref:1704709)   #59
Bown
Rookie

Bown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rip Pb.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:56 (Ref:1704711)   #60
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brock, why didn't you retire in 2005? I always wanted to meet you. You were my hero. Now I'm here in tears and shaking uncontrolablly. RIP Peter, you were simply the best. Long live the King of the Mountain and his A9X Torrana.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 05:58 (Ref:1704712)   #61
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Not a good week to be an Aussie icon.
Actually that's 3 in 1 week.

Steve Irwin
Colin Thiele
Peter Brock

That's it no more please!
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:02 (Ref:1704715)   #62
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unbelievable. Brock raced and lived through an era where motorsport was tremendously dangerous, but obviously motorsport is still dangerous and nothing was going to stop him racing. The epitome of a racer.

This is going to take some getting used to.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:03 (Ref:1704716)   #63
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like many legends he never stopped touring-and as it says on the back of the ticket"Motor Racing is Dangerous...".Thanks PB for your efforts,only met you once at EC we spoke briefly about your FX to Goodwood project,you will never be forgotten.My son has a wall poster you signed with "follow your dreams" --you did that and we are appreciative.Your Ghost lives at Bathurst.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:04 (Ref:1704717)   #64
dmcl
Racer

dmcl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its unfortunate when anyone loses their life in motorsport, for a man who did so much to raise the profile of the sport, it is very sad.
Vale Peter
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:06 (Ref:1704718)   #65
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
Between Winton & Wakefield
Adam Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I met Peter on numerous occassions and I remember when I was 5 years old Peter had his 40th Birthday celebrations at Winton, where I was given the job of presenting his birthday cake. I remember this because I felt so privilaged as a young fella to be in the presence of a man that so many people idolised. He truly was a Legend of Australian Motorsport, RIP PB!!
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:07 (Ref:1704719)   #66
Shazza
Rookie

Argentina
Adelaide, Australia
Shazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tragic news. Brocky will be sadly missed. RIP
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:08 (Ref:1704720)   #67
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Terribly sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. He was a legend all round the world.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:10 (Ref:1704721)   #68
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember in 2003 i met brocky in the first eastern creek round and got a photo with him and we had a good conversation being 13 at the time brock said "what do you want to be when you grow up i said a mechanic or race driver",and later in the year we went to the last round of the year at eastern creek and got my photo signed and he remembered me and the photo and said "you want to be a mechanic dont you" and i said "yes" and he signed on the photo live your dreams as he wrote on most things and he said to me "good luck in becoming a mechanic" i was surprised he remembered me considering the amount of autograph's the man signed.he will be sadly missed

RIP peter perfect.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:13 (Ref:1704724)   #69
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A message to all people going down to Bathurst. In honour of The Mountain King, can all going to the 2006 Super Cheap Auto 1000 please wear black or red arm bands. From Greg Barton, a motorsport lover and a proud fan of the late Peter Brock.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:13 (Ref:1704725)   #70
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
amazing, a truly unebelievable week for Aussie legends.

RIP Brocky, you will be missed but never forgotten.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:17 (Ref:1704726)   #71
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
On this day, we lost Aussie's best son

Today, we say goodbye to Australia's best racing hero. Peter Brock. He'd wanted to go this way. RIP Peter Geoffrey Brock, may you be in peace in heaven and we will miss you. It will be a very sad Bathurst 1000 this year.

Last edited by Razor; 8 Sep 2006 at 06:19.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:18 (Ref:1704727)   #72
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've stood through the odd "minute's silence" in my time.

But the one at Bathurst this year is already making the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

RIP
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:18 (Ref:1704728)   #73
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
A message to all people going down to Bathurst. In honour of The Mountain King, can all going to the 2006 Super Cheap Auto 1000 please wear black or red arm bands. From Greg Barton, a motorsport lover and a proud fan of the late Peter Brock.
i will be definatly be wearing one as i think a lot of people will.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:23 (Ref:1704729)   #74
grange54
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
grange54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's times like this that you reflect on the person whom has just departed from your life and you remember the special things that this person meant to you. As a race official who has met Peter on a number of occasions my lasting memory is of a caring man of great humility. He was dedicated to his chosen sport, to his family and his race fans.
The thread that has constantly been mentioned is his great memory for indivudial race fans. This must have been one of his many virtues as each time I met Peter at a race meeting he would always remember my name.
My condolences to his family and close friends, we are struggling with the loss of an Australian motor racing legend, you are struggling with the loss of a someone far greater than that.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 06:26 (Ref:1704730)   #75
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Words cannot describe how i feel right now. It's honestly one of (if not the worst) feelings i've ever had, and the worst news flash i've ever heard.

It is truly sad that he has been taken, as there were certainly years of racing left in brocky. Bathurst this year will be a strange and alien experience. As has been said before, like Steve Irwin, he left us doing wht he enjoyed and did best, but still, it is truly unbeleiveable and horrific that he had to leave at all.

My best memory of brocky occured at Indy in 1996 - Brocky was racing the Volvo 850 super tourer, and was standing next to the car, in the queue of the competitors to go out onto the circuit. As always, Brocky was surrounded by a group of guys wanting to have a chat, but when he saw me (aged 8 at the time) with a letter for him in my hand (i wrote him a thankyou letter for signing an HRT poster for me which my parents had organised as a christmas present). Brocky excused himself from the group of guys, came over and sat down with me, read the letter and had a chat. In fact the officials had to tell him to get in the car for the race! But as he got in the car (still with the letter in his had) he stuck it in his race suit and did the race with it in the car! It was the happiest i had ever been in all of my 8 years of age!

All of the stuff people had said over the past year or so about his personal life is completely insignificant now. I'll remember Peter for his amazing exploits on the track(particulary his last race at lakeside in 1997 - last time i saw him race at the track), and that moment at indy - and how approachable he was. And i'm sure everyone would agree that that is what he'll be remembered for.

Condolences to Peter's family and friends.

Rest in Peace Brocky, we'll miss you. Hopefully you are somewhere now winning races.

Last edited by M-Kart; 8 Sep 2006 at 06:28.