Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Jan 2007, 22:46 (Ref:1813694)   #1
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Watkins Lecture

Surprised no-one else has started a thread yet, so thought I would.

So, what did everyone think? Was it too in-depth? Just enough? What everyone expected?

I hadn't been to a Watkins lecture before and personally really enjoyed it, I was worried it would be to the extreme of either too simple or too in-depth and to be honest I wasn't sure how "sharp" Watkins still is, but thought he did a grand job and was in-depth enough for me without being too much.

For anyone who wasn't there, he was introduced by Paddy Hopkirk and afterwards presented an award to James Winslow for his actions in saving another driver in Asian F3 earlier in the season.

Watkins spoke on various subjects including side impacts in WRC, HANS device, head injuries and the HIC, helmets etc (inc for youths), problems with karts and F1 cars launching, side, frontal and rear impacts in F1 etc and various other bits and pieces.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1815556)   #2
allanh
Racer

allanh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was informative and interesting, and anything would have been an improvement over last year. Well done Proff.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 10:25 (Ref:1815594)   #3
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought no-one else here had been for a while there....
Old 15 Jan 2007, 11:44 (Ref:1815643)   #4
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was much better than last year also found it a bit to in depth but some very good info given! Well done!
Old 15 Jan 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1815722)   #5
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't got over Bernie yet! A round trip of 150 miles, just to get wound up! Plus I still don't see the point of marshals attending the show, unless for something specific ie new overalls. Saying hello to someone on the marshal's stand apart. Hardly worth a day off work. Save your hellos until your training day - the main reason for me attending anyway!
That should generate a few replies!
Old 15 Jan 2007, 17:47 (Ref:1815846)   #6
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too enjoyed the lecture - lots of interesting stuff, but it was a little 'rushed' in places, and hard to even read some of the slides before they were changed (although this is not a complaint!).

I would like to thank MSF for their hospitality - coffee before and a glass of wine afterwards was much appreciated. I resisted the Mini print at the lecture, but when I got to the MSF stand and there was '1 left' I gave in!

Looking forward to next years already
Old 15 Jan 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1815957)   #7
Nick Kirby
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
Nick Kirby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
really good lecture, just shows the impact the Prof has had on safety
Old 15 Jan 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1816034)   #8
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert
I haven't got over Bernie yet! A round trip of 150 miles, just to get wound up! Plus I still don't see the point of marshals attending the show, unless for something specific ie new overalls. Saying hello to someone on the marshal's stand apart. Hardly worth a day off work. Save your hellos until your training day - the main reason for me attending anyway!
That should generate a few replies!
I don't see the relevance this has to the current thread.

This years lecture was back to the safety aspect and what the Motorsport Safety Fund is about. It was worthwhile for anyone involved in the medical/rescue aspect of the sport even if some of the maths were a bit heavy going Sid managed to bring the relevance of the information through.

I feel the lecture was worth attending from a rescue point of view even if most of the show isn't.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 12:36 (Ref:1816479)   #9
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Totally agree with Stoowert.

The only relevant day for us is the Friday when we can attend the Watkins lecture. What's said is usually applicable to us, if only for the 'other point of view'.

Race cars are meant to be seen moving at proper speeds, not on a display stand or in a hanger.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 15:42 (Ref:1816652)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely you need to understand the machine to be able to deal with it - sometimes you miss a lot only seeing a car on track. Not criticising just saying that I thinks its always worthwhile for marshals to get a close look at the cars (this is not the reason that on too frequent an occassion I visit the MP's!) Its a shame that often they don't get the chance.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1817859)   #11
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Agreed Sam, but I'd say it's better (and cheaper!) to wander round the paddock before/during/after a meeting to get a closer look at the cars.

I thought the lecture this year was excellent; exactly what I'd expect from a motorsport safety lecture. Every year we say we will go into the Autosport Show just to make the trip to Birmingham worth while.......it doesn't, in my opinion.

Rosie

(Oops. Realised I am logged onto Darrells account. Sorry.)
Old 17 Jan 2007, 20:30 (Ref:1817872)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellB
Agreed Sam, but I'd say it's better (and cheaper!) to wander round the paddock before/during/after a meeting to get a closer look at the cars.
If we get the chance, which is rare.

Many of the cars at the show are mock-ups, show cars, presented looking finished but not actually. If you could remember the detail of the car you saw newly presented at the show several months later, chances are it'll be different anyway.

More to the point, when FBMW introduced their much vaunted extraction seat it coincided with my only proper visit to the show. I made the point of going to look at it and asked the rep for details and the chance to get up on the roped-off car to see it properly. Not only did the rep know nothing about it, it wasn't fitted to the car on show. Added to which, they put various cut-off and extinguisher switches in unusual places, but they weren't marked on the show car and we didn't know about them until we first saw the cars in competition months afterwards.

For me, the whole thing is pointless. You can stand on a mock-up F1 grid. Why, I've done it on a real one. Before the FIA told us not to. You can see race cars standing still. I want to see them going, and if they're static, I'm probably pushing it or helping someone out. Part of your ticket pays for the live show. I don't spectate. The odd occasions I've gone to a race circuit when ot marshalling I'm like a fish out of water. On top of all that, having freely given my time to help all these businesses make money all season (and I don't have any objection to that) I don't really want to pay a sizeable chunk of dosh to go and visit them.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1817900)   #13
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Many of the cars at the show are mock-ups, show cars, presented looking finished but not actually. If you could remember the detail of the car you saw newly presented at the show several months later, chances are it'll be different anyway.
Yup - says he who pulled the towing/snatch strop off the Seat BTCC car at the weekend - oops! :-)
Old 17 Jan 2007, 23:18 (Ref:1818024)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LOL. So that was presented the way they intend to race it? I hope you gave it them back with a strongly worded letter of complaint about it not being fit for the task.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 06:45 (Ref:1818148)   #15
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
LOL. So that was presented the way they intend to race it? I hope you gave it them back with a strongly worded letter of complaint about it not being fit for the task.
Well, I was boldy suggesting the strop was better than the tincan fabricted hoops they used to have, as the strop would be looped round something substantial in the frame, and therefore would take more abuse in a snatch. One can be wrong sometimes
Old 18 Jan 2007, 07:56 (Ref:1818176)   #16
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmmmm, I thought I was posting on a thread about Sid Watkins but I seem to have stumbled accross a (misplaced) discussion about the merits (or lack thereof) of the Autosport show which, apart from the fact their both held in the NEC at the same time, have little to nothing to do with eachother.

Personally I've made the pilgrimage on 3 occasions now and I find it does exactly what it says on the tin.

As for the Prof. I found his lecture to be quite good, It focused on a different aspect of accidents and whats being done to protect the competitors in the event of a resonably serious accident aswell as looking at the scientific side of crash and injury analysis.

Maybe for the next lecture they could focus on circuit construction, spectator/marshal safety and maybe advances in medical back-up.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 08:19 (Ref:1818186)   #17
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood

Maybe for the next lecture they could focus on circuit construction, spectator/marshal safety and maybe advances in medical back-up.
would it be out of place for us to suggest some names for next year on this thread?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1818294)   #18
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
would it be out of place for us to suggest some names for next year on this thread?
Having recently read his book I would suggest Steve Olvey would give a very interesting lecture.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 11:56 (Ref:1818376)   #19
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not get Michael Schumacher....?!

Ok Ok its very unlikley but he does do some stuff for the European Union about road safety etc. I know during his time with the GPDA he was well known to advise on circuit saftey and car safety and needless to say he knows the Prof.! Not beyond the bounds of possibility....?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 23:22 (Ref:1818915)   #20
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
Yup - says he who pulled the towing/snatch strop off the Seat BTCC car at the weekend - oops! :-)

We broke four off two cars at Donington last year after they had decided to come and visit.

PJ

PS that's 2 off each of 2 cars before anybody decides to get pedantic.