Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 7 Dec 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2595645)   #1
euromarshal
Rookie

euromarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my plum pudding holiday

Hi everybody,

as my shop is closed for the christmas weekend I can visit the plum pudding race at Mallory again ( I did it in 98 and 99 as a marshal) , weather permitted I would like to watch as a spectator this time, I live in Belgium so I would like to visit a museum ( or two) on sunday ( and monday)as well .

Searching the internet I found some unpleased results : Donington museum is closed until further notice, Coventry transport museum has its top floor closed, Heritage motor centre is closed for the weekend, Brooklands is closed until dec 28th, Pendine museum is closed for the winter, Bristol industrial museum is closed for a few years , Whitewebbsmuseum is closed for the christmas weekend , and if I search a little bid more I certainly could find some more.

I visited Beaulieu and Haynes only last year which are open this year of course.

Can somebody help my to find a car, train, airplane , submarine,..... ( any technical)museum which is open and worthwhile to visit in the winter ?

thanks

Dick
Old 7 Dec 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2595672)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Imperial War Museum, Duxford - http://duxford.iwm.org.uk
National Railway Museum, York - http://www.nrm.org.uk

Both are closed 24/25/26th Dec but should be open Sun/Mon. as going to say that York is probably a bit too far from Mallory but as you mentioned Pendine that might not be an issue for you. Of the two I'd go for Duxford.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2595699)   #3
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
CJCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Dick,

if you are interested in Aeroplanes, then try http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/ this is a very good museum and best of all Admission to all areas of the Museum is FREE of charge!! there is a new exhibit opened recently showing different aircraft from the cold war.

The Museum will be open daily throughout December from 10am to 6pm apart from Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. The Museum will then close again on New Year's Day and will reopen on Saturday 2nd January 2010.

Hope this helps!!

ChrisA
Old 8 Dec 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2595959)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
What about the RAF museum in Hendon in my neck of the words, excellent place and on the site of a real old operational airfield (long gone) that we as kids used to race motorcycles on.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2596013)   #5
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCA View Post
if you are interested in Aeroplanes, then try http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/ this is a very good museum and best of all Admission to all areas of the Museum is FREE of charge!! there is a new exhibit opened recently showing different aircraft from the cold war.
Plus they also have the full-size Airfix spitfire model too, as long as the undercarriage hasn't snapped yet. For those who have no idea what I'm blathering about, search for "james may airfix spitfire" and you'll find out

Personally I recommend Duxford - I took my dad there last Xmas holiday and we had a great day. I spent a while chatting to a RAF old boy who flew Liberators in WWII - not many of them left now, either the aircraft or the crews...
Old 8 Dec 2009, 22:13 (Ref:2596347)   #6
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
www.brooklandsmuseum.com

The original motor racing circuit and steeped in aviation history aswell.

I doubt if they are open 25/26th, but they do have a big car gathering on January 1st, if you're still in the country and, not forgetting, there's Mercedes World next door!

Have a good trip.