Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Sep 2013, 10:12 (Ref:3297017)   #1
Keith Kehoe
Rookie

United Kingdom
Runcorn, Cheshire
Keith Kehoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton 31/8/2013

What a busy day at Cascades yesterday & other parts of the track.Never waved my yellow so vigorously as in the first XR/ Scottish Fiesta's Race. Damaged cars all over the place including one motionless in the middle of the track, When the scottish lads who had a 30 second split grid came barreling down the avenue heading straight for the scene. I thought there was going to be more carnage. Fortunately they saw my yellow and all managed to avoid the stationary car. Well done. No major injuries although a few drivers were a bit sore. The main damage will be to their bank balance repairing their cars. Well done to Mark Noble who I think managed to finish the first race, but had a mechanical at Lodge on the last lap in the second race..

Last edited by Keith Kehoe; 1 Sep 2013 at 10:15. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 1 Sep 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3297028)   #2
LandieLad
Racer

Japan
Tokyo
LandieLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good racing although eclipsed by the fly by of the Hawker Hurricane and the beautiful Avro Vulcan
Old 1 Sep 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3297033)   #3
spooksman
Rookie

United Kingdom
spooksman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a very good day with great racing going on. However we seemed to have a 'calm zone' placed around us at Lakeside, with incidents going on all around but no-one stopping to say 'hello'!

Mind you, I thought I'd turned up on the wrong day when it was so quiet in Chequers at sign on!
Old 1 Sep 2013, 11:48 (Ref:3297038)   #4
Mark Noble
Racer

England
Warrington
Mark Noble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Keith! Avoided the mayhem that was race one to finish, but the left front brake pad came away on the penultimate lap at Lodge!

Thanks for all the big waves at the end of race one! A one off at the minute but a great day despite the visit to the gravel!
Old 1 Sep 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3297039)   #5
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now then Keith, bet you were glad we practised vigorous flag waving last weekend! Came in useful yesterday then. No doubt your arms are still aching. Brtter than a work out or Pilates then
Thankfully, relatively quiet day at Deer Leap, glad we came now.
See you all soon.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3297120)   #6
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A big thank you to all the marshals who were out on the bank yesterday, it looked like it was a very busy for most of you. I only had a spin (well two really) to keep you amused, although I think a few of our other drivers called on more than just the flagging services.
Cheers
Steve
Mighty Mini #28
Old 1 Sep 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3297276)   #7
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Picking up from the Gold Cup thread, I assume all flags were "flourished"?
Old 1 Sep 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3297331)   #8
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
You would be better to ask Paul Newns @ startline who managed to put out a green in between waved yellow at Old Hall in & stationary one at Deer Leap. Methinks a case of mistaken identity!
Still, ,most were waved with aplomb and vigour.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3297337)   #9
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Bean' Broadbent View Post
You would be better to ask Paul Newns @ startline who managed to put out a green in between waved yellow at Old Hall in & stationary one at Deer Leap. Methinks a case of mistaken identity!
Still, ,most were waved with aplomb and vigour.
Yeah that was interesting, though by the time we spotted it in race control and started to call him (with the wrong call-sign... newbie radio mistake for me!) they put the green down and picked up the yellow. Though in fairness to Paul, he was covering both the Signal job, and the flag point which is normally on the pit wall gate and I think they did really well to cover everything!
Old 1 Sep 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3297529)   #10
HOLDEN RT
Rookie

England
chesterton newcastle-u-lyme
HOLDEN RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
like keith said it was a busy day. thanks to all the marshals at cascades,and well done to michelle it was her first full day on the bank.thanks also to Nadine for coming across from knicker to look after the drivers while we were cleaning up the xr/Scottish fiestas first race mess

stay safe andy
Old 2 Sep 2013, 08:11 (Ref:3297685)   #11
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A grand day but I felt like a spectator on Knicker In watching/listening to it kick off all around and waiting for something I could wave my flag at (vigorously and with style ). At least we did have a few "spun and continued" to keep us awake.

Overall a good day's racing and some excellent work from quite a few very busy marshals.

Steve
Old 2 Sep 2013, 08:13 (Ref:3297687)   #12
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You leave Mr Newns alone! But why is it that when you mess it up it is always in a very public position so you can't pretend it never happened (because no-one saw it)?

As we always say: "the day you go home thinking you've not made a mistake with the flags is the day you should give up".

And if you're on your own then you are invariably facing the "wrong" way. Been there and done that more times than I would care to remember.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3297695)   #13
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
You leave Mr Newns alone! But why is it that when you mess it up it is always in a very public position so you can't pretend it never happened (because no-one saw it)?

As we always say: "the day you go home thinking you've not made a mistake with the flags is the day you should give up".

And if you're on your own then you are invariably facing the "wrong" way. Been there and done that more times than I would care to remember.
Exactly! Although Paul did have another person there, they were both covering signal, and the flag point, which is a lot harder then covering just a flag point on your own. Especially with me whittering in their ears!

Last edited by chrisjt1985; 2 Sep 2013 at 08:39. Reason: clarity
Old 2 Sep 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3297706)   #14
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
An excellent day at Knickerbrook; apparently the chicane is now optional!

That XR melee at Cascades was one of those "glad it's not mine" incidents . . . "look, they've got a spinner . . . & a hitter . . . & another . . . & another . . ."; "that'll be a Safety Car, then!".

Anybody know what happened to Dave Murphy (car 89) in the Pre-90 Formula Ford race?

It's nice to know we've got one XR driver who knows the meaning of the black & white flag!
Old 2 Sep 2013, 12:00 (Ref:3297756)   #15
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for telling everyone, Mike. I cocked up. Simples. Soon realised when I couldn't see why you had a yellow out and looked over my shoulder. Need to get second pair of eyes for back of head for next week. Mind you, I've been doing this so long I should already have those.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3297776)   #16
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Paul no doubt you will be able to exact revenge on me at some time in the future!
Old 2 Sep 2013, 15:43 (Ref:3297854)   #17
Mark Noble
Racer

England
Warrington
Mark Noble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
An excellent day at Knickerbrook; apparently the chicane is now optional!

That XR melee at Cascades was one of those "glad it's not mine" incidents . . . "look, they've got a spinner . . . & a hitter . . . & another . . . & another . . ."; "that'll be a Safety Car, then!".

Anybody know what happened to Dave Murphy (car 89) in the Pre-90 Formula Ford race?

It's nice to know we've got one XR driver who knows the meaning of the black & white flag!
I should have known better, I know! I was nearly another 'and another' in that carnage but managed to sneak through. Driver of yellow car quite sore but ok and working out what can be repaired/ salvaged.

Chance to say thanks to flaggies for great, clear displays of flags (most of which were yellow!) and in particular the emphasised oil flags at Island in, sorry I couldn't make out who you were! Some of us took notice of it!!
Old 2 Sep 2013, 18:09 (Ref:3297940)   #18
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
Need to get second pair of eyes for back of head for next week.
Paul, when you work out how to get those then you'll be an instant billionaire - so I'll be first in the "I knew him before he was famous" queue

Seriously, they would be most welcome to us poor flaggies.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3297961)   #19
Paul Newns
Veteran

I thought I already was famous. Sorry, that's infamous!
Old 2 Sep 2013, 18:53 (Ref:3297963)   #20
Paul Newns
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Bean' Broadbent View Post
Paul no doubt you will be able to exact revenge on me at some time in the future!
If we can't take the whatsit out of eaxh other there's no point being there. It's part of the fun of marshalling.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3299519)   #21
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed it was a busy day for all concerned with incidents Shell took it's fair share of impacts with several cars finding the tyres between Island and Shell, not least the opoor XR2 driver who managed to do a somersault as it hit the tyrres but who did get out for the 2nd race (albeit not for long)