Old 22 Sep 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2545895)   #1
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Place to Watch on Brands GP

Hi All

Please be gentle with me as I'm new to the forum. I'm taking my 9 year old son to the BTCC in October and was looking for some guidance as to the best places to watch. We have booked camping with the circuit and having taken a quick look on the Google map linked to off the motorsport wiki I'm considering a walk round the track on Saturday to get the feel of whats happening and then trying to get a spot near Druids on the Sunday as there are facilities nearby and we can move between Druids and the straight behind on the GP quite easily. Any tips??

Thanks for your help.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2545947)   #2
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Druids is good because around there you can see quite a bit of the end of the pit straight and the loop to and from Druids.
But around the GP loop itself I think is great to watch from, you can get quite close to the cars on the inside of the corners and there is much less catch fencing. It's not really that far to walk from Druids, there's just a couple of hills to trek.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 13:35 (Ref:2545973)   #3
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yellowspanner,
The vast majority of the GP loop can only be watched from the inside, so you can't see that much of the circuit as the trees, also on the inside, restrict your view. Paddock Hill Bend, Druids, or the inside of Graham Hill (overlooking Paddock Hill Bend) will probably be the best places to watch with your son.
Having said that, it is always worth taking a walk around the GP loop, as it's faster, quieter (spectator wise) and you won't get the chance that often.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2546823)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowspanner View Post
I'm considering a walk round the track on Saturday to get the feel of whats happening and then trying to get a spot near Druids on the Sunday as there are facilities nearby and we can move between Druids and the straight behind on the GP quite easily.
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a good plan so far. Saturday will be relatively quiet so should be plenty of opportunity to wander round. If you've never been definitely recommend taking a walk round the GP loop, especially during qualifying. Couple of things worth noting - there's no PA system around the GP loop (there might be radio coverage that weekend), and it's likely to be muddy so take some good walking shoes.

For race day anywhere from Paddock Hill, Druids (infield and outside) and South Bank is a good starting point. Nothing wrong with going to the GP loop on raceday but you do notice the lack of PA more.

You can't get into the BTCC paddock but the outer support paddock will be open. It's worth having a walk round there on Saturday and get a close look at the cars.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 06:40 (Ref:2547139)   #5
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
Thanks for all your help - will certainly try and get into the outer paddock at some point, hadn't even thought about that. As for radio coverage will that be FM or MW?
Old 24 Sep 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2547171)   #6
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and it's likely to be muddy so take some good walking shoes.
Wishful thinking!!! There has not been (what I would call) a single days wet motorsport at Brands Hatch THIS YEAR !!!! Hopefully BTCC will correct matters, but having walked the GP loop only Tuesday this week I can confirm that my walking boots were mud-free when I got back to the car.

Make the most of a piece of circuit with little debris fencing. There will be a few disappointing surprises for speccies turning up next weekend with regards to new fencing, but mercifully it is still confined only to the Indy circuit.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 09:21 (Ref:2547219)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowspanner View Post
As for radio coverage will that be FM or MW?
It's normally 1602 MW at most circuits and 1269 MW at Brands but I have been to Brands on other occasions when they've used 96.6 FM. This year it's been down to the circuit to pay for it so it all depends if MSV want the expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio View Post
Hopefully BTCC will correct matters, but having walked the GP loop only Tuesday this week I can confirm that my walking boots were mud-free when I got back to the car.
It must have dried out since the weekend as I was there last Sunday and it was definitely damp underfoot. Not proper squishy mud but enough that you wouldn't want to be wearing your best trainers.

Quote:
Make the most of a piece of circuit with little debris fencing. There will be a few disappointing surprises for speccies turning up next weekend with regards to new fencing, but mercifully it is still confined only to the Indy circuit.
Noticed the new fence between the footbridge and Druids marshal's hut. If there was more I didn't spot them, but then I spent most of the day on the GP loop.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2547252)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Wishful thinking!!! There has not been (what I would call) a single days wet motorsport at Brands Hatch THIS YEAR !!!!
Does it just rain on me then? The first day of the WTCC meeting saw a good downpour and resulted in very muddy boots and also the DMN meeting on the GP loop saw heavy rain. The mud around the GP loop is also the sort that sticks and gets very heavy (a nice colour too!). Definitely worth a wander around the loop during free practice or qualifying - if you're out there for the races unless you've got a radio you can lose track of what's going on.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2547378)   #9
Elio
Veteran

BertMk2, I class a wet days motorsport as one which involves a good old weather front of slow moving rain giving a nice sodden day!!

So far this year all we have had is.... A DMN deluge at Spring Trucks, which gave a damp track for the final two support races (Legends and Ginettas). A bit of rain (if you had a downpour then it was isolated - no downpour at Paddock!!), on the WTCC meeting. And some "proper" rain which came too late in the day on the Aug 1st SPEED meet. Yes, Rods lot had a wet one, as did the final Caterham race, but 2 wet races don`t make a wet race day!!

Re fencing......

Any "regulars" will be rather dismayed I would think to find that the inside of Surtees is being SUPERfenced. I also have an inkling that the "gap" at Clearways between "Med Centre Bridge" and current SUPERfencing will be the next to go, if it has not already gone......

(I blame the Germans personally, but I have yet to un-earth the official reason). Enjoy what clear views are left (if any) next weekend...... (and start your letters of complaint to try to protect the Druids enclosure!!!!).
Old 24 Sep 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2547414)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Any "regulars" will be rather dismayed I would think to find that the inside of Surtees is being SUPERfenced.

I hope not, that's a great place to get pictures from.

Quote:
I blame the Germans personally, but I have yet to un-earth the official reason). Enjoy what clear views are left (if any) next weekend...... (and start your letters of complaint to try to protect the Druids enclosure!!!!
The DTM boys were being over-protective. As well as Druids being closed they had an extra temporary barrier at Surtees to keep everyone 10-20ft further back.

If they SUPERfence the inside of Druids they might as well just close it completely as there will be nothing worth seeing from there
Old 24 Sep 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2547422)   #11
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regards to spectating on the GP circuit, Paddock hill bend is a good one, as there will more than likely be a Big screen in view from there. I would take a wander around the GP loop (westfield bend is one of my favourites) on the saturday. Plus dont forget the free pitwalk on sunday

With regards to the fencing...( which i noticed last sunday) i cant say im pleased! Where they had placed it so far on sunday (i.e. on the way up to druids) seemed completely un-necessary. If they have SUPERfenced the inside of surtees, i can only guess that the inside of druids will be next...if the fences are being placed for safety reasons (presumably?!?) then the inside of druids is just as dangerous as surtees.

I will be there for the Bike racing this weekend so will have a good look at everything that has been going on.

Re: the reasons behind it...something to do with wanting a new series next year? or to do with wanting something back next year? (DTM?)
Old 24 Sep 2009, 16:57 (Ref:2547426)   #12
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
BertMk2, A bit of rain (if you had a downpour then it was isolated - no downpour at Paddock!!), on the WTCC meeting.
Re fencing......
Well, Friday evening i was setting my tent up at the time, it was definatly a downpour...i was relagated to the car! Then ventured into the circuit and the Formula master free practice was very wet.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2547428)   #13
Elio
Veteran

Well, the stansions were concreted into place on Tuesday. I presume the mesh has been added by now.

A friend of mine spoke with the contractors last Friday (when we were at the F3/GT Test) doing the Druids bit. They told him that they "had a bit to do at Clearways" and that was it. Either they confused Surtees with Clearways, or the final piece of un-fenced track at Clearways is also for the chop in due course.

I have a feeling that the inside of Druids will remain clear, for the reasons you state redshoes, PLUS, the critical thing, is that if a "stricter" International meeting comes to town the access via the footridge can be restricted.

I will try my best to find out why the extra industrial-scale current FIA-spec SUPERfence is going up. I find it VERY odd that work is being done during the racing season. I also find it odd that the work has happened at Druids (where DTM got picky last year and ordered the post-and-wire retaining fence to be changed on the Friday of the event!!) and at Surtees, where, as you have already stated, the DTM have a habit of stopping people getting close to the track.

Couple that with the fact that I have been told by 2 different sources so far that a new 3-year-deal has been done with DTM, and I have all but made up my mind as to why this un-necessary work is being carried out.

So....... enjoy that un-fenced GP circuit next weekend!!! And, should my previous paragraph prove to be correct, please, everyone, STOP asking for DTM to go on the GP Circuit!!!!!!
Old 24 Sep 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2547432)   #14
Elio
Veteran

Quote:
Then ventured into the circuit and the Formula master free practice was very wet.
Sorry, I was thinking of "Race" day. Yes, the Friday started and ended extremely moist. Still not a wet race meeting though!!!! What`s all that nonsense about Swallows and Summer??!!! "It takes more than a downpour in a DMN race, or a damp FMaster Qually to make a wet Race Meeting"!!!!

You`ll see, next weekend will have rain in abundnace!!! You`ll come back from the GP loop 2 stones heavier (1 for each sole) and with orange legs!!!!
Old 24 Sep 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2547452)   #15
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:

I will try my best to find out why the extra industrial-scale current FIA-spec SUPERfence is going up. I find it VERY odd that work is being done during the racing season. I also find it odd that the work has happened at Druids (where DTM got picky last year and ordered the post-and-wire retaining fence to be changed on the Friday of the event!!) and at Surtees, where, as you have already stated, the DTM have a habit of stopping people getting close to the track.

Couple that with the fact that I have been told by 2 different sources so far that a new 3-year-deal has been done with DTM, and I have all but made up my mind as to why this un-necessary work is being carried out.
Thanks for the information... i have now decided too!

Quote:
And, should my previous paragraph prove to be correct, please, everyone, STOP asking for DTM to go on the GP Circuit!!!!!!

Yes exactly!

Quote:
Sorry, I was thinking of "Race" day. Yes, the Friday started and ended extremely moist. Still not a wet race meeting though!!!! What`s all that nonsense about Swallows and Summer??!!! "It takes more than a downpour in a DMN race, or a damp FMaster Qually to make a wet Race Meeting"!!!!

You`ll see, next weekend will have rain in abundnace!!! You`ll come back from the GP loop 2 stones heavier (1 for each sole) and with orange legs!!!!
Nope, not a full wet meeting this year...wellington boots are being prepared!!
Old 25 Sep 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2548008)   #16
Elio
Veteran

Surtees SUPERfence does not fully join up with "GP Circuit" fence, and does not look like it is intended to. Clearly just in place to satisfy Indy circuit requirements for "safety". (That is as of this morning at least). If you wish to spectate/photograph without fence it will still be possible on GP meetings in the gap that is left opposite Post 10 (?). No work being done at Clearways just yet.

Returning to the GP circuit, and to restrictions..... Does anyone have any idea when or if the outside of the entrance to Hawthorns will ever be officially viewable from again?? A good spot both near Post 13 (?) as cars come under the bridge, and at Hawthorns itself. It has always been a bona fide viewing spot as far as I can remember, but lately it has been closed off. I gather that this was due to a handful of numpties deciding to cross country around the whole of the outside of Hawthorns and part-way up the Derek Minter Straight!!! 15 minutes worth of manhandling some "heras" fencing into place near the marshals post at Hawthorns would sort out that problem. I suppose I need to nag the circuit......
Old 25 Sep 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2548050)   #17
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Im not sure about the outside of Hawthorns...I agree with the reasons you put though.
I am now hoping that the fencing will be limited to the indy cicuit, and the GP circuit will remain 'with a good view'!

Thought i would also mention my dissapointment about A1GP not visiting Brands Hatch or Great Britain at all in this coming season.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2548621)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
IMHO the best view of Brands is high up in Paddock Hill grandstand. Having spectated for 50 and raced there for a few less years the present set up is probably as good as it gets to see most of where the action takes place.
OK the GP loop is fast but since they ruined the old Dingle Dell its like watching paint dry !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Sep 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2548644)   #19
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
Thanks for all the info. Plenty of food for thought. Can't wait and hope weather is good.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2548764)   #20
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
I guess it depends how much extra you are willing to spend. £14 in advance (and children have to pay the same) for paddock hill grandstand, and by now they will be booked to about half way/three quarters of the way down, i'd expect. (so not quite as good views...but still excellent!)
Old 26 Sep 2009, 22:29 (Ref:2548821)   #21
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Surtees SUPERfence does not fully join up with "GP Circuit" fence, and does not look like it is intended to. Clearly just in place to satisfy Indy circuit requirements for "safety". (That is as of this morning at least).
Both circuits are to the same circuit grade as far as the FIA are concerned (FIA grade 2), there must be a difference between FIA grade 2 and DTM grade 2 I think (there was a similar thing with champ cars but worse!)

As for places to watch I probably wont watch a single session from the indy circuit (too many people and a waste of a chance to see the cars on the gp loop, as you only see the cars half as much as if the meeting was on the indy circuit anyway). A good place would probably be paddock/druids infield/druids if you are bothered about commentary etc.

Its also worth noting there are no toilets or food facilities on the gp loop, yes that means we can't have chips at westfield!!
Old 27 Sep 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2549007)   #22
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given the litigation about debris fencing over the last year or so I'd expect to see more fencing around most circuits and it's not just a DTM issue.

I really hope the GP circuit remains untouched - one day I am going to get time to sit out around the back with a chair in the sun!
Old 27 Sep 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2549041)   #23
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I'd expect to see more fencing around most circuits and it's not just a DTM issue.
in the case in question..Brands hatch indy...i am pretty sure it is the DTM which is the main issue, not neccessarily the only issue, but definitely the main issue
Old 27 Sep 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2549051)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend View Post
Both circuits are to the same circuit grade as far as the FIA are concerned (FIA grade 2), there must be a difference between FIA grade 2 and DTM grade 2 I think (there was a similar thing with champ cars but worse!)
Something I've been meaning to ask, and I know we are getting even more off-topic; DTM is an FIA sanctioned[*] series so why are their circuit requirements different from the FIA's? Surely if the FIA issue a grade 2 licence then it means the circuit is safe for any grade 2 event, which would include DTM.

[*] sanctioned may not be the right word here. What I mean is that it is listed as an FIA approved international series and therefore ultimately comes under the FIA umbrella.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2549063)   #25
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The circuits are inspected and licensed by the FIA. Individual race directors and safety delegates may have their own views on what they think is acceptable or not and I think that is the issue with DTM. The problem is that once someone has said that they believe there is an issue with fencing then you have a problem as the test for negligence is "reasonable forseeability".

Plus the case law now says that it is not sufficient to rely on an MSA inspection of your circuit and to hide behind that in the case of an injury. It is for a circuit owner and an organiser to evaluate the risks and to make their own decisions so I imagine that all of the circuits are re-evaluating their spectator protection.