Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Aug 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3291973)   #1
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2CV 24hr

Does anybody know who is CM for the 2CV 24? Is it Pete Harding again?

Thanks.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3291998)   #2
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be Mike Whitney.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 17:51 (Ref:3292106)   #3
simon_blay
Racer

simon_blay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live in Bristol and am contemplating the trip for the weekend. Worthwhile?!
Old 20 Aug 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3292109)   #4
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
24 hr races are always worthwhile and this is the only one left in this country. It is also one of the friendliest race meetings you will ever go to.
See you there.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3292186)   #5
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval2 View Post
It will be Mike Whitney.
Thanks! Can you / somebody PM me contact details, please?

Thanks again!
Old 20 Aug 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3292188)   #6
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_blay View Post
I live in Bristol and am contemplating the trip for the weekend. Worthwhile?!
As WFM said, it's a great meeting, and I love doing it. Probably my fave meeting after the Britcar 24, and that's not happening this year .... and now it looks like I might not be able to do some / all of this one

Thing to bear in mind most, is that you might be 'stuck' on a post in the middle of the night for 4 hours on your own, but I was quite happy to do that. Usually enough going on, even if only radio reports from other posts, to keep you occupied, and last couple of years I've done it, there's been plenty of cars (was it 36 last year?)

As with all things, the best way to find out is to try it once, for yourself.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3292349)   #7
blueoval2
Racer

England
Sorry this meeting should be scrapped! Yes a few marshals enjoy it every year I have done it twice, but every year you struggle for numbers for one simple reason there isn’t enough marshals who want to do it. The support races are good and yes the night part of it can be quite enjoyable, but the Sunday just drags on too long. How long is it before there is a serious accident because posts are single manned especially during the hours of darkness?
Old 21 Aug 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3292382)   #8
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nice post....

Now I am no expert, but i'm pretty sure most if not all "serious" accidents are not caused by marshal posts being single manned.....

If there is a "serious" accident, I am sure the response would be the same whether the posts are manned singularly or by a multitude of marshals..... ie red flag and immediate dispatch of relevent personel....

But what do I know.....
Old 21 Aug 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3292417)   #9
blueoval2
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCRacing View Post
Nice post....

Now I am no expert, but i'm pretty sure most if not all "serious" accidents are not caused by marshal posts being single manned.....

If there is a "serious" accident, I am sure the response would be the same whether the posts are manned singularly or by a multitude of marshals..... ie red flag and immediate dispatch of relevent personel....

But what do I know.....
I was thinking more about a marshal getting hurt, i do actually know were most accidents happen!! so if you trip or slip in the dark on your own who will call for help.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 14:33 (Ref:3292422)   #10
Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I was thinking more about a marshal getting hurt, i do actually know were most accidents happen!! so if you trip or slip in the dark on your own who will call for help"

Ghostbusters ?
Old 21 Aug 2013, 17:34 (Ref:3292457)   #11
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Catching up - Yes the CM is Mike Whitney - I get the job of planning the shifts/allocation with Mike then, at the event, I will be used on the radio.

Thats the radio that is allocated to all posts and it is their way of contacting race control if there is a problem. They will also keep an eye on posts (especially if single manned) on the cameras and with timely calls.

Of course, the real solution is more marshals but that will only happen if more come along and then, with no single manning, even more will come.

Sort of a catch 22 here.

I may even get out on the bank myself this year as my new hips are allowing me to walk better - running might have to wait till next week.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 19:09 (Ref:3292490)   #12
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pete: Great to hear about your bionic hips.

Other Posters: You either do endurance racing or you don't. If not, then quit whinging about it and don't bother volunteering in the first place. And I don't expect you to ever do the Le Mans 24Hrs either, even though you would be missing an experience of a lifetime.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 20:38 (Ref:3292522)   #13
blueoval2
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Pete: Great to hear about your bionic hips.

Other Posters: You either do endurance racing or you don't. If not, then quit whinging about it and don't bother volunteering in the first place. And I don't expect you to ever do the Le Mans 24Hrs either, even though you would be missing an experience of a lifetime.
I wasn't whinging about endurance racing I actually like it having done serveral Britcar 24hrs, I was just putting my view across. Which is what I thought this forum was for..
Old 22 Aug 2013, 07:50 (Ref:3292629)   #14
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love endurance races, I've never done Le Mans, but I did do loads of the Willhire 24 Hour races [and the 25 hour in 1989] - Remember them? What an eclectic mix of cars we had!

Obviously 24 hours is not everyone's cup of tea - hence the concern on single manning. I was lucky enough to always be in the Pits, so loads of people around, even if when I was Chief it was more like 5 hours on and 3 hours off - but it was still fun.

But don't care.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3292637)   #15
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I wasn't whinging about endurance racing I actually like it having done serveral Britcar 24hrs, I was just putting my view across. Which is what I thought this forum was for..
This was just a general view of mine. And I'm as good at whinging as the next man - when I think (sorry, "know") I'm right. (As a female, I'm always right......)

So please accept my apologies for any affront taken.

But I still hold to the view that if you don't like long races in the UK then you should be forever barred from working at the best race of them all at Le Mans!
Old 22 Aug 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3292642)   #16
PSM3449
Rookie

England
Suffolk
PSM3449 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postie View Post
"I was thinking more about a marshal getting hurt, i do actually know were most accidents happen!! so if you trip or slip in the dark on your own who will call for help"

Ghostbusters ?
Don't forget all posts can be seen by at least 2 other posts, so hopefully if anything terrible happened they would call for help!
Old 22 Aug 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3292660)   #17
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
.... and now it looks like I might not be able to do some / all of this one
Scratch that, looks like I might be able to make it after all!
Old 22 Aug 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3292676)   #18
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
now all we need are tickets (oops did'nt mean to say that)
Old 22 Aug 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3292688)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
But I still hold to the view that if you don't like long races in the UK then you should be forever barred from working at the best race of them all at Le Mans!
If you think about it that's not much of a threat. Speaking personally, I hate endurance races (doesn't make me a bad person!) so I'm not likely to want to do one in France!
Old 29 Aug 2013, 07:51 (Ref:3295546)   #20
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Blueovals defence, I can sort of understand what he's saying although it could have been worded better. I've done a number of daytime meetings over the years where posts have been single-manned, and in my view it does adversely affect how incidents are dealt with, but night-time marshaling is a different matter. As has been said you either 'get' 24hr racing or you don't and in the Uk at least p*** poor manning levels appear to be be part and parcel of it. (anyone remember the the first Britcar 24hr? If you had three on post you were overmanned!). For me personal safety dicates that during darkness I'm not going to leave post unless it's mega serious. Otherwise rescue can get out and earn their donut breaks!
Old 29 Aug 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3295583)   #21
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
For me personal safety dicates that during darkness I'm not going to leave post unless it's mega serious. Otherwise rescue can get out and earn their donut breaks!
You can't do that on your own anyway; you'd have to operate the flags/light wand, and just call it in.

I did go trackside for a pull off, in the small hours, a couple of years ago, but there were 2 of us on post for that, and it was in a fairly safe place .... plus, I feel a bit safer with these drivers than ... shall we say some others. I've seen others go trackside in the past too .... last year, one ran wide at Riches, and rolled onto its side, well clear of the track... again, that one was double manned, and I was keeping an extra pair of eyes on it.

IMHO, single manning is safe if it's an experienced and competent marshal who knows when to call for help, but drivers are going to have to accept that there will be more SCs and stops, simply because I'm gonna call for help if I'm not sure that a driver is okay, or there's some hazard which needs marshals to attend.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3295668)   #22
blueoval2
Racer

England
As Cynic has said my wording could have been better and I know Peter and Mike will have marshals safety uppermost in the minds, all I was getting at was a person could trip or slip just while stretching their legs, and in the dark you can’t always see post to post but I know the radio checks will be very regular. I’m not a fan of the 2cv 24hr but a know a lot of you are, I hope you all have an enjoyable and safe weekend…
Old 29 Aug 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3295899)   #23
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As Cynic has said my wording could have been better and I know Peter and Mike will have marshals safety uppermost in the minds, all I was getting at was a person could trip or slip just while stretching their legs, and in the dark you can’t always see post to post but I know the radio checks will be very regular. I’m not a fan of the 2cv 24hr but a know a lot of you are, I hope you all have an enjoyable and safe weekend…
So lets say that motor racing should be banned because someone could, and often has, got hurt.
If you don't like it, fair enough, but don't say it should be banned, that's ridiculous. It is the friendliest meeting in the country and the marshals are treated far better than in most meetings. Those marshals that do 24hr races know what to expect and what to do, and I for one can't wait to be back.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3296076)   #24
blueoval2
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
So lets say that motor racing should be banned because someone could, and often has, got hurt.
If you don't like it, fair enough, but don't say it should be banned, that's ridiculous. It is the friendliest meeting in the country and the marshals are treated far better than in most meetings. Those marshals that do 24hr races know what to expect and what to do, and I for one can't wait to be back.
Now who's being ridiculous, i'm not saying ban it and yes it is a very friendly meeting, how about trying another circuit where you may attract more marshals. I enjoy endurance racing and yes we all know the dangers i have done plenty of 24hr races and have done this meeting twice..
Old 30 Aug 2013, 10:06 (Ref:3296103)   #25
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
and I for one can't wait to be back.
Can't make it tonight, but see you all at sign-on tomorrow