Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2002, 20:11 (Ref:339976)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Trulli a bit like De Cesaris?

Think about it. Andrea de Cesaris would often qualify very well, but in the race, he would often either crash or suffer a mechanical failure. I think Trulli's just the same in my opinion.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 20:26 (Ref:339995)   #2
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli doesnt throw it off the road or crash quite as much as de Cesaris did. But i see your point .

Funny really , de Cesaris spent his whole career gaining his reputation as a crasher , then turned it all around with a good solid year for Jordan in 1991.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 22:28 (Ref:340151)   #3
billyblister
Racer

billyblister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think trulli is a better racer than people give him credit for - he's terribly unlucky a bit like rubens
Old 22 Jul 2002, 23:11 (Ref:340181)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He is a good racer. And a damn fine driver. He is nothing like de Cesaris. But you have to ask. Why does his car always fail? It's getting to be ridiculous.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 23:22 (Ref:340190)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree that he's nothing like DeCrasheris. Trulli may be a decent qualifier, but he has yet to get into a car that consistently lets him race near the front, let alone finish. The comparison seems like a stretch to me.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 01:34 (Ref:340252)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trulli and de Cesaris is like comparing chalk and cheese.

de Cesaris' career was crash-filled, and he rarely spent more than two years at one team before moving on. All the time during the 80s he was the most 'feared' driver, not because of his speed, but because he could do the most unpredictable things when racing against him!

Trulli has just been unlucky. He rarely throws it off the road. 95% of the time he's robbed by mechanical failures. And he's never had a real decent car, or reliable enough car, to let him take podiums and wins.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 03:42 (Ref:340283)   #7
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't compare them,but trulli is rediculously unlucky!!
Does anyone remember the year andrea 'raced' for Maclaren?He wrote off a BIZZARE number of chassis.Was it 7 out of 8 races?...it couldn't be that many could it?
Old 23 Jul 2002, 09:11 (Ref:340394)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We had a bit of a Trulli thread recently, with some posters
defending Jarno to the hilt and other's more secptical.

I wouldn't compare him to De Cesaris, but the fact remains that out of the 15 points Renault have so far, Button has scored 11 of them. IMO Trulli has only gone to confirm results from previous season's, that for whatever reason he can't seem to get a car to the finish.

Which make's Briatore's decision to replace Button even more bizzare, and one that Renault may come to regret.

Do we think that Alonso will score more points than Button would have done? - if not Renault look set for a poor score next year, as statistically, Jarno is not a regular points scorer.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 00:55 (Ref:341267)   #9
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Give him a car that will finish a race and he will score consistently. I don't doubt it.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 18:06 (Ref:341796)   #10
Kretzman JB fan
Rookie

Kretzman JB fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't compare him to de Cesaris, but as a Button fan he frustrates me sometimes because Button is supposed to be the no.2 driver yet Button has beat him in 7 races out 11. If you give him a car that will finish I think he'll be up there with Button, but I think Trulli also has a lot of bad luck.

Hopefully next year Trulli will do better,because I think he is a good driver, its just that I'm a JB fan, and since he was unfairly dropped, even though he has had a better season than Trulli
Old 24 Jul 2002, 18:09 (Ref:341800)   #11
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli's just a bit of an unlucky driver. Also the type who has on and off days.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 18:12 (Ref:341805)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kex
Trulli's just a bit of an unlucky driver. Also the type who has on and off days.
But at that level, "off-days" shouldn't be happening-especially without the frequencey Trulli enjoys.

He clearly is a driver with a future, but that future is quickly receding into the past.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 19:43 (Ref:341907)   #13
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, EERO, you'd say his future isn't what it used to be?
Old 24 Jul 2002, 22:44 (Ref:342025)   #14
mac
Veteran

Trulli is suffering the luck of the Italians at the moment. The last 3 Italians to race in F1 have all had disastrous luck:

Jarno Trulli - his car simply cannot finish a race.
Giancarlo Fisichella - despite his obvious talents, he cannot get a decent seat to save himself.
Alessandro Zanardi - his '99 season was one of the most devoid of luck things I have ever seen.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 22:44 (Ref:342026)   #15
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to believe that Trulli had a big future in F1 but he's never really capitalised on his good qualifying performance. Saying that its just the car/team can't be true all the time?? Button (who I'm not really a fan of) is bringing home the Renault this year and HHF (who I'm not a fan of either) did a better overall job with the Jordan.

Button definitely deserves to be at Renault next year ahead of Trulli or Alonso.