Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Oct 2003, 03:00 (Ref:744721)   #1
rodrigomarban
Racer

rodrigomarban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrea de Cesaris

Today I read that he once pushed his car to the finish line after he ran out of fuel during a race. It's the first time I read about something like this.

I think it is quite funny, BUT:

Is it true?:confused: :confused:
Old 9 Oct 2003, 03:24 (Ref:744734)   #2
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know that Mansell tried it in the Dallas GP in 1984 but failed (has he lost consciousness?) and fell on the track.

But I never heard of de Cesaris
Old 9 Oct 2003, 04:20 (Ref:744761)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where did you read this??
Old 9 Oct 2003, 04:22 (Ref:744763)   #4
rodrigomarban
Racer

http://www.f1rogues.com/index.php?pO...pArticleId=152

Question #10.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 04:30 (Ref:744767)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks ! i never knew this!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 04:46 (Ref:744770)   #6
rodrigomarban
Racer

I checked the official results at grandprix.com and he is shown in 3rd place, but with the "r" for retired.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 05:55 (Ref:744790)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I don't think Andrea worried too much about running out of gas because most of his races finished like this
Attached Thumbnails
cruch.jpg  
Old 9 Oct 2003, 06:48 (Ref:744821)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remind that De Cesaris talent cannot be disputed, one of his major admirers was Ayrton Senna, who once said: I never saw anyone cornering Eaurouge like De Cesaris...
Ok, his self-control abilities were not as good, and he seldom could run a good car, but that'a another story..
Old 9 Oct 2003, 07:03 (Ref:744830)   #9
Don Rennis
Rookie

Don Rennis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pushing cars across the finish line is nothing recent at all, it’s been done many times in racing history. I do believe however it would no longer be allowed in these "safety before anything" times.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 07:12 (Ref:744836)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are lots of good Andrea anecdotes.

Niki Lauda recounts a great story of the GP at Long Beach (I think !) , when De Cesaris had gain pole in the Alfa. He duly sped off into the lead, some laps later Lauda was following and decided not to try and make a pass on the tricky circuit, simply waiting for Andrea to make the inevitable mistake.

Sure enough. Andrea came across a back marker who he felt held him up and decided to vent his feelings by gesticulating wildly, waving his first. Unfortunately, he should have been using that hand to change gear with instead, enabling Lauda to drive straight past as De Cesaris fumbled for the gearstick.

Poor old Andrea was downcast at losing the lead, and a few laps later the inevitable trip into the barrier ended his race.

He was also afflicted with a nervous tic. I remember in one of Clive James year end video's showing footage of cars waiting on the grid, they panned onto De Cesaris who was twitching and winking in his helmet..

However, he had his moments of great speed and drove some good races, all to frequently peppered with accidents and incidents.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 07:15 (Ref:744837)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What was his best result in the 7 up Jordan?
Old 9 Oct 2003, 07:21 (Ref:744840)   #12
Don Rennis
Rookie

Don Rennis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Straying somewhat from the thread, I seem to remember him being known as "De Crasheris"!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 08:46 (Ref:744916)   #13
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately De Cesaris's speed will always come second to his ability to crash in to the scenery, one way or the other he was always sure to bring excitement to a race.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 14:16 (Ref:745284)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
What was his best result in the 7 up Jordan?
4th in Canada- however he was running 2nd at Spa- until the engine broke late in the race..
Old 9 Oct 2003, 16:35 (Ref:745433)   #15
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I had a picture somewhere from when he was racing a Dallara in the US or Canada (you can always tell those races from the scenery) and you could see into his crash helmet and he'd obviously in mid-twich as both his eyes were closed.

I did a montarge drawing for him years ago of all his cars in F1 upto the Tyrrell days and presented him with it at Spa. Very nice pleasent guy and not like so many prima-donna drivers out there
Old 9 Oct 2003, 17:28 (Ref:745500)   #16
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Andy_b, I used to be a member of his fan club ADeC and he really took a genuine interest in his fans.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 17:44 (Ref:745522)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Rennis
Pushing cars across the finish line is nothing recent at all, it’s been done many times in racing history.
Indeed.
Now there is a question.....When was the last time we saw this happen in Grand Prix racing?
I remember being at Hockenheim in 1986 when Prost pushed his out-of-fuel McLaren towards the line but gave up. But was it the last time?

De Cesaris' greatest performances were usually at Spa if I recall. Leading in the Alfa in 1983 before it broke and also up at the sharp end with the 1991 7UP Jordan.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 18:00 (Ref:745534)   #18
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Thierry Boutsen pushed his Arrows, was it even points , somewhere between '84 -'86.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 9 Oct 2003, 18:31 (Ref:745566)   #19
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
I don't think Andrea worried too much about running out of gas because most of his races finished like this
Yeh I have a videoclip of that accident on my website. One of the most spectacular ones in F1 i'd say!

Andrea was "one of those" drivers! Actually quite fast but seemed to find the grass/barriers far too often, as in this case!

My memories are of Mansell trying to push his car over the line iand collapsing due to exhaustion in the 40+ degrees teperature!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 18:47 (Ref:745577)   #20
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jack Brabham did that with his cooper to win the 59 usgp at Sebring.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 18:56 (Ref:745584)   #21
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrea was a fine driver, okay i admit he had a few to many crashes throughout his career but he matured into a fine driver, his last few seasons, Jordan, Tyrrell and Sauber very quick and steady, it is said uncle Ken thought very highly of him as a test driver, as Andrew Kitson said Andrea had many good races at Spa but he was also very handy at Monaco, two drivers tracks if ever there were any.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 19:02 (Ref:745587)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
De Cesaris, from what I've seen on old videos, didn't seem a bad driver. He just crashed rather a lot. I know, that doesn't make sense.

He was a long time leader at Spa in 1983 wasn't he? Outdriving Piquet, Prost, Rosberg and the rest?

And his pole lap at Long Beach in 1982 was supposedly one of the noisiest in history!!!!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 9 Oct 2003 at 19:03.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 19:03 (Ref:745588)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He had some decent drives. A few prangs, but I mostly remember him while being lapped
Old 9 Oct 2003, 20:43 (Ref:745671)   #24
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Edmonton
Jack Brabham did that with his cooper to win the 59 usgp at Sebring.
Well, he didn't win the race - Bruce McLaren did, becoming the youngest guy to win a GP unti Alonso beat it this year -but it did win him the championship. As he has said, "It was worth pushing"!
Old 10 Oct 2003, 08:35 (Ref:746065)   #25
andrea
Rookie

andrea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by UkF1
Yeh I have a videoclip of that accident on my website. One of the most spectacular ones in F1 i'd say!

Andrea was "one of those" drivers! Actually quite fast but seemed to find the grass/barriers far too often, as in this case!

My memories are of Mansell trying to push his car over the line iand collapsing due to exhaustion in the 40+ degrees teperature!
UkF1,can you put this videoclip in this thread?