Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Oct 2002, 17:13 (Ref:393278)   #1
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A.M.O.C. Silverstone Last week

A wonderful Meeting which came to a firey end when Richard Chamberlins Porsche Passed the Pits with smoke and flames coming out of the rear.As we looked towards Copse a large plume of smoke billowed up.RED FLAG. Meeting over,but that apart a good meeting with some wonderful machinery.
Final AMOC Meeting 13th. Oct. Donington. I hope a lot of you will be there.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 21:53 (Ref:393490)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Strewth! That'll teach me to leave early. Actually, if the truth be known, I'd brought a non-racing friend to Silverstone in an effort to convert him, and by the end of the Intermarque race, he was about ready for a beer.

But I fully agree with you - AMOC meetings are some of the best events to go to. A wide variety of cars, from vintage through single-seaters to the real hard-core modsports. Good atmosphere, friendly, approachable teams in the paddock, and of course fantastic racing.

I couldn't help but chuckle this weekend, when the furore erupted over Ferrari's efforts to stage-manage a close finish, and comparing that with the cheering and shouting that was going on during the Intermarque race at Silverstone as the spectators at Copse willed Richard Chamberlain to lap the entire field.

And incidentally, I think my non-racing friend may well have been converted. The following day he was asking pointed questions about ARDS tests....
Old 1 Oct 2002, 22:53 (Ref:393534)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree - AMOC events are terrific.
At least some of these wonderful cars have been seen this
year by the modern racing fraternity at some TOCA meetings. Roger Bennington has done a good job putting these heritage races on as part of the BTCC support package.
I hope Richard's Porsche was not too badly damaged. Have seen that car so many times in various races from Intermarque to Birkett 6hr relay.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 09:59 (Ref:394766)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
its a pity that TOCA couldnt have been supported by historic saloons instead of hotrods though
Old 3 Oct 2002, 19:06 (Ref:395117)   #5
Quadrifoglio
Rookie

Quadrifoglio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see others share my view that AMOC meetings are the best kept secret in British motorsport. I always get to the Mallory Park, Silverstone and Donington meetings and I must make a comment on the excellent commentary team they always use. Both Guys are brilliant, with a great mixture of information and humour, if only other clubs had similiar!
The variety of cars is wondeful and the racing is competitive. Personally I think Intermarque is brilliant but the Aston race and the Anglo Americans push it close. My favourite car has to be the River Car which would be a brilliant question in a pub quiz as to the origin of its name and no doubting big Gerry gets the fave driver award, but he has for the past 25 years for me. well done AMOC keep up the great work.