Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Oct 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2778785)   #1
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Safety systems in F1?

I watched a documentary on the five human senses last week which also contained a section on military helicopter flight safety where they tested a device known as a tactor(s) which are worn against the skin and vibrate at varying intensities depending on what sensors are used and for what parameters. Every year the military were having chopper crashes soley from pilot error from having so many sources of visual information to compute and failing to notice one of the less obvious but equaly as critical height, drift or orientation resulting in aprox ten fatal crashes each year.

They tested these tactors in a helicopter simulator, flying blind and guided soley by the vibrating info of the tactors programmed in this case for height and side drift, the pilot easily suceeded and remarked that it was like having a 6th sense.

It got me wondering if there could/should ever be a place for safety reasons within F1 for a device like this when the drivers have such a limited view and such a large blind spot that they do not always know when someone is there... It might sound a bit ridiculous at 1st but I was thinking of the Lewis/Webber incident in Singapore in particular. The limited vision the drivers have is clearly a problem. Anything that increases safety is always good until it interferes with what the sport is all about.. I suppose it could be set up as a back up side radar to detect what the mk1 eyeball missed or wasn't visable in the mirrors.

See http://www.eaiinfo.com/Tactor%20Products.htm

Your thoughts?.. any other possibilities that could be considered?
Old 23 Oct 2010, 08:48 (Ref:2778798)   #2
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting Zico i can see this becoming adopted for all pilots, commercial, military etc. Maybe there is a market for this in Motorsport but i am unsure as to how succesfull it could be. Maybe you should try and develop it?
Old 23 Oct 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2778927)   #3
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the FIA felt the motivation to have something like that developed and made mandatory, they could also find the motivation to make bigger mirrors with a proper field of view mandatory.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2779101)   #4
Zico
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
If the FIA felt the motivation to have something like that developed and made mandatory, they could also find the motivation to make bigger mirrors with a proper field of view mandatory.
Couldn't possibly argue with that..
Old 25 Oct 2010, 02:36 (Ref:2779959)   #5
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this a form of cybernetics?
Old 25 Oct 2010, 15:52 (Ref:2780276)   #6
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Way too simple and sensible, this is F1 after all
Old 29 Oct 2010, 00:05 (Ref:2781868)   #7
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@ Zico

What was the name of the documentary?
Old 29 Oct 2010, 08:37 (Ref:2781962)   #8
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't want this in my Single Seater - you can pick up alot of things from vibration through the seat, don't need anything that could mask that?
Old 31 Oct 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2782885)   #9
Zico
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
@ Zico

What was the name of the documentary?
'Horizon, seeing is believing' The documentary as a whole is pretty interesting but the tactors part is at aprox 45 mins here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ing_Believing/
Old 31 Oct 2010, 10:58 (Ref:2782886)   #10
Zico
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jingles View Post
I wouldn't want this in my Single Seater - you can pick up alot of things from vibration through the seat, don't need anything that could mask that?
I can imagine... What about your chest area or sides?
Old 31 Oct 2010, 11:01 (Ref:2782888)   #11
Zico
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Is this a form of cybernetics?
Despite reading Wiki on the subject Im not really sure if it would come under cybernetics tbh... have a look at the documentary I linked above.