Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Dec 2014, 12:56 (Ref:3487394)   #1
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic & Retro Time Attack?

Hey Folks,

I think this is the right place to post this. Today the people that run Time Attack announced Classic & Retro Time Attack. Having been running Time Attack in the UK for the last ten years they are adding a pre-1990 championship to the schedule to run alongside existing Time Attack. It is run across six rounds in the year:

25th April : Cadwell Park
31st May : Snetterton
21st June : Brands Hatch
11th July : Oulton Park
23rd August : Croft
19th Sept : Rockingham

http://www.classictimeattack.co.uk/classic-retro-go/

The exciting thing for me and why I got Retro Rides involved is the open nature of the regulations. Everything is classified on lap times or potential lap times, so you can run everything from your daily unmodified classic up to full house historic F1, Group B, Supersaloons or whatever else you wish (does anyone have a Group S they want to run?).

Track time seems relatively good too with four x 15 or 20-minute sessions: Warm-up, Practice, Qualifying and the Final. Unless otherwise stated in the event regulations, all competitors will have the opportunity to contest all four sessions. Results are based on times set in the final session. Cost of entry for differing classes is available here : http://www.classictimeattack.co.uk/2...tion-now-open/

I thought it was worth communicating here as I know there are a few people floating around with some super interesting kit and some very very capable drivers that may want a challenge.

Any interest? Any questions? As stated above I'm 'involved' with this as I've put Retro Rides name to it and would really rather it went well and had an interesting array of cars.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3487426)   #2
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think an explanation of what Time Attack involves would be helpful.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 16:58 (Ref:3487429)   #3
HoTWire
Racer

Good point, I'll copy and paste some relevant bits from here : http://www.classictimeattack.co.uk/about-time-attack/

"Cars of each class are out on track together [grouped by speed ] for a set session time, either 15 or 20 minutes and generally 4 sessions per Round. In racing terms the format of Time Attack can be likened to that of a race qualification session but there are 4 sessions to enable drivers to get quicker and quicker, building on performance for the Final. Points and positions are awarded in the Final session of the day, but overall lap times are recorded to reward the quickest times set by a car during the entire round."

"To ensure the successful and relevant entry of cars and teams, our classing system has evolved into specific categories that are suitable to recognise differing levels of car, potential lap-times, modification and drive-line. This classing system encourages vehicles from ‘street spec’ to purpose built world class racing spec machines. Throughout the season lap-times are monitored and where necessary adjustments are made to ensure fair competition in all classes is respected, the quicker the cars go the further up the classing field they progress each season."

Basically your aim is to record the fastest lap for your given class. Classes are determined by potential lap times to keep things within class competitive. The lowest levels can be entered with a National B Non Race Speed license (no ARDS), the top level needs National B Race and above (and ARDS).

Time attack has been added to the MSA Blue Book as of this year.

The Classes :
All classes – cars must meet our Classic & Retro model age rules to enter [ Pre 1990 model cars only ]

TA Pocket Rockets [ Sub Classes : Forced Induction & Naturally Aspirated ]
Class designed for small cars of small engine displacement
No engine swaps, cars must retain original engine block configuration- open modifications and power
MSA driver licence level required : National B Non Race Speed Licence [ no ARDS test required ]
Tyres : Any brands – MSA Blue Book 1A list [ road tyre ]

TA Clubmans [ Sub Classes : Forced Induction / Naturally Aspirated]
Entry level category – minimal [open] modifications/power
MSA driver licence level required : National B Non Race Speed Licence [ no ARDS test required ]
Tyres : Any brand – MSA Blue Book 1A list [ road tyre category ]

TA Club Challenge [ Sub Classes : FWD / RWD / 4WD]
Entry level / progressive category, open modifications/power
Tyres : Any brand – MSA Blue Book 1A list [ road tyre category ]

TA Club Pro [ 2WD 4WD ]
Serious modifications/power and low lap-times
MSA driver licence level required : National B Race or above [ ARDS test required ]
Tyres : Any brand – MSA Blue Book 1B list [ road tyre upto semi slick ]

TA Pro [ all drive lines ]
Superior modifications / power / aero– quicker lap-times than Club Pro
MSA driver licence level required : National B Race or above [ ARDS test required ]
Tyres : Any brand – Slick Racing Tyres

TA Pro Extreme [ all drive lines ]
Extreme modifications / power / aero – the quickest and fastest cars
Tyres : Any brand – Slick Racing Tyres
Old 4 Jan 2015, 14:45 (Ref:3489861)   #4
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have some small interest in this new series from here.
How many cars on circuit at any one time.
Is there much overtaking.
Can we fit a 1600 x flow to a road going (taxed, MOT'D,fully trimmed) ford anglia 105e .

Help with these Q's answered would be a step forward.
Old 4 Jan 2015, 18:05 (Ref:3489891)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Time Attack is actually a pretty good idea.

The formula has led to some amazing machinery particularly in Japan and Asia, where it is almost as big as normal track racing.

It is a Japanese discipline really where cars are given a set time amount on track and have to find a clear lap to set the quickest, but like old F1 qualifying.

I think the Time Attack guys have realised there isnt enough going on with other stuff to intgerest folk. The main cars are amazing to watch, but there isnt a lot else to see in my view.

Think they got a big crowd at Brands in November? Might be where they think they can grow
Old 5 Jan 2015, 13:44 (Ref:3490071)   #6
HoTWire
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post
We have some small interest in this new series from here.
How many cars on circuit at any one time.
Is there much overtaking.
Can we fit a 1600 x flow to a road going (taxed, MOT'D,fully trimmed) ford anglia 105e .

Help with these Q's answered would be a step forward.

I'll ask the guys at Time Attack about the number of cars, although I'm thinking it'll be dependent on entry volume. Will get a proper answer for you though.

Again the overtaking will depend on the volume of cars going out, however it is my understand that the top speed cars aren't out at the same time as the lower speed cars, so you should be in a group/session that will be running about the same speed as you, which should mean not too much overtaking, which may or may not mean it is your thing. It is all about the lap time either way

Yes you can fit anything in anything. I should be competing with a Datsun Sunny with an SR20DET in it .. classes are based on lap times/potential lap times rather than level of modification (although obviously that has an influence on your lap time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I think the Time Attack guys have realised there isnt enough going on with other stuff to intgerest folk. The main cars are amazing to watch, but there isnt a lot else to see in my view.
I suspect you are right, at least they have a track for the whole day so mixing up the cars out on the circuit makes it more enjoyable all round. I wanted to get involved from Retro Rides point of view because it fits well with our penchant for sticking modern engines in older things, however I also realised there were likely to be some people that might like to try it on here, and perhaps some of the old Supersaloons may find a bit more track time out of it (the format is kind of perfect for them). As I say I'd love to see someone run an historic F1, or a Group C something personally.

Actually I wonder if some of the old insanity from Rallycross could do good things purely on track?
Old 11 Jan 2015, 17:02 (Ref:3491878)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went to this event at Snetterton a couple of years back and it was on track at least very interesting.

I was into track days at the time and the lack of trade stands was pretty miserable, I was expecting a lot more from that point of view.

But the access was superb, I spent most of my time there in the pits and garages poking around seeing what folk were doing, no snotty marshals, no stupid night club barriers, no jobsworths, was actually quite refreshing.

Cars were amazing too, just not on track for long enough.

Also, doing drift demo's was the guy you were all amazed at Goodwood, Mike Whiddett in the Rx7, and Fred Aasabo, two of the worlds best drifters, so the organisers had done their job getting nams form that scene there.

There just wasn't enough going on tracks, there were historic F1 cars, that was great. Civics, was dull.

So in my eyes they are doing the right thing, trying to get another type of audience. Not sure about rallycross, not the right environment, but certainly Bertha, a few Thunders wouldnt go amiss.

It was worth a visit, just a shame Brands was so cold and wet and late in the year, crowd and event looked great, was just put off by weather.

Might try Cadwell this year.