Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Dec 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1481418)   #1
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dodge Viper Comp Coupe FIA approved?

It looks like the Viper Comp Coupe is now approved by FIA for GT3 racing?
FIA GT3

I know there has been a lot of discussions about why no Viper Comp Coupe in GT1 but here it is in GT3? What engine are they running to qualify for GT3?
Old 10 Dec 2005, 23:52 (Ref:1481428)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
1st topic on Google for "Viper Competition Coupe".

http://www.vipercompetitioncoupe.com/home/home.html

Quote:
Engine
8.3-Liter, OHV 20-Valve SMPI V-10

Type and Description
10-cylinder 90-degree V-type, liquid-cooled

Displacement
505 cubic inches
Old 11 Dec 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1481451)   #3
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
So you are telling me that they are running stock Viper Competition Coupes in FIA GT3.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 01:02 (Ref:1481453)   #4
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
cars have only small modifications anyway .. and will have to carry ballast probably

Ciao Marco
Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:01 (Ref:1481462)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb
So you are telling me that they are running stock Viper Competition Coupes in FIA GT3.

Much in the same way that Pratt & Miller ran Stock C6.R's this past year, yes. Did you read the website to see how a "stock" Competition Coupe is prepared?
Old 11 Dec 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1481550)   #6
911 GT1
Racer

Germany
911 GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why not?
The allowed Porsche type is also a real racecar and not a street version. The Venturi Heritage is nothing else than a converted Trophy car of the mid 90´s. And don´t forget the Aston....
Old 11 Dec 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1481658)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems there is still some uncertainty out there over what constitutes GT3 exactly what did you expect? the Viper CC is a car from a single make series so they've made it fit in.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1481778)   #8
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
Well I guess I do not know what constitute a GT3, but it has to be homoglized any way right? So let me see if I get this right, GT1 & GT2 are street cars modified for racing and GT3 are purpose built racecars.

Were can I find the rules for GT3 I tried www.fiagt.com but I can't find any rules there.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1481796)   #9
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT3 are just exotic cars

Ciao Marco
Old 11 Dec 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1481798)   #10
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.fiagt.com/system/_downloa...troduction.pdf

I don't know if there's anything else official, but that's something. In this case the key phrase from that brochure seems to be "Cup of Cups". Various manufacturers will supply some "Cup" cars to compete in a multi-make Cup series.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1481829)   #11
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Well I guess I do not know what constitute a GT3, but it has to be homoglized any way right? So let me see if I get this right, GT1 & GT2 are street cars modified for racing and GT3 are purpose built racecars.

Were can I find the rules for GT3 I tried www.fiagt.com but I can't find any rules there.
No, all three are essentially purpose-built racecars. I'm not sure that there's been a car since the first Prodrive 550 chassis that really constitutes a modified road car, in any of these classes. They're just different levels of performance.

Come on, you didn't really think that the C5-R, DBR9, or S7-R were just modified road cars did you?
Old 12 Dec 2005, 01:15 (Ref:1481992)   #12
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
No, all three are essentially purpose-built racecars. I'm not sure that there's been a car since the first Prodrive 550 chassis that really constitutes a modified road car, in any of these classes. They're just different levels of performance.

Come on, you didn't really think that the C5-R, DBR9, or S7-R were just modified road cars did you?
No of course not, but they are originally design to be road cars, the Viper Comp Coupe are not. I can go into a dealer here and buy any C5,C6, DB9 or S7 and drive it of the lot. The Viper Comp Coupe is build by Dodge to be a racecar and can not be bought and driven of the lot.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 02:23 (Ref:1482015)   #13
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No of course not, but they are originally design to be road cars, the Viper Comp Coupe are not. I can go into a dealer here and buy any C5,C6, DB9 or S7 and drive it of the lot. The Viper Comp Coupe is build by Dodge to be a racecar and can not be bought and driven of the lot.
The C5-R was well known to differ very widely from the roadcar, this was the subject of a lot of debate in particular after the Saleen controversy concerning what an acceptable GTS car was.

The Viper CC fits perfectly in the mold of the cars in GT3, I'd scarcely say one can pop down to their local dealership and drive away in a 997 GT3 Cup, 430 Challenge Stradale, or DBRS-9 either.