Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 5 Jul 2013, 15:50 (Ref:3274321)   #1
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LMP1 engines (from 2014 to current)

The new regs allow for just about any engine provided it can get around the lap without running out of gas, so what do we actually know about who is running what next year?

Rebellion: continuing with Toyota 3.4l n/a V8 petrol (I think this is confirmed)
Toyota: petrol + hybrid system
Porsche: probably a small (2l?) turbo 4 cylinder petrol, + hybrid system
Audi: diesel V6? + hybrid system
Strakka: continuing with Honda 3.4l n/a petrol V8?

Any others?

Also, the rule preventing front wheel hybrid use below 120kph is being dropped which might encourage a move to 4 wheel drive for traction and weight distribution reasons. Audi will continue with their 'quattro' system. I wonder if Porsche will go 4wd?
Old 5 Jul 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3274331)   #2
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda will use a small direct injected turbocharged V6 derived from Indycar engine.
http://www.racer.com/exclusive-hpd-p...rticle/300655/
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...02029&page=182
Old 5 Jul 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3274337)   #3
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
...unless Strakka are allowed (and willing) to grandfather their current car.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3274357)   #4
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to see some variety though.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3274378)   #5
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Out of curiosity, we used LapSim to analyze the implications of the new 2014 Regulations for Le Mans. Will there still be a race? What kind of power plants are there to expect? Will the ACO achieve what they aim for? You will find the answers in the attached article, published in the february issue of Racecar Engineering.
http://www.lapsim.nl/assets/pdf/Arti...014-LapSim.pdf

2.8L V6T and 4.0L V8 are compared.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3274945)   #6
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always wonder why the Mazda/AER engine is never mentioned when discussing LMP1 engines, I'd think it's a pretty good option for a privateer? Not knowing how well it works with the new regulations of course.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3274957)   #7
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like Dyson racing and have for years, but seriously, would you trust them to build an engine for your team?
Old 7 Jul 2013, 17:41 (Ref:3274958)   #8
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I like Dyson racing and have for years, but seriously, would you trust them to build an engine for your team?
I know Dyson runs them but i thought they were built by AER?
Old 7 Jul 2013, 17:54 (Ref:3274959)   #9
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dyson owns AER ... and the engines haven't been bad since they strengthened the block for last season, but the team in general ... has sort of slipped.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3274976)   #10
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Oh sorry, wasn't aware of that. For example though, if I was Dome at Le Mans last year, I would've picked the Mazda option before the shake-to-bits Judd.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3274977)   #11
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Oh sorry, wasn't aware of that. For example though, if I was Dome at Le Mans last year, I would've picked the Mazda option before the shake-to-bits Judd.
Well, if you believe Judd's side of the story, they weren't the problem.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3274981)   #12
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Well, if you believe Judd's side of the story, they weren't the problem.
Of course there's two sides to those sorts of things and I don't have half the knowledge as most people here (which is why I love this forum) so I won't argue with you.

Really I just wanted to know if I had missed something obvious since the Mazda engine is so seldom mentioned.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 19:09 (Ref:3274993)   #13
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that. Next year will be a school year!
Old 7 Jul 2013, 22:35 (Ref:3275098)   #14
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Of course there's two sides to those sorts of things and I don't have half the knowledge as most people here (which is why I love this forum) so I won't argue with you.

Really I just wanted to know if I had missed something obvious since the Mazda engine is so seldom mentioned.
The great thing about this forum is that (90% of the time) we debate, we don't argue!

But you're right, we don't know for sure. However, while the Judd engine was no world beater and indeed it's kind of died a death in P1, Judd have produced decent engines in top-level prototypes since for many years now. On top of that, the DOME had a Judd stuck in the back of it before. I'm pretty confident that a fully functioning Pescarolo team, without living on the brink of bankruptcy and with more time to develop the car, could have got that package to be something capable of finishing the race.

Good point though, the Mazda engine is often forgotten, but I think it's overlooked by most privateers, and with good reason. It's not particularly reliable or powerful. At the end of this rules cycle, we've been left with no decent powertrain options for privateers, and that's why we have so few of them.

Let's hope things change for 2014.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 02:34 (Ref:3275177)   #15
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The great thing about this forum is that (90% of the time) we debate, we don't argue!

But you're right, we don't know for sure. However, while the Judd engine was no world beater and indeed it's kind of died a death in P1, Judd have produced decent engines in top-level prototypes since for many years now. On top of that, the DOME had a Judd stuck in the back of it before. I'm pretty confident that a fully functioning Pescarolo team, without living on the brink of bankruptcy and with more time to develop the car, could have got that package to be something capable of finishing the race.

Good point though, the Mazda engine is often forgotten, but I think it's overlooked by most privateers, and with good reason. It's not particularly reliable or powerful. At the end of this rules cycle, we've been left with no decent powertrain options for privateers, and that's why we have so few of them.

Let's hope things change for 2014.
Well, I wouldn't necessarily suggest that HPD is anything less than decent. It's fast and reliable... that's all you need for endurance lasting 6 hours or more. Of course, only one team is using it this year in the WEC (Strakka), but they've held their own against the Rebellion cars. Plus, next year, things will change...
Old 8 Jul 2013, 05:44 (Ref:3275214)   #16
ep16
Rookie

ep16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember, that Judd engine also had a habbit of self detonation in the back of the Oak Pesarolos aswell. Including at Sebring a few years ago shoryly after the car had lead briefly overall and was still leading the privateers. Think it went pop at Le Mans two years on the trot if i remember rightly aswell in the same car...
Old 8 Jul 2013, 07:27 (Ref:3275244)   #17
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Well, I wouldn't necessarily suggest that HPD is anything less than decent. It's fast and reliable... that's all you need for endurance lasting 6 hours or more. Of course, only one team is using it this year in the WEC (Strakka), but they've held their own against the Rebellion cars. Plus, next year, things will change...
Agreed, but the HPD unit is allegedly hugely expensive and only one team has used it without an HPD chassis.

Lot's of positive signs about next year, lets hope there are more engine options.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 07:29 (Ref:3275245)   #18
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Agreed, but the HPD unit is allegedly hugely expensive and only one team has used it without an HPD chassis.

Lot's of positive signs about next year, lets hope there are more engine options.
Wasnt the Toyota engine Rebellion use available to privateers?
Old 8 Jul 2013, 07:34 (Ref:3275247)   #19
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Wasnt the Toyota engine Rebellion use available to privateers?
I'm pretty certain it wasn't, happy to be proved wrong though.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3275267)   #20
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Exclusive to Lola chassis that is. But it seems thats no longer the case as Lola wont exist in the class next year.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3275375)   #21
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing I hope, is to see all engines balanced in the better way as possible. Diesel cannot be anymore helped by rules. Petrol engines must be as performant as diesel ones. This may attract more manufacturers interested in petrol engines. By now, with Peugeot forfait, only Audi has remained with diesel, and this can't be considered as the leading solution. Now it's time for hybrid (diesel or petrol), but all engines must be on the same plain.
I fear there will not be enough space for small engine suppliers, such as AER and Judd, because of the rising interest of manufacturers in petrol engines. That's not good. Small manufacturers have always been Le Mans salt!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 8 Jul 2013, 13:50 (Ref:3275395)   #22
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
The only thing I hope, is to see all engines balanced in the better way as possible.
Regardless of how the balance is going to be in practice, they are already better in a way because in the most simplistic form there is just one parameter to BoP. That should make the inevitable BoP much easier compared to the current messed up displacement-restrictor based rules with hundred other parameters (+ boost pressures, weights, fuel tank flows) which I think will be always inherently wrong. I also hope that if ACO believes the figures are correct, then they will be really left untouched too and not tweaked immediately once one manufacturer starts crying.

So, everything depends on if ACO's hypothesis figures are correct...

http://i.imgur.com/ckXfrOg.png

Interestingly as Bart Hayden revealed here, the 2% BoP rule has been omitted from the new regs:

"...the new regulations, and it isn’t a case of what it says, but rather what it doesn’t say. The current regulations have determined that a 2% performance gap is acceptable between the factory cars and that for private teams like ours. That regulation has been omitted for the new regulations, and by definition it is now regarded as unacceptable to have such a gap in performance."

I really wonder if that interpretation is correct (the leaked draft of the technical regs won't help here as the BoP rule was/is in the sporting regs), because that sounds really impossible to achieve. And imho generally lap times are just really retarded measure of balancing if the point is to balance engines only.

Quote:
By now, with Peugeot forfait, only Audi has remained with diesel, and this can't be considered as the leading solution. Now it's time for hybrid (diesel or petrol), but all engines must be on the same plain.
2014 force manufacturers to use one of the ERS options (see above pic). But you can't say just "hybrid" because it is not a combustion engine...

Last edited by deggis; 8 Jul 2013 at 14:14.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 18:40 (Ref:3275510)   #23
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I always wonder why the Mazda/AER engine is never mentioned when discussing LMP1 engines, I'd think it's a pretty good option for a privateer? Not knowing how well it works with the new regulations of course.
AER's new 2014 LMP1 engine is currently in the build and test phase. for confidentiality reasons its not appropriate for me to reveal what it is, but i am prepared to say its not an I4!......but they are doing one for sure.......admittedley i dont know who its for, but i'm told they have a customer, but i always take that part with a pinch of salt.......it cant be for dyson as LMP1 is now done in the US.......answers on a postcard please.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3275581)   #24
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Knew you would have some information regarding a potential AER powerplant, can you say if it is AER only or another AER/Mazda project?
Old 8 Jul 2013, 22:29 (Ref:3275609)   #25
pedrocor
Rookie

Portugal
Braga, Portugal
pedrocor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
AER's new 2014 LMP1 engine is currently in the build and test phase. for confidentiality reasons its not appropriate for me to reveal what it is, but i am prepared to say its not an I4!......but they are doing one for sure.......admittedley i dont know who its for, but i'm told they have a customer, but i always take that part with a pinch of salt.......it cant be for dyson as LMP1 is now done in the US.......answers on a postcard please.
Adess has said, prior to Le Mans, they already established a partnership to build the LMP1 version of the T128 Kodewa run with an engine specific engine suplier...