Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:38 (Ref:3221601)   #1
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the new 2014 engines be loud enough?

I understand that "loud enough" is subjective, what I'm really getting at is whether the level of decibels will be similar to that of the current V8 engines.

Personally, the level of noise and sound of the current engines create emotions that I associate with F1. I've been to 4 races to date, 2 with the old V10 engines and 2 with the V8's. Being at Melbourne last weekend and hearing the cars exit the pits from the other side of the circuit is something to be savoured. It's amazing that they can make the Aust V8 Supercars sound quiet and civilised.

No doubt the pitch of the engines will change from 2014 though wondering if the level of sound will drop significantly. I would think so given turbo engines are generally more quiet than their N/A counterparts. That said, I'm certainly no expert so would like to hear from people who know more about the topice.

Cheerio
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3221604)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Difficult to say. The old turbo engines sounded loud but then they were also pushing out outrageous horsepower in a very uncivilized manner.

We shall see.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:55 (Ref:3221610)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont have an issue with the engines being quieter. I find it crazy that nothing is done to make F1 engines a little quieter, not massively so obviously, but they are far too loud!

A turbo is a natural silencer to be honest and most cars that run turbo engines can run far less material to silence the car and meet noise limits. In drag racing for instance, they literally mount the turbo's outlet on the end of the turbine with maybe a few inches of pipe, it still doesnt sound as loud as a V8!!

What I am interested in more are things like turbo chatter and wastegate noise, I do hope that is allowed to be free as that was one of the coolest bits of the turbo era and sports cars, you ended up being abe to recognise a car by the chatter or the overrun!

I hope they do this properly, but I fear with the same ECU and stuff they will all sound the same!

I don't think they will sound like 80's cars, they had horrendous lag, huge boost, very big turbo's and very little in the way of electronics and turbo tech.

And in their heyday they used very special fuels that allowed the boost to be so high, with the mileage limits on modern F1 ngines that will simply not be possible.

But having said that I do hope you are allowed to run more boost in qually, and then take the risk, Prost never used qually engines as Renault and Honda did, and he did alright!

And I also wonder if there will be any provision for anti lag technology? This is very noisy in rally cars! But turbo's might have developed to the point now where in F1 at least it might not be necessary. Personally I would prefer it to be banned, and watch guys like Alonso, Button and Hamilton struggle with lag and dolops of power high up the rev range!

If managed properly by the FIA (God help us) this could be brilliant!

Last edited by chunder; 20 Mar 2013 at 10:03.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3221864)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
They should sound OK. They'll have to go with a six-into-one exhaust system, which usually provides a more high pitched sound than a six-into-two.

The new engines will also rev to 15,000 rpm, whereas the 80's turbos managed just 12,000 rpm, at best. The turbos are also limited to 125,000 rpm, but they will have very large turbos that will be kept spinning at high rpm (in order to avoid lag) by using the motor that also generates power for the batteries when the engine provides exhaust pressure to drive the turbo.

So, lots of stuff happening at higher rpm's that should add something to the quality of the noise.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3221895)   #5
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are they allowed to use an anti-lag system?
Old 20 Mar 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3221907)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I dont have an issue with the engines being quieter. I find it crazy that nothing is done to make F1 engines a little quieter, not massively so obviously, but they are far too loud!
surprisingly to me i have been hear that a lot lately. the loudness surely adds to the atmosphere but im not sure i would mind or notice if they were a bit quieter/lower decibels.

also a good point (also made earlier but cant find the post now) about missing each engine having its own unique sound. i used to really try to make an effort to pick up on that and would close my eyes to see if i could guess right but at some point i stopped looking for it. now that i am thinking about that i would say the individual sounds/character is more important to me than the overall loudness but thats not really answering any question anyone here is asking!
Old 20 Mar 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3221908)   #7
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see a reason for them not being loud enough...they are still not going to be 'normal' engines and I for one can't wait to see what they are like.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3221975)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Are they allowed to use an anti-lag system?
They will be spinning up the turbo, off-boost, with an electric motor. So yes, ant-lag is allowed.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 03:46 (Ref:3222073)   #9
IndyDonut
Racer

United States
New York City
IndyDonut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will never understand the noise concerns with the 2014 engines.
1) YouTube a 1980s F1 car video and tell me how "quiet" those engines are.
2) They'll be revving to 15,000 rpm (though they might stick to 12,500 because of fuel flow limits) and have one exhaust pipe chugging out sound (see: Honda's Super GT V8 car with one exhaust pipe).
3) The gear changes will still be there to give you a pounding sensation if you're at the track.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3222144)   #10
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember being at IndyCar on the Goldcoast in the late 90's early 00's and being amazed by the sound produced by the turbo engines in the Indycars. Loved the bang in between gears. Not sure if that was a release from the turbo or something to do with the gear box - assume it was the former.

They were super loud also, so maybe the turbo isn't going to quieten things too much. That said I think the were 2.65 litres, putting out about 800-900hp (if the claims were correct) and completely different technology so probably can't draw too many conclusions.

Anyway from the responses in the small sample above, it doesn't seem as though too many people are concerned by a drop in db's.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 09:26 (Ref:3222175)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Simple engineering really a turbo will always quieten a sund because it is a natrual silencer

What they do with it after the tutbine might make a difference yes, but the basic noise of a turbo engine is always lower than natural aspiration.

Maybe with a very powerful unit not so much as the forces and eberg involved make noise, but the theory is sound.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3222260)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So that will be the sounds of silence...
Old 22 Mar 2013, 02:52 (Ref:3222564)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfer View Post
I remember being at IndyCar on the Goldcoast in the late 90's early 00's and being amazed by the sound produced by the turbo engines in the Indycars. Loved the bang in between gears. Not sure if that was a release from the turbo or something to do with the gear box - assume it was the former.

They were super loud also, so maybe the turbo isn't going to quieten things too much. That said I think the were 2.65 litres, putting out about 800-900hp (if the claims were correct) and completely different technology so probably can't draw too many conclusions.

Anyway from the responses in the small sample above, it doesn't seem as though too many people are concerned by a drop in db's.
That was the waste gate you heard...
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:18 (Ref:3223087)   #14
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone here describe what the V10s sounded like in person?

How did they compare to the Mazda 787B?
Old 23 Mar 2013, 09:19 (Ref:3223114)   #15
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Can anyone here describe what the V10s sounded like in person?

How did they compare to the Mazda 787B?
Nothing will ever compare the the Quad Rotor 787B. Ever
Old 23 Mar 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3223122)   #16
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We hear this a lot whenever we go to a new engine formula. It took a while but we all got used to the V8s, and I honestly think the Turbo V6 will sound better but possibly quieter.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3223234)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I really like the whistle you get from blown engines; loved seeing the old 911 GT1s in British GT.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 04:05 (Ref:3223397)   #18
IndyDonut
Racer

United States
New York City
IndyDonut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJhwdy-J14A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lJMOXRe4Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOjaxYlKdSQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbKbg-Bg8mk

So quiet! /sarcasm
Old 24 Mar 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3223827)   #19
kartincolin
Rookie

Ireland
Cavan, Ireland
kartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first thing a person who attends their 1st Grand Prix is blown away by is simply how loud the F1 cars are when they scream by at 18000rpm. When entering the circuit, you can hear them in the distance and it is an absolutely incredible sensation.

The noise is such a magical part of the F1 experience, both Live and on the TV, and I really hope that for the sake of the spectacle that it`s retained.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3223871)   #20
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing is loud compared to a top fuel dragster. That said an article in a recent issue of Autosport says that the Mercedes is claimed to be a "screamer".
Old 24 Mar 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3223876)   #21
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
Nothing is loud compared to a top fuel dragster. That said an article in a recent issue of Autosport says that the Mercedes is claimed to be a "screamer".
I stood next to a top fuel demo run at the Clipsal 500 recently. No kidding about it being loud! I could feel my skull vibrating.

Video 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC5-...e_gdata_player

Video 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuNs...e_gdata_player

It was breathtakingly powerful.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3223886)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think F1 engines are already much too loud. It's obviously really difficult to hear your team radio.......
Old 24 Mar 2013, 19:09 (Ref:3223891)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartincolin View Post
The first thing a person who attends their 1st Grand Prix is blown away by is simply how loud the F1 cars are when they scream by at 18000rpm. When entering the circuit, you can hear them in the distance and it is an absolutely incredible sensation.

The noise is such a magical part of the F1 experience, both Live and on the TV, and I really hope that for the sake of the spectacle that it`s retained.
I remember standing at the exit of Druids at Brands Hatch at the Euro GP in 1986. The one and only time my ears actually hurt at a motor race.....

As to car noise, this has always been near-perfection for me......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcj9DVAM6eY
Old 24 Mar 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3224077)   #24
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From March '13 Motor Sport Matters of Moment column. Andy Cowbell managing director of Mercedes Brixworth high performance powertrain division says "'the frequency will be higher than with the v8s,'" he said. "' It will be pleasant to the ear, loud and sweet-sounding.'"
Old 24 Mar 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3224092)   #25
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
Nothing will ever compare the the Quad Rotor 787B. Ever
This.

The V6's in IndyCar sound just fine. I expect F1's V6 to sound more intense.