Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Jan 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3700578)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Church Corner Thruxton

Thruxton faithful to enjoy benefits of new-look Church

Work is progressing apace to enhance Church Corner at Thruxton, with what is widely regarded as one of the most demanding challenges in British motor sport set to be made safer than ever without sacrificing any of its unique appeal.
Following three accidents at Church during Thruxton’s BTCC meeting in 2014 – resulting in no injuries – investigations were instigated into means of improving the safety of the legendary corner.
After consulting with the various licensing authorities and the circuit’s landlord, planning permission was quickly sought – although environmental considerations meant approval was not gained until August 2016, with work beginning two months later as the initial phase of a two-stage process. This entails filling in an area of ground where there is a significant dip, which will result in the run-off being raised by 2.5 degrees.
Thruxton’s traditional pre-season February test has been moved to 20/21 April this year – a TOCA exclusive on 20 April, with the track opened up to general running for half-a-day on 21 April – to allow for an extra two months’ work to be carried out on the Church improvements. Phase two – which remains subject to additional planning permission – is scheduled for the 2017/18 off-season, to extend the run-off by a further 20 metres beyond the current Armco line.
“It is a massive undertaking and a work in progress, but that progress is now coming thick-and fast and we are confident that all necessary approvals for the second phase will be granted,” reveals Thruxton Group Managing Director Bill Coombs.
“We made it very clear when initial discussions took place that nobody had any desire to alter the corner or dilute the challenge of Church, but at the same time, it was evident that we needed to do some work on the run-off area and barriers at the critical point where those three drivers went off.
“I must stress that all three were unusual accidents in that it is not somewhere that competitors frequently leave the track, and there has never been any issue with the licensing authorities regarding Church – the changes are entirely voluntary and we have liaised closely with the FIA, MSA, MCRCB and ACU throughout.
“It is a huge project, but the bottom line is that once the work is complete, Church will still be the same corner and the same phenomenal experience for both drivers and riders – on a personal level, I’ve driven through there in my old Tyrrell at 155mph, and I would never want to change it.
“Church is such an iconic name in British motor sport and that will continue to be the case. We have preserved its unique DNA while making it even safer than it already was – and that can only be good news for competitors, marshals and spectators alike.”
For more information on Thruxton’s race meetings and driving experiences, visit: http://www.thruxtonracing.co.uk/
For season or individual race meeting accreditation, please e-mail: press@barc.net
Old 6 Jan 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3700601)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I still have nightmares about Church corner.. Back in 1979 I was racing in F4. For one race at Thruxton we were put in with more powerful Nonstop cars. I had a fantastic tow in Qualy behind such a car. Trouble was I was Arry Flatters going into Church up his gearbox and he then had a lift.It was like Mc Queen in the Le Mans film when he comes up behind the 911.Pulled steering round and ended up miles away in the outer field.
Driver and car survived after cleaning all the corn out of the chassis and engine. Happy days. Yes great corner.Great track and great couple of guys running Thruxton with Bill Coombe and Pat Blakney.
Old 7 Jan 2017, 19:50 (Ref:3700844)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"I was minding my own business going through Church in my Monoposto when all of a sudden this idiot in an F4 tried to overtake me through the cornfield!"

Seriously, I turned in at high speed in my S2000 once and found myself doing exactly the same speed - backwards!!!!! That concentrated the mind

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Jan 2017, 21:22 (Ref:3700858)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
"I was minding my own business going through Church in my Monoposto when all of a sudden this idiot in an F4 tried to overtake me through the cornfield!"

Seriously, I turned in at high speed in my S2000 once and found myself doing exactly the same speed - backwards!!!!! That concentrated the mind

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Jan 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3700958)   #5
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Those improvements sound very sensible and sympathetic.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 10:46 (Ref:3700967)   #6
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I had my first ever race at Thruxton in 1972, I spun off at Church on the first lap.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 8 Jan 2017, 12:58 (Ref:3701002)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I find it probably the most terrifying corner on a UK circuit. Last time I was there four of us were battling for position and changing places lap by lap. On one lap where I was leading the pack I got Church a bit wrong and ended up cutting the grass on the outside. Cursing about losing the places I looked over my right shoulder to see the other three had followed my line and we were all side by side on the grass much to the amusement of the commentator as I found out later, thankfully I rejoined the track in the lead again.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3701293)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aisle be blessed if I can see how they can altar the corner without a mass excavation, or why they aspire to do so. It will surely become a graveyard of many a hope, although maybe a perfect marriage between faiths can be consecrated.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3701311)   #9
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
You're dead right - but you're preaching to the converted.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3701314)   #10
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The death of yet another 'mans corner' after Eau Rouge, Woodcote etc
Old 9 Jan 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3701335)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I did a race experience day there in 1998, terrifying corner it was (and still is).
Old 9 Jan 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3701392)   #12
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
The death of yet another 'mans corner' after Eau Rouge, Woodcote etc
The corner isn't changing Dave, this work is to regrade the grass runoff to slope slightly uphill rather than downhill (and hence harness gravity to help to slow down errant competitors).
Old 9 Jan 2017, 22:27 (Ref:3701396)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Reading the initial post, it seems to me that the best way to make it safer is not to let BTCC play with it. But then that's probably true of most circuits/corners...
Old 10 Jan 2017, 14:18 (Ref:3701592)   #14
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletubby View Post
The corner isn't changing Dave, this work is to regrade the grass runoff to slope slightly uphill rather than downhill (and hence harness gravity to help to slow down errant competitors).
That's me off my high horse then

Like so many people of my generation, I really don't like change.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3701595)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
That's me off my high horse then

Like so many people of my generation, I really don't like change.
Personally I get upset if I don't get my change.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3701778)   #16
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Following three accidents at Church during Thruxton’s BTCC meeting in 2014

“I must stress that all three were unusual accidents in that it is not somewhere that competitors frequently leave the track.
That pretty much sums it up for me!
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 3 Feb 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3709036)   #17
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I still have nightmares about Church corner.. Back in 1979 I was racing in F4. For one race at Thruxton we were put in with more powerful Nonstop cars. I had a fantastic tow in Qualy behind such a car. Trouble was I was Arry Flatters going into Church up his gearbox and he then had a lift.It was like Mc Queen in the Le Mans film when he comes up behind the 911.Pulled steering round and ended up miles away in the outer field.
Driver and car survived after cleaning all the corn out of the chassis and engine. Happy days. Yes great corner.Great track and great couple of guys running Thruxton with Bill Coombe and Pat Blakney.
Not the only one Iain, my brief and indigenous racing driver career came to an abrupt end there in 1968 whilst running in a new engine in Quicky's E