Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23 Feb 2016, 08:07 (Ref:3616956)   #1
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is the future of NZ circuit racing?

Several things happening at once or in the very near future or recent past are probably going to have a massive impact on the local scene.

Break even for a grid at a national meeting locally, up until very recently, was about 12 cars at Hampton Downs and possibly a little lower at Pukekohe. but not by much.

Break even now is nearer 20 cars.

A 'safety levy' of $25 a car at HD after April 1st.

MSNZ race levy doubled from $25 to $50 and driver race licence fees increased considerably within the last year.

New ownership of Hampton Downs.

Pukekohe now charging the promoter for all 'garages' (sic) leaving the promoter to pass on the charges to drivers to try and recoup the costs ($100 a car per day last weekend = probably no profit for the promoter and a load of disgruntled drivers). Minimal paddock parking at Pukekohe for larger entries.

Trying to look ahead, and certainly given the average age of our own drivers being north of 50, there is going to be the dual problem of shrinking entries and rising fees.

With HRC Events now co-ordinating many of the NI meetings, there will possibly be a shift from classic meetings vs more modern/club meetings to mixed meetings with classes having no option but to combine, or face a massive spike in entry fees.

Just to put things into some form of perspective, an NSCC/ACC entry fee at my first race meeting in 1985 at Pukekohe was $25. The anticipated entry fee is likely to be about $450 for smaller grids and maybe $350 for those able to come up with decent grids.

Based on my salary in 1985 and at the same level of increase, I would have to be earning $371,000 or $477,000 today...

Motor racing has never been cheap, but there is a very real risk that the number of meetings will be reduced (some may see that as a good thing) but that being the case, track hire fees will have to be raised even further to cover the annual costs.

Where clubs own their own tracks such as in the south island, maybe no great change, but in the North Island I foresee problems looming.

There will probably be an increase in track days and a reduction in permitted race meetings, which may make some existing race series no longer viable and more cars being parked - permanently.

Anyone care to disagree?