Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Feb 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3801787)   #26
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzaan View Post
You said "GT3 is the better and fast solution", and I reply that solution already exists in Germany. DTM with GT3 cars will no differ from ADAC GT. Same cars, same tracks even same race distance.

Btw BMW and Porsche could enter about 12 GTE cars alone

You can run GT3 cars with a different format

Porsche and BMW with 12 GTE cars??
Ferrari struggle to field a car in IMSA, Ford it's unconfirmed if it will continue with the GT programme after 2019, Corvette didn't find the right deal to race the car in WEC so why or how could they race in DTM??

I'm sorry, for me we're talking about a "fantasy DTM"
Old 18 Feb 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3802202)   #27
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The support program lost the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland. They are moving to the ADAC-GT3 race weekends.

Only F3 and Audi TT cup at the moment. And at two racecs the DTM classics.

So it's not just DTM who's in problems!
Old 25 Jul 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3838728)   #28
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Thread bump!

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...am-entry-2020/
Old 11 Oct 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3856131)   #29
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, Aston arrives as early as 2019 "if all goes to plan".
Old 11 Oct 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3856134)   #30
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Great news! So the car will be a Vantage...any rumors on possible drivers?
I guess some Mercedes driver could find his place with Aston.

Definitely that's the move DTM needed
Old 11 Oct 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3856136)   #31
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinghio44 View Post
...any rumors on possible drivers?
I guess some Mercedes driver could find his place with Aston.

Thiim and Martin for sure. I don't think they'll have more cars - it's a private initiative by certain Swiss fans, as I understand.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3856141)   #32
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
Thiim and Martin for sure. I don't think they'll have more cars - it's a private initiative by certain Swiss fans, as I understand.

Up to 4 cars. But most likely 2 id day. Although from a intel perspective I’d say 4 makes more sense

Curious if they use the vantage or the DB11

Vantage seems small for DTM
Old 11 Oct 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3856142)   #33
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Quote:
It's the same team that run the Astons in the Blancpain Series. Thiim and Martin are also part of the GTE programme. But maybe there will be calendar clash...

This combo would be excellent in DTM, Martin has a lot of experience and he won a race in DTM with BMW
Old 11 Oct 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3856144)   #34
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kirchofer has been pretty decent for them in Blancpain, wonder if he’s in with a shout
Old 11 Oct 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3856163)   #35
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'd have thought the drivers would be current Mercedes DTM drivers rather than the Aston WEC drivers (particularly if they place some of them in British GT again - will that happen?). Paffet is off to Formula E with Mercedes - what's Di Resta doing next year? Aeuer could be a good shout too. It would make sense to use at least some drivers with DTM experience.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3856169)   #36
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I doubt Aston will be placing any of their drivers with the team. It's a privately funded team using the Vantage name and shape under licence. Aston Martin themselves have zero involvement with the project.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 22:49 (Ref:3856176)   #37
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I doubt Aston will be placing any of their drivers with the team. It's a privately funded team using the Vantage name and shape under licence. Aston Martin themselves have zero involvement with the project.

It’s a fair point, it is indeed a customer effort, but do remember Aston Martin place factory drivers in GT3 teams, so we may see a few of them here.

R-Motorsport have shown themselves to be pretty decent at picking drivers, so I don’t doubt they will find a good balanced line up.

I’d love to see Di Resta sure

Auer is definitely possible, Mortara id say is too strongly associated with Mercedes. Juncadella not sure, Werhlein is hoping to be in F1, having turned down FE. If that fails maybe he ends up in an Aston...
Old 12 Oct 2018, 03:52 (Ref:3856186)   #38
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Still seems weird to me that an Aston Martin Vantage can be classed as a touring car!

Nethertheless excellent to see a new manufacturer in the series, and the first non-German marque in a while! Onwards and upwards!
Old 12 Oct 2018, 04:50 (Ref:3856190)   #39
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Still seems weird to me that an Aston Martin Vantage can be classed as a touring car!

Despite the name, DTM has for all intents and purposes been a GT championship for several years now.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 05:23 (Ref:3856191)   #40
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
German sources say they beginn the season with Auer and Di Resta. Later joins Thiim and Martin.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 07:25 (Ref:3856197)   #41
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Kirchofer has been pretty decent for them in Blancpain, wonder if he’s in with a shout
Frijns shows GT3 pace isn't a guarantee for DTM front running though.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 08:06 (Ref:3856202)   #42
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Frijns shows GT3 pace isn't a guarantee for DTM front running though.
Yes, DTM is completely different and i guess drivers has to deal with a lot of downforce, that's the main difference with other touring car or gt series. And I'm not surprised that a lot of drivers described DTM cars similar to a formula with covered wheels. Frinjs got experience this year, and let's say it...Audi wasn't the best car. Only Rast has made the difference.

In regard of the Aston drivers, Di Resta was an obvious choice.
This Aston operation remembers me the Abt Audi Team that initially was almost a private operation, before the proper Audi team came.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3856203)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just what DTM needs at this time, another manufacturer, although Aston have always been more sportscar than touring to me
Old 12 Oct 2018, 08:36 (Ref:3856209)   #44
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
... although Aston have always been more sportscar than touring to me
Haven't those lines faded though? This discussion pops up every time a 4-seater enters GT3, I'd say it's not that black or white. Back in the seventies a 911 was considered a touringcar as well.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3856216)   #45
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
WRT to run customer Audis next year - and ROWE possibly to run customer BMWs. Presumably these are 'extra' cars - so the works squads remain the same size and we gain a couple of Astons and the customer Audis and BMWs - so the grid remains a decent size.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3856222)   #46
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Credit to Berger also. Before he came, DTM was almost dead
Old 12 Oct 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3856226)   #47
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinghio44 View Post
Credit to Berger also. Before he came, DTM was almost dead
Credit to Berger's friends, as it wasn't done anything to make DTM interesting for manufacturers. And Class 1 was the original idea from Aufrecht and Bandoh - no connection to Berger.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3856229)   #48
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Quote:
Credit to Berger's friends, as it wasn't done anything to make DTM interesting for manufacturers. And Class 1 was the original idea from Aufrecht and Bandoh - no connection to Berger.
He opened to the customer team and he decided to give DTM more european races. And he finalised the Class one with Super GT.

Without him, I don't know how DTM could saved itself...

What counts it's the result
Old 12 Oct 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3856241)   #49
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
So, no more confusion - "new" DTM: 2000-2019. A new name is set from 2020. New ITC?
Old 12 Oct 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3856256)   #50
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something about the Vantage doesn't sit right with me either. The series is synonymous with saloons banging doors, even though that's totally not what it is anymore. Maybe they'll enter a Rapide!