Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Aug 2007, 02:37 (Ref:1988081)   #801
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I hope he isn't pinning his sales projections on that prediction/fact!

Oh God, look at the book title too!
maybe he's james allen writing under a pseudonym
Old 14 Aug 2007, 07:33 (Ref:1988090)   #802
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb
maybe he's james allen writing under a pseudonym
You think JA can write?
Old 14 Aug 2007, 09:42 (Ref:1988200)   #803
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man this thread is doing my head in.

Can someone give an update where this is at.

BTW I think we all know what happened. I'm just chasing the other 600 odd post, post GP once we got over the incident.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 09:59 (Ref:1988226)   #804
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, just going back to the original topic, this is quite a nice (and fairly humour) impartial summing up of the Hungarian GP events...it's not exactly them hovering in the middle ground either, but not needing to put a spin on certain things or miss bits out for convenience...

http://f1rejects.com/centrale/2007/hungary/index.html

a classic case of how the average spectator can talk alot more sense than journalists sometimes

the most appropriate line about the whole episode in all the media coverage: "three wrongs don't make a right"
Old 14 Aug 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1988234)   #805
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella
well, just going back to the original topic, this is quite a nice (and fairly humour) impartial summing up of the Hungarian GP events...it's not exactly them hovering in the middle ground either, but not needing to put a spin on certain things or miss bits out for convenience...

http://f1rejects.com/centrale/2007/hungary/index.html

a classic case of how the average spectator can talk alot more sense than journalists sometimes

the most appropriate line about the whole episode in all the media coverage: "three wrongs don't make a right"
These 3 paragraphs isum it up for me. Spot on!

Quote:
The stewards' blind failure to see the common sense in this, and their need to intervene with harsh and arbitrary penalties, was disturbing. They were not entitled to punish Alonso's wrong without having regard to Hamilton's initial wrong, which itself could have cost Alonso pole. Why should Alonso's wrong have been within their jurisdiction, and Hamilton's not so? And even if they had to only punish Alonso, dropping him to 2nd was enough, let alone demoting him to 6th and punishing the team as well.

For this ham-fisted heavy-handedness, we give the stewards of the meet the 'Reject of the Race' award. Also for the fact that their intervention may have a critical impact on the championship. Hamilton has had things easy this year, but all the stewards did were succeed in making life even easier for him. Instead of starting 2nd to Alonso's pole, he got to start from pole with Alonso stuck in 6th! No Hamilton title victory can be allowed to go down in the history books without reference to this helping hand from the stewards.

In this writer's eyes, Hamilton's own reputation took a massive beating - seemingly within his own team as well as from the outside world. His childish, almost-in-tears indignation over the radio at the end of qualifying as well as in the immediate post-qualifying interviews, where he even started to sarcastically mock Alonso as if in complete disregard for his role in triggering the whole episode, reeked of a spoilt child who has been too used to having it his own way.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 10:14 (Ref:1988237)   #806
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Man this thread is doing my head in.
Mine too.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 11:50 (Ref:1988312)   #807
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In simple terms, the way I see it, what Alonso did was worse than what Hamilton did, because Hamilton disobeyed an order but didn't actually impede, whereas Alonso specifically impeded Hamilton from making his pit-stop. And that was probably part of the logic behind Alonso's punishment.

Now, enough talk about "fanboys" please- most people on this forum are actually very unbiased, and the place isn't full of jingoistic nonsense as has been implied.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1988357)   #808
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
In simple terms, the way I see it, what Alonso did was worse than what Hamilton did, because Hamilton disobeyed an order but didn't actually impede, whereas Alonso specifically impeded Hamilton from making his pit-stop. And that was probably part of the logic behind Alonso's punishment.
I'm not entirely sure we know that Hamilton didn't impede Alonso as we don't know in detail what effect it had on Maclaren's strategy.

The debating point though is what matters most, the action that someone takes (disobeying an order) or the outcome of it? Is Hamilton's crime less, worse or no difference dependant on the outcome of it all?

(does that make sense?)
Old 14 Aug 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1988394)   #809
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
If we must continue to debate this, here's another, considered assessment: http://www.grandprix.com/gt/gt19515.html
Old 16 Aug 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1990122)   #810
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
DC's views on the subject...interesting.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40345

Particularly how 'we' the public percieve the 'sport'.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 11:10 (Ref:1990141)   #811
pottiella
Veteran

yeah, I think DC's right about the transparency thing - too often lately are penalties dished out with vague explanations except "we saw the evidence, you didn't", and about rules that are ambiguous or out of the blue. This isn't a criminal court of law whereby there is a necessary level of discretion required for the protection of those involved. I think quite a few people in the paddock have been vocal about this; and of course Monza last year is till too fresh in people's minds.

If somebody has done something wrong worthy of punishment, then fair enough, but the authority should give some credibility to their authority.

He's pretty straighforward and right in my view, about the rest...
Old 17 Aug 2007, 00:07 (Ref:1990576)   #812
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This article is so accurate and sums up the situation to me.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61550
Old 17 Aug 2007, 00:40 (Ref:1990587)   #813
pottiella
Veteran

yes...another opinion from another ex-champ...always the true measure of accuracy
Old 17 Aug 2007, 03:54 (Ref:1990643)   #814
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually its more than that. Surtees know Hamilton pretty well from karting. Surtees' has been around the karting scene the past few years supporting his kid, Henry[now 17] and had plenty of opportunity to see Hamilton ply his trade at close quarters.

One important point Surtees made is that while Hamilton, Alonso and McLaren war with each other... Ferrari are getting on with things and if they can capitalize on the advantage the next few races bring them... could well wrest the title from the McLaren fold by year end.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 09:38 (Ref:1990807)   #815
pottiella
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Actually its more than that. Surtees know Hamilton pretty well from karting. Surtees' has been around the karting scene the past few years supporting his kid, Henry[now 17] and had plenty of opportunity to see Hamilton ply his trade at close quarters.

One important point Surtees made is that while Hamilton, Alonso and McLaren war with each other... Ferrari are getting on with things and if they can capitalize on the advantage the next few races bring them... could well wrest the title from the McLaren fold by year end.
that explains alot with that article then...thanks for clearing it up.

about Ferrari though - I'm not so sure if that will happen. Yeah, now we're getting to Ferrari tracks, they can't afford to pull stunts like they did at Hungary (where lucky for them they were so much quicker than the Ferraris in quali that it had little bearing except the penalty) - but I don't think they will because the consequences at Hungary were so high...on and off the track.

What's more is that Ferrari aren't exactly playing a team game between their team drivers - it's every man for themselves in that team too. Maybe closer to the time, if Ferrari get a whiff of the constructors they might make they're drivers play supportive to each other; which btw I really don't think come to that situation either Massa or Kimi will like it very much. Massa was happy to play second fiddle to Michael...he won't be with Kimi; and Kimi tends to become increasingly withdrawn if he finishes behind massa without either having a problem. Maybe that's something more to do with the relationship dynamics within Ferrari...who knows.

McLaren know fine well they're about to be hunted - otherwise I don't think they would have appealed. They will not allow their drivers to botch this up...
Old 17 Aug 2007, 11:52 (Ref:1990902)   #816
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
The Saint has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella
yes...another opinion from another ex-champ...always the true measure of accuracy
I laughed at your ridiculous statement, then realized you were being sarcastic.....duh at slow me!
Old 18 Aug 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1991182)   #817
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The Hungary points withdrawal hearing will be heard six days 'after' the espionage hearing.You can draw your own conclusions on that one!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61556

I suppose it would be a little bit heartless if you reinstated their constructor points only to kick them out of the championship the week after.

Last edited by Marbot; 18 Aug 2007 at 09:55.
Old 18 Aug 2007, 12:59 (Ref:1991284)   #818
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well the only logical conclusion is that the Stepneygate appeal was slated before the Hungarygate appeal. Its probably something called timing.
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:03 (Ref:1991289)   #819
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh there you go again being logical! Stop, you are out of line with the thread!
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1991292)   #820
LadySnowcat
Rookie

LadySnowcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the most interesting aspects is that the press will be allowed to the Pitlanegate appeal....

It will be interesting to find out who they accredit...

Brits versus Italians...

Hmmm....
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1991293)   #821
Datsun
Rookie

United States
Rhode Island
Datsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also agree with D.C.'s "transparency" comment. It is the FIA that must be transparent, not the teams (which is exactly what McLaren's points were withheld for, not being "transparent").

Unfortunately, the public (in this country anyway) seem to have more and more a taste for a society in which the AUTHORITIES are allowed to be inscrutible, while the citizens (or rather, SUBJECTS) are forced to be "transparent"...
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:30 (Ref:1991310)   #822
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well if you go that far we'll wait until the last minute and unleash THE SUN on the procedings.

*sits back with a "top that you *******" grin on his face.*
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:34 (Ref:1991314)   #823
LadySnowcat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Well if you go that far we'll wait until the last minute and unleash THE SUN on the procedings.

*sits back with a "top that you *******" grin on his face.*
I guess that depends on who The Sun send...

Someone from the back pages...

Or the inside front?....
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1991321)   #824
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No good sending anyone from the back pages. Too many balls.
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1991325)   #825
LadySnowcat
Rookie

On the other hand we also wouldn't want things to be blown up out of proportion....

Always a problem near the front of the Sun....