Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2010, 08:03 (Ref:2738612)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chef What if F1 had Standard Chassis?

Here's something to toss up and think about... A what if, if you please...

If F1 switched to standard chassis like Indy Car has, but allows teams to develop their own engines and aero kits to save costs, do you think this would go down well with the teams and the fans?

2012 Indy Car idea just to give you an idea.

Last edited by I Rosputnik; 3 Aug 2010 at 08:11.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2738676)   #2
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 3 Aug 2010, 10:59 (Ref:2738683)   #3
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering how well it's going down with Indycar fans (all three of them that are left), I doubt it.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2738686)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In answer to the question: It would lose all of its teams.

I'm currently seeing a sort of FPA on steroids. Not good.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2738688)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
F1 chassis are pretty much spec anyway. The devil is in the detail, as Martin Whitmarsh will no doubt tell you at great length. Unfortunately these 'details' often require an entirely new chassis to be built in order to incorporate them!

Standard chassis? Yes, why not. Not all will agree though. But if you knew just how much energy a wind tunnel took out of the local power supply, you might then think otherwise. That is the part of the sport that definitely is not green!
Old 3 Aug 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2738696)   #6
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That whole fan incorporanting thing certainly is a great desperate idea. I volunteer to design the new Ferrari car!
Old 3 Aug 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2738697)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No thanks. It has ruined American Open Wheel and would ruin F1.

Keep the windtunnels switched on.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2738703)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
F1 chassis are pretty much spec anyway. The devil is in the detail, as Martin Whitmarsh will no doubt tell you at great length. Unfortunately these 'details' often require an entirely new chassis to be built in order to incorporate them!!
That's a good argument for opening up the regs.

Quote:
But if you knew just how much energy a wind tunnel took out of the local power supply, you might then think otherwise. That is the part of the sport that definitely is not green!
I don't care.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2738709)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

Keep the windtunnels switched on.
And to hell with the planet!

And I don't think that it was particularly one make chassis that ruined open wheel racing in America. Politics was more to blame I think. Which seems to be doing its damndest to ruin F1.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 12:11 (Ref:2738721)   #10
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We need the opposite: that other formulae (specially IndyCars) had the possibility to choice at least between two different chassis designs. The spec-mania has taken over almost all the formula spectre.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 12:17 (Ref:2738725)   #11
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I don't care.
I don't care even more!

Green racing...green F1 with teams flying in jets all over the planet...

Watch the sport of kings if the lack of greeness in motorsport bothers you.

Saving money...new or modified regs every season requiring tons of research and cash...not to mention new races even further away...F1 saving money...that's even funnier...
Old 3 Aug 2010, 12:17 (Ref:2738726)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
'Double diffuser', 'F-duct', 'Blown exhaust'... all socially useless developments that have cost millions have done little to improve the spectacle and are understood by nobody outside of us anoraks !

If F1 had a standard car it would save a fortune in wasteful development - but to do that, its not the chassis that needs to be standard, its the aero envelope in which its contained. In the interests of common sense, I would provide all teams with a standard aero package and free up the non-aero development. Granted, there'd be plenty of aerodynamicists on the dole and more than one wind tunnel on eBay, but what the hell.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2738727)   #13
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
'Double diffuser', 'F-duct', 'Blown exhaust'... all socially useless developments that have cost millions have done little to improve the spectacle and are understood by nobody outside of us anoraks !
Hurray! Let's target everything at the lowest common denominator.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2738728)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I don't care.
Me neither, but that's the problem, apparently.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2738736)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And to hell with the planet!

And I don't think that it was particularly one make chassis that ruined open wheel racing in America. Politics was more to blame I think. Which seems to be doing its damndest to ruin F1.

Politics initially yes, but it was still a spectacle. Well CART at least.

Look at the golden era of any series and you will see that multiple manufacturers of engines, tyres and chassis are at the core. It brings fierce competition and big name drivers into the mix.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2738737)   #16
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Old 3 Aug 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2738740)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No thanks.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2738758)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's already going in that direction.
Just look at the "going green" obsession in motorsports these days, just to satisfy the treehugging idiots.

Doesn't even have to make sense, like a 747 blowing more fuel during takeoff than an entire season of F1 racing, F1 clearly is the one that has to make the effort to those hippie lunatics.

Whups, sorry for the rant.

About the matter of a spec F1 chassis, **** off.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2738780)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
It's already going in that direction.
Just look at the "going green" obsession in motorsports these days, just to satisfy the treehugging idiots.
Maybe you're right. But maybe a few people in Pakistan right now would disagree with you there, and maybe the dullest July on record in the UK is merely coincidence. Maybe there isn't actually a greater concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere at present? Maybe it's just that more cows are farting more? Maybe.

By the way, I like trees, but I'm no "treehugging idiot"'.

Quote:
Doesn't even have to make sense, like a 747 blowing more fuel during takeoff than an entire season of F1 racing, F1 clearly is the one that has to make the effort to those hippie lunatics.
747's don't have to justify their existence quite so much as F1 does.

And "hippie lunatics" are not the only people that some effort has to be made for.

Quote:
Whups, sorry for the rant.
No prob.

Quote:
About the matter of a spec F1 chassis, **** off.
Don't they all look the same anyway these days?
Old 3 Aug 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2738788)   #20
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont like the idea

I like to think F1 is an engineering competition, not just drivers
Old 3 Aug 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2738797)   #21
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belatti View Post
dont like the idea

I like to think F1 is an engineering competition, not just drivers
And I like to think Pamela Anderson's rack and pinion came standard...

If you think about where the development is in a Formula 1 car, it's the aero. The monocoque, suspension, air intakes and the like are pretty much standard. It's the skin that wraps around all of that which the most of the development goes on.

Looking at the images in the article on the IndyCar situation, it would be highly feasible to develop a cost effective monocoque that could then have any number of aerodynamic packages put onto it.

The time and money spent on ensuring that the monocoque was going to pass impact tests and the like could be spent elsewhere. Teams would be know in advance what they have to work with and could design a car around the monocoque, which is already done now.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2738801)   #22
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd still watch because it's racing.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2738806)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I'd still watch because it's racing.
There seems to be some difficulty with that at the moment. On both political and technical levels.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 17:55 (Ref:2738891)   #24
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
If you think about where the development is in a Formula 1 car, it's the aero. The monocoque, suspension, air intakes and the like are pretty much standard. It's the skin that wraps around all of that which the most of the development goes on.
Cant share you opinion. Check Indy: all teams have the same aero package and there are 3-4 secs from top to bottom. You cant say that those secs are 100% driving (except Milka )

In F1 as in every race car, suspension tunning and geometries evolves race after race and the understanding of the tyre and the track is fundamental there.

Air intakes are far from being standard as they are part of the aerodynamics. If you dont believe it, just watch close pics of the Red Bull air intakes and internals and compare them to the ones like McLaren, Ferrari or Mercedes...

An egnineering competition is what makes possible to drivers like Barrichello or Webber to win several races and drivers like Alonso in 2009 or Schumacher in 2005 not to score a single win.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2738937)   #25
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree there does need to be some standardisation, but not a total standard chassis. That would be too far. The cars at least need to look different from a head-on angle. But other than that, I'd in favour of standard front and rear wings, a standard rear end and heavier restrictions in other parts in order to help overtaking and bring costs down