Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Oct 2015, 10:11 (Ref:3578552)   #26
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It's the BRDC Annual General Meeting today, maybe we will see/hear an announcement from Silverstone later?
Who knows. If I were in their seat I would approach BE and BGP differently.

Part of the problem the BE has with the BRDC I feel is that they always have their hand out along with numerous 'masterplans'. Everyone with half an idea knew that the BGP contract was unaffordable the day they signed it.

So I would go to BE with a more commercial face on and instead of asking for help, ask for some of the other rights around the GP to be given to by FOM to Silverstone to sell themselves. I would try and obtain the naming rights to the race and the trackside income with the opportunity to sell extra trackside space. By doing this, it would present Silverstone as more commercial and they would have to earn the money through commercial nous.

It's not just the fee to FOM, it's the fact that the revenue streams to meet this are so limited - ticket sales and a bit of hospitality/trade stand income.
Old 3 Dec 2015, 11:57 (Ref:3595183)   #27
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its seems like Jaguar/LandRover (Tata) are interested in buying Silverstone. I wonder what that could mean for Silverstone. (A decent off road course perhaps?)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122115
Old 11 Dec 2015, 10:28 (Ref:3597039)   #28
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Its seems like Jaguar/LandRover (Tata) are interested in buying Silverstone. I wonder what that could mean for Silverstone. (A decent off road course perhaps?)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122115

This sounds the most practicable, viable and best potential new owners I've heard. Honda of course own Suzuka and Toyota Fuji, so car makers owning F1 circuits is a trodden path.

Looks an ideal new owner to me, in many ways.
Old 11 Dec 2015, 12:38 (Ref:3597063)   #29
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
This sounds the most practicable, viable and best potential new owners I've heard. Honda of course own Suzuka and Toyota Fuji, so car makers owning F1 circuits is a trodden path.

Looks an ideal new owner to me, in many ways.
Yes, sounds good to me. Autocar print copy has a piece on it, suggesting BRDC would become a tenant and Silverstone Circuits still run the track operations. Jag would want to have a heritage centre, museum, new car handover building, hotel etc. for their purposes.

Two thoughts- first, would they be willing to continue hosting the loss making Grand Prix, and what would happen to the Porsche Experience Centre set up at Stowe?
Old 11 Dec 2015, 12:41 (Ref:3597064)   #30
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It could move to Kyalami, as Porsche own it but I suspect that would be a bit far to bring British residents.
Old 11 Dec 2015, 13:23 (Ref:3597073)   #31
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, sounds good to me. Autocar print copy has a piece on it, suggesting BRDC would become a tenant and Silverstone Circuits still run the track operations. Jag would want to have a heritage centre, museum, new car handover building, hotel etc. for their purposes.

Two thoughts- first, would they be willing to continue hosting the loss making Grand Prix, and what would happen to the Porsche Experience Centre set up at Stowe?
They could continue to run the (Jaguar Land Rover) British Grand Prix, tat would be great publicity/kudos for the company. Plus, the Porsche Experience could quite easily become the Jaguar Experience with a also maybe an additional off-road course for the land Rover experience...
Old 11 Dec 2015, 13:36 (Ref:3597074)   #32
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
It could move to Kyalami, as Porsche own it but I suspect that would be a bit far to bring British residents.
Porsche opened an experience centre at Le Mans in June this year, so that could serve UK customers.

All depends on leases and commercial agreements in place and how much JLR want to 'Jaguar' it up without any rival brands on the circuit at all, or if they are going to be just a new owner who is open to working with anyone who helps to make it pay - not an easy task in it's own right!
Old 11 Dec 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3597076)   #33
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
They could continue to run the (Jaguar Land Rover) British Grand Prix, tat would be great publicity/kudos for the company. Plus, the Porsche Experience could quite easily become the Jaguar Experience with a also maybe an additional off-road course for the land Rover experience...
The rally course at Silverstone would fufill that role and has been used as a 4x4 course for some events there, notably the classic I believe.
Old 11 Dec 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3597077)   #34
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
They may not want to call it the JLR BGP as BE will have his invoice pad out for that one!
Old 11 Dec 2015, 15:25 (Ref:3597101)   #35
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More trouble at Silverstone - again!

The thing about the wing building costing so much is what happens when you get big construction companies in, health and safety mad guidelines and money grabbing architects. I work in construction, mainly formwork and concrete shuttered walls. We can do the same job in our small 4 man company as what bentleys etc do, except we are roughly 10x cheaper. These big companies charge an absolute fortune!!
Old 11 Dec 2015, 15:45 (Ref:3597108)   #36
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
And there is still no tunnel / footbridge for paddock access for the Wing section...
Old 14 Dec 2015, 21:01 (Ref:3597791)   #37
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
And there is still no tunnel / footbridge for paddock access for the Wing section...

I know it's a joke, you'd of thought the first stage of planning would of been a tunnel for ease of access. It's all about money though! I don't mean lack either, the wing isn't really for us fans.
it's a place for rich folk, helicopter in before private car to the wing, vip experience then back to helicopter and car.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 21:22 (Ref:3597797)   #38
88racing
Rookie

United Kingdom
nr Milton Keynes, UK
88racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see Porsche wanting to relinquish their Experience Centre - especially after expansion. It gets a lot of use.

From what I've heard it takes the rest of the year's events to recoup the money it costs to host the British F1 GP.

Chris.
Old 15 Dec 2015, 12:46 (Ref:3597942)   #39
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88racing View Post
Can't see Porsche wanting to relinquish their Experience Centre - especially after expansion. It gets a lot of use.

From what I've heard it takes the rest of the year's events to recoup the money it costs to host the British F1 GP.

Chris.
Agree about the Porsche Centre, it took several years to get it built up into the current 'business'. It's even possible to get your race medical and stress ECG done there, and on a Saturday!
Old 5 Jan 2017, 22:57 (Ref:3700414)   #40
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
It seems like Silverstone is seriously looking at activating the break clause in its GP contract because of the escalator clause in the contract. It needs to be done before this years race to take effect in 2019.
Bernie claims to have 2 others circuits willing to run a British GP, question is where and paid for by whom? If a race with a race day attendance of over 100,000 and the one the highest ticket prices out there cannot make money from a GP who can?

Over to you at Liberty Media.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/si...n-2017-863265/
Old 5 Jan 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3700418)   #41
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If a race with a race day attendance of over 100,000 and the one the highest ticket prices out there cannot make money from a GP who can?
Those with subsidies from their friendly neighbourhood political systems seem to do OK.

Not that I'd advocate spending taxpayer's (i.e. my) cash on something as ludicrously expensive as a 90 minute TV event for advertisers, mind you.

If the time has come, the time has come. I'd miss* the British GP but I'd miss Silverstone itself one hell of a lot more.

*I'm missing it this year after the FIA wrangled the calendar a few weeks ago, anyway
Old 6 Jan 2017, 01:33 (Ref:3700439)   #42
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Donnington every complete it's planned works? I know they wouldn't have in time frame given back then, but I did pictures of some earthworks being done.

Of course, finding the hosting fees.....
Old 6 Jan 2017, 07:56 (Ref:3700471)   #43
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Bernie claims to have 2 others circuits willing to run a British GP
He probably does. Except one is in Qatar and one is in Dubai. But they can put a British flag somewhere.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3700472)   #44
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You could never, ever have a GP at Donington again. Tom's son is far more interested in Nazi memorabilia than motor racing, and spends more of the family fortune on that than the track. There have been improvements made, but vey slowly and steadily. And traffic there has always been a nightmare, especially for big events and the knock on impact that has on airport traffic too, people not being able to make flights etc.

It is great that it was saved, but anyone who has been to the museum will see that his interest is only fleeting.

Bernie will be touting the Wales circuit that will never happen, and Palmer would laugh in his face regarding the hosting fees.

So, he is totally lying.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3700479)   #45
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Did Donnington every complete it's planned works? I know they wouldn't have in time frame given back then, but I did pictures of some earthworks being done.

Of course, finding the hosting fees.....
No, almost all of the "GP" works were stillborn. The efforts of the owners (led by Kevin Wheatcroft) since then have been focused on restoring the circuit to its previous state. This is largely complete with some additional improvements. A very considerable amount of money has been spent on the circuit, looks like far in excess of Kevin's personal expenditure on his other interests.

But GP? No sign of that being any more sensible/feasible than it was nine years ago. (Thankfully, as far as I'm concerned.)

Regards

Jim
Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:39 (Ref:3700482)   #46
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Not sure why all of a sudden this is the leading story on the TV evening news. No decision made, and basically they seem to have been mulling this over for the last year or two.

Sadly if Silverstone do decide that F1 is not feasible, the options for a British Gp would seem to be limited:-

Circuit of Wales - which frankly I doubt will ever be built.
Donnington - Cant see this happening for reasons already being discussed.
Street circuit somewhere - Most street circuits are pretty dire, and the logistics of setting one up make this seem unlikely.
I dont think any other British tracks would meet the required standards for modern F1.

I expect some oil rich country with no motorsport history will be willing to step into the breach and host a GP with a nice shiny new tilkedome built in the ass end of nowhere that no spectators will ever visit.

Or maybe an energy drink company will buy silverstone??!! - energy drink companies seem to be taking over the motorsport world - although I dont know anyone who actually drinks the stuff. Perhaps Silverstone could be redeveloped so that the track resembles a big M, or the outline of a male cow.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3700483)   #47
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As an aside regarding Donington, what ever happened to that utter charlatan Gillett?

Where on earth did he end up?
Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3700485)   #48
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
As an aside regarding Donington, what ever happened to that utter charlatan Gillett?

Where on earth did he end up?

Under it?
Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3700486)   #49
Moneyseeker
Veteran

This has the potential to be a tricky one, putting BE aside for a moment, Liberty
won't want to lose the British GP (and I don't believe there is anywhere else to hold it than Silverstone), but will be equally minded that if they give any concessions to Silverstone on the hosting fee, they will have a long line of other circuits with their hand out for the same.

The bottom line is that in it's current form Silverstone can't afford to hold it, we can only presume that the deadline that Warwick set for 'selling' the circuit to an investor or getting a new investor has come and gone like many before them without a deal. To be honest the liability of the GP contract is probably the reason why deals fall over.

Probably their best option is to walk away from the GP contract and see if that gets any real response from Liberty who would then be under pressure themselves from teams/sponsors, the FIA to 'save' the British GP.

Poker time...
Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:15 (Ref:3700494)   #50
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Probably their best option is to walk away from the GP contract and see if that gets any real response from Liberty who would then be under pressure themselves from teams/sponsors, the FIA to 'save' the British GP.
Why do you believe that those you quote would be more exercised about the loss of Sillystone than say the demise of the German or French GPs? And how much "support" did they give Monza over it's own battle to remain on the calendar.

If the teams, for example, can get more money from FOM if they race at, let's say Dubai, than they can do if they go to Northamptonshire, then they will quickly find that it's to their advantage.