Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver is going to win the VASC Driver’s Championship In 2018?
#1 Jamie Whincup RBHRT Holden 6 14.63%
#2 Scott Pye WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#5 Mark Winterbottom Tickford Ford 0 0%
#6 Cameron Waters Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#7 Andre Heimgartner NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#8 Nick Percat BJR Holden 0 0%
#9 David Reynolds Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#12 Fabian Coulthard DJRTP Ford 1 2.44%
#14 Tim Slade BJR Holden 0 0%
#15 Rick Kelly NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#17 Scott McLaughlin DJRTP Ford 22 53.66%
#18 Lee Holdsworth Team18 Holden 0 0%
#19 Jack Le Brocq Tekno Holden 0 0%
#21 Tim Blanchard TBR Holden 0 0%
#23 Michael Caruso NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#25 James Courtney WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#33 Garth Tander GRM Holden 0 0%
#34 James Golding GRM Holden 0 0%
#35 Todd Hazelwood MSR Ford 0 0%
#55 Chaz Mostert Tickford Ford 4 9.76%
#56 Richie Stanaway Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#78 Simona de Silvestro NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#97 Shane van Gisbergen RBHRT Holden 2 4.88%
#99 Anton de Pasquale Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#230 Will Davison 23RED Ford 0 0%
#888 Craig Lowndes ALR Holden 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Jul 2017, 09:05 (Ref:3748845)   #501
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
was a two year contract. Have you heard something?
No, but i'm just wondering how long she'll stick around if the results don't overly improve

WE all know how tough the series is, and how the Nissan's have never done much since 2013, but a driver of her pedigree, who has competed Internationally in open-wheelers, would surely have been expecting better results than she has gotten so far, and there's hardly looking like much hope they will improve much, they've been stuck in the same spot for 5 seasons effectively. How long will she stay interested?
Old 4 Jul 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3748848)   #502
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
No, but i'm just wondering how long she'll stick around if the results don't overly improve

WE all know how tough the series is, and how the Nissan's have never done much since 2013, but a driver of her pedigree, who has competed Internationally in open-wheelers, would surely have been expecting better results than she has gotten so far, and there's hardly looking like much hope they will improve much, they've been stuck in the same spot for 5 seasons effectively. How long will she stay interested?
but we all also knew that the first year was going to be harder. As did Simona

I would expect there is some contractual issue there also, as effectively she was handed a scholarship
Old 4 Jul 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3748898)   #503
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I feel like the Nissans have been on the improve this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I would expect there is some contractual issue there also, as effectively she was handed a scholarship
Surely any manager worth his salt would have a performance clause in there?
Old 4 Jul 2017, 22:55 (Ref:3748985)   #504
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Same manager as Ms Gracie
Old 5 Jul 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3749046)   #505
scr
Rookie

Australia
Australia
scr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Same manager as Ms Gracie
Certainly no performance clause in that contract the !!!
Old 8 Jul 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3749556)   #506
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Homesick? Had a better offer?
Regardless of if she is homesick, I think being a racer she will want to push though and keep with it. If she was to leave now she would have a terrible reputation I feel given how much both Australian and International media has hyped her up.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3749563)   #507
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well it has taken Waters one full season (actually plus some races in 2015 plus two or three development series seasons!) to be competitive. It took Courtney at least 2 seasons to be competitive, same for Van Gisbergen, Whincup, Winterbottom.

Returning to the circuits next year will give a better indication.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3749624)   #508
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
Regardless of if she is homesick, I think being a racer she will want to push though and keep with it. If she was to leave now she would have a terrible reputation I feel given how much both Australian and International media has hyped her up.
She left Indycar and Formula E with results not much better than she is achieving now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks
Well it has taken Waters one full season (actually plus some races in 2015 plus two or three development series seasons!) to be competitive. It took Courtney at least 2 seasons to be competitive, same for Van Gisbergen, Whincup, Winterbottom..
Given she comes form an international pedigree, I think her sights on competitiveness are set a little higher than whatever the likes of Cam Waters, SVG, Whincup or Winterbottom were happy with for season one.

I'll take your Courtney point though

They hyped her signing prior to the start of the year, rookie season or not, the casual fan (who they are targeting to appeal to) is only interested in results.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 01:30 (Ref:3749691)   #509
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
She left Indycar and Formula E with results not much better than she is achieving now?

Given she comes form an international pedigree, I think her sights on competitiveness are set a little higher than whatever the likes of Cam Waters, SVG, Whincup or Winterbottom were happy with for season one.

I'll take your Courtney point though

They hyped her signing prior to the start of the year, rookie season or not, the casual fan (who they are targeting to appeal to) is only interested in results.
How long did it take for Simona to get results in Indy car, I could almost bet she didn't have much success in her first or second year. I am giving it time, I think she can get results and to be honest Nissan haven't started the season overly well but are slowly picking up
Old 9 Jul 2017, 02:44 (Ref:3749699)   #510
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
8 x extra bonus rookie test days with brand new Dunlop tyres for SdS you say?

With the limited testing (on used tyres! how unhelpful) and unusual spool differential, it's not surprising it takes time to become competitive.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3750598)   #511
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... will Mr Moffat stay st GRM next season? Mr Rogers came out in the press recently to suggest it is a possibility, however other noise has the team looking at some younger talent currently in the Super2 series. And no, not currently in any of the cars he has run there.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Jul 2017, 02:06 (Ref:3750599)   #512
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

How about Courtney? Shouldn't Courtney (a good driver IMO) be on the move to be a better team?

I think it is strange that 888 retained Lowndes, instead of signing Courtney to the Caltex car.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 02:12 (Ref:3750600)   #513
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I think it is strange that 888 retained Lowndes, instead of signing Courtney to the Caltex car.
I'm not sure that is strange at all, Lowndes is still one of the most liked and marketable drivers on the grid, despite his qualifying not being what he'd like it to be.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 02:13 (Ref:3750601)   #514
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
How about Courtney? Shouldn't Courtney (a good driver IMO) be on the move to be a better team?

Courtney is under contract for next year, he signed having full understanding where the team was at, so would struggle to gain a release
Old 12 Jul 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3750636)   #515
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I'm not sure that is strange at all, Lowndes is still one of the most liked and marketable drivers on the grid, despite his qualifying not being what he'd like it to be.
Correct.

You could almost guarentee that if Lowndes didn't re-sign, the #888 car would look very different next year, in terms of branding on it.

Not sure what decent seats are available next year, as many drivers signed multi-year contracts at the start of this season. Mr Moffat would be unwise to venture elsewhere at this point. I probably wouldn't even include the two LDM seats as part of the silly season at this point, particularly with regards to drivers already in the maingame. Unless there's a change of management and a significant cash injection...
Old 12 Jul 2017, 08:40 (Ref:3750642)   #516
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... will Mr Moffat stay st GRM next season? Mr Rogers came out in the press recently to suggest it is a possibility, however other noise has the team looking at some younger talent currently in the Super2 series. And no, not currently in any of the cars he has run there.
Where does that leave Golding if Moffat stays?
And if Lowndes leaves 888, I'd imagine Roland would sell or lease out the 3rd rec rather than run someone else in the Caltex car.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 10:00 (Ref:3750659)   #517
simonracer
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
simonracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Super2 series?
Old 12 Jul 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3750669)   #518
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Presumably Super2... where he should have been this year.

Hard to see how Mr Rogers hasn't had to dip into his own pocket to keep the wheels turning this year. The GRM cars have some stickers, but lots of blank spaces.. and no motor manufacturer to show up with free engines and other support
Old 12 Jul 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3750674)   #519
Umai Naa
Veteran

It was hard to understand where Mr Barbera fit into the grand scheme of things, until non-core GRM branding showed up on the #99 car for Townsville.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 11:49 (Ref:3750680)   #520
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It was hard to understand where Mr Barbera fit into the grand scheme of things, until non-core GRM branding showed up on the #99 car for Townsville.
Didn't seem like full car sponsorship (i.e. $$) from IOR either..
Old 12 Jul 2017, 22:44 (Ref:3750823)   #521
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

Roland has no interest in Courtney, James is getting older and if Craig was to retire then Roland I'd say would bring up a younger person, he'd be on the search for someone like Waters, I'd even say if Lowndes did leave this year when people were speculating (thankfully he didn't) I'd say Roland was even looking at Dave as a back up. Reynolds has shown with Erebus he is no failed talent, PRA gave him up too early and they are paying for it, I don't think last season was a lack of funding as Edwards claimed because if it was they would still be going backwards. It was a simple fact that PRA didn't have the experience of Dave and Frosty working with Cam and Chaz. PRA wont admit it but that's how it pretty much is. 2015 they had a good combination with all 4 drivers and then blew it last year, as PRA always does (I'm a PRA fan too but they aren't known for being smart)
Old 12 Jul 2017, 22:51 (Ref:3750825)   #522
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
And if Lowndes leaves 888, I'd imagine Roland would sell or lease out the 3rd rec rather than run someone else in the Caltex car.
I dare say he would have. I said Roland could have been looking at the likes of Reynolds, Waters or Mostert but reality is Roland only started that third REC for Craig and has let the public know a number of times. Caltex want Craig so if James was to go to triple at they would lose Caltex along with a number of other sponsors under Craig. When one of the two, Craig or Jamie step back to co driver duties Triple 8 you would almost expect will be two car again. I wonder if SVG is going to play the bored or homesick card again if DJRTP become the major powerhouse with Triple 8 second best for 3 to 5th placings.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3750827)   #523
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
Reynolds has shown with Erebus he is no failed talent, PRA gave him up too early and they are paying for it, I don't think last season was a lack of funding as Edwards claimed because if it was they would still be going backwards. It was a simple fact that PRA didn't have the experience of Dave and Frosty working with Cam and Chaz. PRA wont admit it but that's how it pretty much is. 2015 they had a good combination with all 4 drivers and then blew it last year, as PRA always does (I'm a PRA fan too but they aren't known for being smart)
PRA wanted to keep Dave but there was no sponsor coverage, with Waters banging on the door and Monster $$ waiting. Reynolds wasnt "given up".
Old 13 Jul 2017, 00:36 (Ref:3750834)   #524
Umai Naa
Veteran

Triple Eight won't want Reynolds, for the same reasons they showed no interest in Mr Murphy - unable to communicate what the car is doing to the engineering group.

The likes of Whincup, Lowndes, and van Gisbergen, will spend hours and hours going over the data, and offer corner-by-corner analysis of a lap. Ambrose used to be the same, however he soon discovered he'd lost that part of his driving when he made his comeback.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 00:43 (Ref:3750836)   #525
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Stanaway quits Europe for Supercars

Will be interesting to see where he might fit

I think ideally a Dunlop drive, combined with wildcards and an enduro drive At (PRA) is the most likely fit